British Speedway Forum
JohnHyam

A voice of reason?

The Northwest Passage is now closed to shipping. Its one of the earliest times to happen in history... 

4 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

The Northwest Passage is now closed to shipping. Its one of the earliest times to happen in history... 

What does that mean,,, in lamens terms?

Actually had a tv report from these guys a few days ago

If you look at the two charts, they Ocean ice in the Arctic is at a very low level (the red line), but in the Antarctic it is actually at a high level !!!

https://www.meereisportal.de/

5 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

What does that mean,,, in lamens terms?

It's ruddy cold up there :) The grand solar minimum we have recently entered is probably kicking in ...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

It's ruddy cold up there :) The grand solar minimum we have recently entered is probably kicking in ...

Arr ok, does that mean the polar bears will be ok?,,, I was lead to believe that everything was melting.:blink:

4 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Arr ok, does that mean the polar bears will be ok?,,, I was lead to believe that everything was melting.:blink:

In the first week of September, sea ice extent took a sharp downward turn, exceeding the pace of decline for any previous year during that period, and placing the 2020 sea ice minimum firmly as second lowest—after 2012—in the 42-year continuous satellite record. Pulses of warm air from north-central Siberia are responsible for the late downward trend. Sea ice decline has slowed in the past few days, and the annual minimum is imminent

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

1 minute ago, iris123 said:

In the first week of September, sea ice extent took a sharp downward turn, exceeding the pace of decline for any previous year during that period, and placing the 2020 sea ice minimum firmly as second lowest—after 2012—in the 42-year continuous satellite record. Pulses of warm air from north-central Siberia are responsible for the late downward trend. Sea ice decline has slowed in the past few days, and the annual minimum is imminent

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

Emmm, ok thanks.

Actually I did see a post from Nicolai Busk Jakobsen, who is now working in Greenland, that the first snow of the new season fell over the weekend

The updated info from yesterday

Sea ice ticker No. 54, September 18, 2020: minimum ice extent reached

After the summer months of June and July 2020 had already shown minimum values in the 42-year time series of ice expansions, this trend continues in September, which emphasizes the importance of Arctic warming as an early warning system for global climate change. The monthly mean value for August was 5.03 million km² and was the third-lowest extent since 1979 after 2012 and 2019. The ice extent on August 31 was 4.19 million km² and increased by about 1.85 in the course of this month alone Millions of km² decreased, which corresponds to an area 5 times Germany's. After the ice retreat was somewhat slower in late July and early August, it accelerated again from August 6th. In the second half of August as well as in the first half of September, a strong ice retreat in the Canadian Basin was observed, which on September 9th led to the lowest ice extent of 3.784 million km² this summer. This value has stabilized in the last few days and we assume that this year's minimum has been reached. This makes 2020 the year of the second lowest ice extent in the Arctic since 1979 and was 510,000 km² above the historical minimum of 2012. Eight of the ten lowest ice extents have occurred since 2010! The meteorological conditions that occurred in July and August and showed a pronounced heat anomaly over the central Arctic are one of the reasons for this sharp decline in sea ice. Over the summer it led to air temperatures deviating to 925 hPa (approx. 760 m altitude) of over 6 ° Celsius compared to the long-term mean for the years 1981 to 2010. These conditions in the central Arctic were due to a stable, pronounced air pressure anomaly, especially in July manifested when the high pressure area lay over Siberia and the central Arctic. With the associated wind currents, the warm continental air masses of Siberia were driven into the central Arctic. Since the ice was already thin at the edges at this time of year, this could have forced the ice to melt. The ice melt was also influenced by the warm sea surface temperatures. In the Barents, Kara and Laptev Seas as well as in the Siberian Sea, these were above the long-term average. A detailed assessment of this year's sea ice minimum is given here.

https://www.meereisportal.de/mosaic/meereisticker/

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ruffdiamond said:

Where can I take my dog? 

Somewhere with no Polar Bears, it may become lunch. I stick to dog friendly cottages on the Broads myself...

• Thanks 1

Friday’s for future back on the streets of Germany. Around 16,000 in Hamburg yesterday , wearing face masks and keeping their distance from each other. No record of people feinting because they couldn’t breath, no right wing flags flying or conspiracy theories being mentioned. No doubt the lizards were controlling it all

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.abendblatt.de/hamburg/article230521314/Hamburger-Klimaschuetzer-bringen-Protest-auf-die-Strasse-Klimademo-Hamburg-Fridays-for-Future-Blog-Kundgebung-Corona-Klimaschutz.html%3fservice=amp

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Friday’s for future back on the streets of Germany. Around 16,000 in Hamburg yesterday , wearing face masks and keeping their distance from each other. No record of people feinting because they couldn’t breath, no right wing flags flying or conspiracy theories being mentioned. No doubt the lizards were controlling it all

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.abendblatt.de/hamburg/article230521314/Hamburger-Klimaschuetzer-bringen-Protest-auf-die-Strasse-Klimademo-Hamburg-Fridays-for-Future-Blog-Kundgebung-Corona-Klimaschutz.html%3fservice=aj I'm

I'm sure that Dr. Blucrumpet and the KBF will be along shortly to refute everything.

• Haha 1