British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
andout

Help needed with this programme...High Beech 1948

When I was young I used to make up pretend matches by rolling red, blue, white and yellow marbles down a shute.

Who knows? If there is no trsce of this match maybe somebody was also playing marble speedway in 1948.

I just threw a dice. If a 1 came up the rider got 1 etc until all riders in the race had 3-2-1-0 and so on

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grachan said:

When I was young I used to make up pretend matches by rolling red, blue, white and yellow marbles down a shute.

Who knows? If there is no trsce of this match maybe somebody was also playing marble speedway in 1948.

I don't know if anyone remembers a board game called Wembley. It was a football game, the idea being to win the FA Cup. All the League teams of the time were included. So as not to get silly results, but to retain the possibility of upsets, there were six different dice, so that red was a First Division Team at home down to white being a third division team away. I can't remember now what the actual numbers were on each side of the dice, but the red dice would include high numbers (5&4) and perhaps just one zero, whereas the white dice would have 2 or 3 zeros and so on.

If you're still awake, what I am leading to is that the way I played speedway was with these dice, by throwing red for the home heat leader, down to the white for the away reserve. For individual trophies, I gave the Big Five the red dice and so on. Bob Andrews once won one of my World Championship Finals!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, norbold said:

I don't know if anyone remembers a board game called Wembley. It was a football game, the idea being to win the FA Cup. All the League teams of the time were included. So as not to get silly results, but to retain the possibility of upsets, there were six different dice, so that red was a First Division Team at home down to white being a third division team away. I can't remember now what the actual numbers were on each side of the dice, but the red dice would include high numbers (5&4) and perhaps just one zero, whereas the white dice would have 2 or 3 zeros and so on.

If you're still awake, what I am leading to is that the way I played speedway was with these dice, by throwing red for the home heat leader, down to the white for the away reserve. For individual trophies, I gave the Big Five the red dice and so on. Bob Andrews once won one of my World Championship Finals!

Most of my riders tended to get 5 or 6 points!

2 hours ago, Grachan said:

Blimey, so did I!

It wasn't one that built up 4 levels with a hole in each level was it? That's what I had.

One day I'll explain Chilton Foliat to you

3 hours ago, DC2 said:

Blimey, so did I!

For me, it was a gap on the floor between two rugs!

Thanks for all your comments......I too feel this is a bit of a fake.....No idea who the "Smiths" are either.

I'll hang on to it......

Maybe Ronnie Smith was a Wimbledon rider.....LOL

Edited by andout
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chunky said:

For me, it was a gap on the floor between two rugs!

Darn, didn’t think of that.  Sometimes though one marble would “get a bit of grip” by being hit from one behind, especially if I curved my hand (the starting tapes) in a certain way for Martin Ashby.  ;)

1 hour ago, andout said:

Maybe Ronnie Smith was a Wimbledon rider.....LOL

I believe that later in life his daughter married a Mr Mussett and their son became a speedway rider....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, norbold said:

I believe that later in life his daughter married a Mr Mussett and their son became a speedway rider....

Love it........

Just thinking... All of us spending that time as kids recreating speedway at home, it is clear how and why we all lost our marbles... :party:

• Haha 3