British Speedway Forum

23 minutes ago, KeirStarmerFan said:

According to Sportowefakty, Iversen is definitely not riding.

It looks like that they will operate rider replacement for him, which means that Bartosz gets an extra ride.

How's that right one above him is Wozniak ,if they do that apparently he can't ride for 14days after is that right 

3 hours ago, Fromafar said:

The rebels better watch their step then,if that was the case then.IMO

You don’t mess with Polish Promoters there is only one winner there.

Do they have many headless horses over there? 

• Haha 1

From Sportowefakty article today- google translation

" Of course, you can also find pros throughout this story. Substitute a competitor is six runs for world champion Bartosz Zmarzlik."

8 hours ago, Najjer said:

There is so much more on offer when you compare Polish speedway to British speedway - and the whole spectacle you mention is exactly right. 

Going to a big stadium with a great atmosphere would make it an enjoyable experience even for someone who wasn’t a fan. When you compare that to riders going round on a clapped out pick up truck in Britain with a track in a field and 80s music being played through tinny speakers, it’s just not anywhere near the same experience. That’s before you even get into the speedway itself on offer. 

A lot boils down to the money on offer but Poland have nailed it and is the absolute pinnacle of team speedway. British speedway now just has to do what it can to get by.

But it's Poland, I live in the UK, my team are the King's Lynn Stars, I couldn't give two hoots about any Polish team :D

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Najjer said:

There is so much more on offer when you compare Polish speedway to British speedway - and the whole spectacle you mention is exactly right. 

Going to a big stadium with a great atmosphere would make it an enjoyable experience even for someone who wasn’t a fan. When you compare that to riders going round on a clapped out pick up truck in Britain with a track in a field and 80s music being played through tinny speakers, it’s just not anywhere near the same experience. That’s before you even get into the speedway itself on offer. 

A lot boils down to the money on offer but Poland have nailed it and is the absolute pinnacle of team speedway. British speedway now just has to do what it can to get by.

The backing Poland has is also a huge sway. I was watching a video last week, I think it was the PM or a significant political person who happens to be a huge speedway fan. All the local councils back it, they have great tv and other sponsorships. That they have started racing with empty stadiums tells you everything. If we did that here, it would implode. When you have a set of circumstances like that it’s so easy to build a successful business. 

Until local councils invest in speedway as a leisure business instead of approving stadium demolitions, then we will never have the chance to replicate what happens over there. And of course they won’t do that if there isn’t demand, and dwindling supporter numbers really does drive that, and that is where promoters can step in and start to change the demographic of supporter. If we had full stadiums, big sponsorship and great tv deals there is no way half of what happens today would be occurring. It happens because next to nobody cares.

We haven’t recycled the supporter base and that is ultimately what will kill the sport here.

Sometimes sports just fly in certain places. Football in this nation is huge, but conversely has nowhere near the following in Poland. 

It’s horses for courses and it would seem the UK at the moment doesn’t have a horse.

Edited by acef
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Yes we are where we are but that problem has been around for a few years now, when do you think would be a good time to actually start to address the problem ? Or shall we just wait 20 years and see if global warming kicks in and we get drier weather, proactive sports prosper, reactive sports suffer, sadly speedway is neither and fans have the same debates for ever after until they get fed up and don’t go anymore 

Who would govern that type of change? The FIM? 

If it isn’t happening, then I’d guess someone is stopping it, and it’s probably Poland. They are the big house and what they have is working. They won’t want to mess with that.

There would be a huge cost implication and the general balance of how the sport operates would be hurt. Engine tuners, riders, clubs, promoters. They’d all have something to say about it. What you are suggesting is a pretty big reform and stuff like that tends not to happen unless something with lots of power and backing says so.

18 hours ago, racers and royals said:

We move on to tomorrow- weather forecast looks good.

