British Speedway Forum

i think you're just seeing a rider at the top of his game in Madsen.

a MASSIVE part of speedway is confidence, and everyone has their limits to how far they will push. even that very tiny 100th of a second faster into a turn and that adds up over 4 laps.

some go that extra because of what's in their head.

**edit - and after watching Troy Batchelor last week, my first thought was that his partner is pregnant. Troy is a good rider, you don't just drop like that. i think when he comes to terms with riding while his partner is pregnant, he'll be scoring points again, but he'll need to ride.

seen it with plenty of riders, i'm not going to name any more, but has a baby on the way/had a baby, and form dips pretty hard.

confidence

Edited by stevehone
  • Like 1

The Madsen / Chugunov race has been put on Facebook in a couple of places and you’ve got people moaning about the track and saying they’ve seen better racing at Lakeside :rolleyes:

I honestly think some British fans just aren’t prepared to enjoy Polish speedway which is a pity for them. It’s not been brilliant but there has been the odd superb race and enough good ones to make it worth watching. 

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 3

Anything is more exciting when it is ‘your’ team. You can just pick a team and make it yours, but if you have no real affinity with a polish or Swedish or Czech team then it is really often boring. And tbh I have seen my own team in a boring meeting or two where the track announcer was getting all worked up because the score was close. That is his job, but the meeting was still boring.....

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

I honestly think some British fans just aren’t prepared to enjoy Polish speedway which is a pity for them. It’s not been brilliant but there has been the odd superb race and enough good ones to make it worth watching. 

I know it can't be helped... but isn't it ironic that the BSPL went with the Eurosport TV deal to attract Polish viewers & sponsors and we in Britain all end up watching Polish speedway on Premier TV :rofl:

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

The Madsen / Chugunov race has been put on Facebook in a couple of places and you’ve got people moaning about the track and saying they’ve seen better racing at Lakeside :rolleyes:

100%.

And as a watcher of Polish Speedway over the past few years,  it gets even better when the crowds are filling the stadiums to capacity.. 

The racing seems to take on even more of an edge when tens of thousands of fans are either screaming out in adulation, or disgust at their riders..

This year there has been some cracking racing, and I think some fans just equate passing in races as a benchmark to their standard..

In Poland you seldom get one rider miles in front of everyone else given there is usually two decent world level heat leaders in most races, and many of the races have two seperate battles for 1st and 2nd and then 3rd and 4th, given the close nature of the standards of the riders..

You can have some great racing with no passing at all, eg cant remember which race the other day, but it ended 5-1 to Czestowocha but it looked like synchronised speedway with the Wroclaw riders riding five yards behind for virtually the whole of the race, trying to find a way through.. (Might have been Woffy and Chugunov?)

The whole experience from the mechanics in club colours, the fans in club colour T shirts, through to the 2 mins use and start marshall/ref communication to align the riders straight and right up to the tapes, and then the racing itself, is truly light years ahead of what we have over here..

And that's no disrespect to British Speedway as that it the way it should be with the millions of PLN it attracts..

But to think what we see in the UK is better, I do have to say is pushing the boundaries of reality a little bit far..

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, mikebv said:

The 2 mins use and start marshall/ref communication to align the riders straight and right up to the tapes, and then the racing itself, is truly light years ahead of what we have over here.

I've been watching the "rewind" meetings on the British Speedway YouTube channel... I thought it was quite comical watching last night's Coventry vs King's Lynn match from 2011 with riders seemingly attached with invisible elastic to the tapes as they kept rolling backwards and forwards to and from the tapes... And the week before Danny King quite clearly exceeded the 2 minutes time allowance before the first running of the final... Like in society at the moment once you let these little things go anarchy soon prevails

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iainb said:

I've been watching the "rewind" meetings on the British Speedway YouTube channel... I thought it was quite comical watching last night's Coventry vs King's Lynn match from 2011 with riders seemingly attached with invisible elastic to the tapes as they kept rolling backwards and forwards to and from the tapes... And the week before Danny King quite clearly exceeded the 2 minutes time allowance before the first running of the final... Like in society at the moment once you let these little things go anarchy soon prevails

It was also mentioned on this thread how it clearly helps to reduce first bend incidents too, by having all riders leaving the tapes in an arrow straight line...

