British Speedway Forum

With everything that’s going on in the world and it’s been a while since I’ve seen any speedway I kind of forgot how much some modern riders are prima donnas where there is a bit of rain around 

• Like 5

No NKI for Gorzow on Sunday- he did fall in training and taken to Hospital so must be still battered and bruised. Gorzow have yet to decide what to do. One option is R/R (ZZ-Zmarzlik gets a ride) however if they do NKI won`t be able  to ride for 14 days- the other option is to use Kamil Brzozowski.

Edited by racers and royals

2 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

With everything that’s going on in the world and it’s been a while since I’ve seen any speedway I kind of forgot how much some modern riders are prima donnas where there is a bit of rain around 

Peter Waite would have had Billy the Bowser out watering that track tonight,:D

• Like 1

9 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

To be fair, these modern engines that rev to the heavens and if a track is unpredictable it could be very dangerous. lets be honest, riders safety comes first 

13 minutes ago, sommelier said:

To be fair, these modern engines that rev to the heavens and if a track is unpredictable it could be very dangerous. lets be honest, riders safety comes first 

Rider safety comes first is a contradiction in itself ,if it came first then the sport would make riders use a more adaptable engine, the engine used today is power and nothing else, safety doesn’t even come into it ,speedway is dangerous, if you don’t like it don’t ride 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Rider safety comes first is a contradiction in itself ,if it came first then the sport would make riders use a more adaptable engine, the engine used today is power and nothing else, safety doesn’t even come into it ,speedway is dangerous, if you don’t like it don’t ride 

I take it you have ridden a modern engine that revs to 13500 RPM! GM & Jawa build, develop engines for the modern tracks, ie Sweden Poland big smooth wide open bends. under NORMAL conditions the engines work fine. These are not 2 valve Jawa's or even 1975 Weslakes!!!

1 hour ago, sommelier said:

I take it you have ridden a modern engine that revs to 13500 RPM! GM & Jawa build, develop engines for the modern tracks, ie Sweden Poland big smooth wide open bends. under NORMAL conditions the engines work fine. These are not 2 valve Jawa's or even 1975 Weslakes!!!

Yes I have, I got one in my workshop and I’ve got a long stroke GM from 15 years ago and I’ve got a weslake and a 2 valve Jawa and have ridden them all, the modern engine in fine if the conditions are good but when they are not which in our sport is quite often, more adaptable engines could be used in the sport, everyone knows this even the modern superstars but nobody will do anything about it, calling of meetings is doing and has done the sport no favours at all, apart from expense absolutely nothing has been gained by the evolution of the engine we have today, racing is no better or worse than years ago but the balance of engine/rider has changed dramatically especially on bigger tracks and all that has done is push the cost up, nobody is saying a return to a 2 valve or a weslake and there is nothing wrong with the angle of the engine but when it comes to safety it doesn’t even get considered when you’re talking about the engine, it’s all about getting the edge and that means higher risk 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Yes I have, I got one in my workshop and I’ve got a long stroke GM from 15 years ago and I’ve got a weslake and a 2 valve Jawa and have ridden them all, the modern engine in fine if the conditions are good but when they are not which in our sport is quite often, more adaptable engines could be used in the sport, everyone knows this even the modern superstars but nobody will do anything about it, calling of meetings is doing and has done the sport no favours at all, apart from expense absolutely nothing has been gained by the evolution of the engine we have today, racing is no better or worse than years ago but the balance of engine/rider has changed dramatically especially on bigger tracks and all that has done is push the cost up 

Push the cost up ? A brand new GM is only £5500, how reasonable is that in Motor Racing terms.  

4 minutes ago, sommelier said:

Push the cost up ? A brand new GM is only £5500, how reasonable is that in Motor Racing terms.  

That In real terms last around 40 mins before it needs money spent on it, the cost of the purchase of the engine is not the cost of racing speedway 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

19 minutes ago, sommelier said:

Very reasonable at entry level for a basic bike, however..

As one rider once told me, he can spend almost as much again adding on all the latest "must have parts" to compete with those who already have them, and then getting it "race ready tuned"..

And he had three bikes...

Then it isnt so cheap, and riders then basically each spend fortunes from their salaries, or donations from sponsors, to all end up with the same type of kit, being tuned by many of the same people..

Hundred of Thousands (even Millions?) all spent for many to effectively run to stand still, but much, much less than that invested in actually improving the spectacle of the racing and the overall entertainment experience..?

A strange model to follow and one that might be worth a moment or two for someone to review and change maybe?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

That In real terms last around 40 mins before it needs money spent on it, the cost of the purchase of the engine is not the cost of racing speedway 

That’s if your lucky enough to get it to 40 mins dean .plenty haven’t 

5 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Hundred of Thousands (even Millions?) all spent for many to effectively run to stand still, but much, much less than that invested in actually improving the spectacle of the racing and the overall entertainment experience..?

A strange model to follow and one that might be worth a moment or two for someone to review and change maybe?

That pretty much sums up modern speedway, the knowledge is there unfortunately the will isn’t