Sunday June 14th Rybnik v Zielona Gora programme starts 3pm 1st race  3.30pm  N Sport and Premier Sport

Sunday June 14th Gorzow v Leszno programme starts 5.45pm 1st race  6.15pm N Sport and Premier Sport

Links

http://www.maniak.tv/mk7

http://www.drhtv.com.pl/drhtv-3.html

http://spedway.ucoz.lv/

Downloadable racecard for Rybnik match http://row.rybnik.com.pl/pliki/ROW program - 2020-07-14 falubaz - WEB.pdf    pages 10 and 11

Add https://daddylive.live/channels/stream-16.php

Downloadable racecard  for Gorzow match  is available on the pge ekstraliga app( i can`t link the pdf)

Edited by racers and royals

What other forms of regular motor sport take place in Poland? In UK there are many bike and car racing circuits, large and small plus local moto-x, trials, grass track, karting, rallying activities, but I never see anything about Poland. There must be some activity because there have been a few top class drivers like Robert Kubica but maybe the success of speedway in Poland is partly down to the lack of alternatives?

11 hours ago, Trees said:

But it's Poland, I live in the UK, my team are the King's Lynn Stars, I couldn't give two hoots about any Polish team :D

That’s absolutely fine - like I said in my previous post you have to take it for what it is. British Speedway is what it is and it’s upto you whether you feel you are happy with what’s on offer for the price being charged.

I still class myself as a Somerset fan but no longer feel I get value for money there now. I’m choosing to watch Poland as I’m still a speedway fan also and everybody wants the best. 

I won't watch Polish speedway as i feel they are trying to dictate to others.They seem to be trying to ruin speedway in other countries to benefit themselves.

1 hour ago, Wee Eck said:

What other forms of regular motor sport take place in Poland? In UK there are many bike and car racing circuits, large and small plus local moto-x, trials, grass track, karting, rallying activities, but I never see anything about Poland. There must be some activity because there have been a few top class drivers like Robert Kubica but maybe the success of speedway in Poland is partly down to the lack of alternatives?

Watching Polish Sports, they do seem to follow Handball and Volleyball in numbers, with some of those players being well known nationally. .

Their football leagues have no teams averaging over 20000 each season and several in the top league average less than 5000 a game. 

This means that most of Poland's top footballers ply their trade outside of the country to gain higher salaries..

Speedway on the other hand, brings 'world stars' to their towns...

And they also of course have loads of 'world class' riders from their own country to follow, which must make a positive difference to the level of national media coverage they recieve...

Plus running at weekend isn't a bad idea for a sport. Opening your doors when people can get there in numbers is always a plus point...

(Although this weekends crowds didn't seem too good)...;)

7 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Watching Polish Sports, they do seem to follow Handball and Volleyball in numbers, with some of those players being well known nationally. .

Their football leagues have no teams averaging over 20000 each season and several in the top league average less than 5000 a game. 

This means that most of Poland's top footballers ply their trade outside of the country to gain higher salaries..

Speedway on the other hand, brings 'world stars' to their towns...

And they also of course have loads of 'world class' riders from their own country to follow, which must make a positive difference to the level of national media coverage they recieve...

Plus running at weekend isn't a bad idea for a sport. Opening your doors when people can get there in numbers is always a plus point...

(Although this weekends crowds didn't seem too good)...;)

Don't forget they have had one or two top Ski Jumpers, who are amongst the top sports personalities in the country. Plus one or two top boxers, who I think also manage to attract decent crowds from the US polish community

1 hour ago, Najjer said:

That’s absolutely fine - like I said in my previous post you have to take it for what it is. British Speedway is what it is and it’s upto you whether you feel you are happy with what’s on offer for the price being charged.

I still class myself as a Somerset fan but no longer feel I get value for money there now. I’m choosing to watch Poland as I’m still a speedway fan also and everybody wants the best. 

This goes off the Polish topic, sorry, but why do you not get value at Somerset ?  

Edited by Mark