British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
old bob at herne bay

SGB 2021 confirmed signings

Thought I would kick this one off early, as the realists amongst us realise that the 2020  British Speedway season will not happen. 

• No clubs in the UK can afford to run behind closed doors. 
  • No clubs in the UK have the resources to safely manage crowds attending thier stadia under social distancing rules.
  • No club in the UK can expect crowd levels approaching those of 2019 to come into their stadia, which will have no facilities open.

With just the Polish Ekstraliga kidding itself that it can start in June,  (heaven knows what happens when a rider is injured and requires medical supervision.  ) If it goes ahead it will be like watching the timed SGP practice sessions. 

Surely now is the time for the  BSPA to get together on a Zoom call and start planning 2021. They need to engage with all he riders and all the clubs to agree how the sport can rise from the ashes of 2020 and survive. ?

12 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Thought I would kick this one off early, as the realists amongst us realise that the 2020  British Speedway season will not happen. 

• No clubs in the UK can afford to run behind closed doors. 
  • No clubs in the UK have the resources to safely manage crowds attending thier stadia under social distancing rules.
  • No club in the UK can expect crowd levels approaching those of 2019 to come into their stadia, which will have no facilities open.

With just the Polish Ekstraliga kidding itself that it can start in June,  (heaven knows what happens when a rider is injured and requires medical supervision.  ) If it goes ahead it will be like watching the timed SGP practice sessions. 

Surely now is the time for the  BSPA to get together on a Zoom call and start planning 2021. They need to engage with all he riders and all the clubs to agree how the sport can rise from the ashes of 2020 and survive. ?

Already in hand I was reliably told.

1 hour ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Perhaps this....

https://t.co/rK9ElLQ9aA

Trust British Speedway to take something that could be simple and complicate it. If, and it’s a big if, we get any meetings this season make them individuals etc. and start making a plan now to improve the sport starting from the 2021 season. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ben91 said:

Trust British Speedway to take something that could be simple and complicate it. If, and it’s a big if, we get any meetings this season make them individuals etc. and start making a plan now to improve the sport starting from the 2021 season. 

Why is it complicated, If the effort and cooperation is there, why not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hyderd said:

Why is it complicated, If the effort and cooperation is there, why not.

There is no need to stretch things out until the end of next season. If the plan is to have six home and six away in 2020 then draw a line under it after that. Season complete albeit a short one. What is being proposed is a season in which we have three home and away fixtures between each club. That sounds incredibly boring and repetitive. Not to mention clubs may not survive the winter and some may want to start racing in 2021. There is a simple solution and yet people are not happy unless they add needless complications. 

Thanks for replies .....

Oh dear, still some clinging to a dream of racing in 2020. Stuff the format of the league that’s not the issue. 
This virus isn’t just going to disappear overnight by July or August. ! 

No thought to how you safely accommodate several hundred spectators spaced 2m apart , allowing them safe access and egress to the stadium ... and safe use of basic welfare facilities ... or are they meant to cross their legs for 3 hours?  

I wait to see how the Polish Ekstraliga will safely run behind closed doors .... 

5 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Thanks for replies .....

Oh dear, still some clinging to a dream of racing in 2020. Stuff the format of the league that’s not the issue. 
This virus isn’t just going to disappear overnight by July or August. ! 

No thought to how you safely accommodate several hundred spectators spaced 2m apart , allowing them safe access and egress to the stadium ... and safe use of basic welfare facilities ... or are they meant to cross their legs for 3 hours?  

I wait to see how the Polish Ekstraliga will safely run behind closed doors .... 

Probably how German football has ran?

And F1 will run?

ie. Marshalled and clearly signed as to where you can stand or sit, a list detailing who can come in and how many are allowed to do so, and each person with the correct PPE for their role..

Similar as to how thousands and thousands of businesses have kept running (inside rather than outside) during the crisis..

• Like 2

So after the 12 2020 fixtures a team is dock bottom.Where does this leave the boss as they attempt to "promote" the 2021 season of have gullable mugs been sold a "one and a half season ticket"?

Thanks Mike BV for your opinion. 

Yes I agree Running   behind closed doors has a CHANCE of safely proceeding ....  You mentioned F1 ......with its HUGE travelling entourage which has to somehow reach the worldwide venues. Still they have deep pockets and I am sure money will buy a lot of “safety systems. “ 

Not so for British Speedway which really ought to stop wasting effort on a dream of operating in 2020. 

• Like 2

British Speedway is not popular enough for running behind closed doors to be viable. The top two divisions of German football are running behind closed doors (no fans whatsoever) but there is a demand for them to play and to complete their season. There is also the little matter of them having more money coming in from sources other than paying fans on the gate that make it more viable, sponsorship and TV rights etc. 

Riders aren’t going to ride for free and although I don’t know what the financial element of the new TV deal with Eurosport is I’d be shocked if it was enough to fund even half a season of top flight Speedway here. 

If Speedway runs a meeting anytime soon it will be one of the few times it will get mainstream media coverage. I mean it will be coverage when the sport is being utterly ridiculed for doing something so daft, but mainstream media coverage, beggars can't be choosers. 

On 5/18/2020 at 10:28 AM, Hacksaw Jim Duggan said:

If Speedway runs a meeting anytime soon it will be one of the few times it will get mainstream media coverage. I mean it will be coverage when the sport is being utterly ridiculed for doing something so daft, but mainstream media coverage, beggars can't be choosers. 

Even if it was the only sport to run it wouldn't get any mainstream media local maybe as it does so often now but mainstream media would rather look at gossip/rumours in football, boxing, cricket, F1 etc. 

If it was me, I'd get Mr Cummings in to show us how and when it's safe to start speedway again.......................................................................................then do the opposite.:D