Rather than the all four firing off in different directions like we can get over here..

It sometimes resembles the start of Wacky Races...:D

The ref and marshall are linked up too, so should a rider roll back when the marshall's back is turned when he moves on to another rider, or even if he goes straight into 'under starters orders' mode, the ref will let him know if anyone has moved and he goes back and sorts them out again...

With some conviction and authority..

Be ready to race when the 2 mins clock expires following the marshall's instructions..

Or you are out...

So simple and yet so effective...

And so professional....

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, mikebv said:

It was also mentioned on this thread how it clearly helps to reduce first bend incidents too, by having all riders leaving the tapes in an arrow straight line...

Rather than the all four firing off in different directions like we can get over here..

It's sometimes resembles the start of Wacky Races...:D

The ref and marshall are linked up too, so should a rider roll back when the marshall's back is turned when he moves on to another rider, or even if he goes straight into 'under starters orders' mode, the ref will let him know if anyone has moved and he goes back and sorts them out again...

With some conviction and authority..

Be ready to race when the 2 mins clock expires following the marshall's instructions..

Or you are out...

So simple and yet so effective...

And so professional....

The starting procedure in Poland is streets ahead of UK, think a 2 min clock Should be made compulsory in UK for starters.The riders don’t mess the Start Marshal  about in Poland and it all runs fairly smoothly.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, iainb said:

I have, also, been viewing quite a few rewind meetings & races on YouTube & there has been a few when even the riders have come to the tapes, the riders do their gardening then adjust the clutch lever. The video clip has sometimes run to 1.20 - 1.30 minutes.

In the 10 or 12 meetings that Poland have had, how many heats have had restarts because of movement or tape infringements? Probably less than we have in ONE meeting!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

The starting procedure in Poland is streets ahead of UK, think a 2 min clock Should be made compulsory in UK for starters.The riders don’t mess the Start Marshal  about in Poland and it all runs fairly smoothly.

Have you any idea how much a 2 minute clock costs? Maybe they could do like they did with the track covers and ferry it about between clubs... come to think of it, whatever happened to the track covers? Maybe it's with Colin Meredith's elastic band starting gate mechanism replacement kit :rofl:

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Are you saying that British tracks have no 2xminute clock and no radio link between Start Marshall and Referee's box??  Clearly not been to Poole lately!!!

I cannot comment on other tracks as I am unable to visit these days!!

9 minutes ago, iainb said:

Have you any idea how much a 2 minute clock costs? Maybe they could do like they did with the track covers and ferry it about between clubs... come to think of it, whatever happened to the track covers? Maybe it's with Colin Meredith's elastic band starting gate mechanism replacement kit :rofl:

Or use two thirds of a sand egg timer?

• Like 1

Teams  announced for Friday`s matches

Gorzow v Czestochowa

Gorzow

9 Zmarzlik

10 NKI

11 Kasprzak

12 Wozniak

13 Thomsen

14  Jasinski

15 Karczmarz

Czestochowa

1 Doyle

2 Holta

3 Lindgren

4 Przedpelski

5 Madsen

6 Miskowiak

7 Swidnicki

Lublin v Rybnik

Lublin

9 G Laguta

10 Jamrog

11 Hampel

12 Zagar

13 Michelsen

14 Lampart

15 Trofymov

16 Bober

Rybnik

1 Milik

2 Miedzinski

3 Lebedevs

4 Logachev

5 Woryna

6 Nowacki

7 Tudziez

Edited by racers and royals

49 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Are you saying that British tracks have no 2xminute clock and no radio link between Start Marshall and Referee's box??  Clearly not been to Poole lately!!!

Certain tracks I have visited don’t have 2min.Clock and certainly no Radio Link between Start Marshall and Ref.Im a saying it should be made compulsory.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Blimey - Poole will be getting a track man next :)

• Haha 8