British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

League to run over two seasons

Given the possible shortage of riders, they should maybe be giving some thought to running Danish style 5 man teams or even basing the season around 4 Team tournaments.

37 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

Daft idea.

Run whatever short season that can be done this season and start afresh in 2021.

Keep it simple.

Why is it daft? Some clubs might run half-a-dozen meetings late on this year while Kent might not but then run ALL their fixtures (20/21) in 2021. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, HGould said:

Seems look a good idea to me.

Soccer does it; Rugby does it; other Sports do it.

Better to have same teams for 2 years (1 season) than possibly see a team ride 5-6 times and then split up

Gives riders sure contract for 2021 and guaranteed rides.

Rare to see something so sensible 

You are presuming that all the riders signed this year will ride this year, and then will want to ride for the same teams next year

Cant see that happening, signed riders may not want to come here for a short season, and then may be offered better terms by another team next year

the basic idea might work, but no way will there be the same team for this year and next

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Why is it daft? Some clubs might run half-a-dozen meetings late on this year while Kent might not but then run ALL their fixtures (20/21) in 2021. 

That just makes it sound more daft.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

You are presuming that all the riders signed this year will ride this year, and then will want to ride for the same teams next year

Cant see that happening, signed riders may not want to come here for a short season, and then may be offered better terms by another team next year

the basic idea might work, but no way will there be the same team for this year and next

I think that's the whole point!

Means Clubs who may have paid signing on fees like Sheffield don't have to pay for a few matches in 2020 then again for 2021.

All riders are going to have to be a lot more realistic with demands, it's already started in Poland!

In Championship also have to consider that Edinburgh and Glasgow might not be able to ride at all in 2020 if Nicola continues to show great leadership and common sense and is more circumspect in coming out of lockdown.

1 hour ago, Grand Central said:

That just makes it sound more daft.

No it doesn't.  Speedway needs to work this one through and not stick with the old, tired ways.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, HGould said:

Seems look a good idea to me.

Soccer does it; Rugby does it; other Sports do it.

Better to have same teams for 2 years (1 season) than possibly see a team ride 5-6 times and then split up

Gives riders sure contract for 2021 and guaranteed rides.

Rare to see something so sensible 

How do soccer and rugby do it?  Are you saying they start the season in August, stop in October, resume in April and finish the following October?  

Because, they don’t.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Richard Weston said:

No it doesn't.  Speedway needs to work this one through and not stick with the old, tired ways.

It’s quite refreshing that somebody is thinking outside the box for a change. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

That would be completely mad!!

• Like 1

Rider availability is only part of the problrm, if spectators are not allowed then no team could afford to run. If crowds are not allowed until August/September at the earliest and I think even that's being optimistic then this season is a dead duck.

29 minutes ago, erniew said:

Rider availability is only part of the problrm, if spectators are not allowed then no team could afford to run. If crowds are not allowed until August/September at the earliest and I think even that's being optimistic then this season is a dead duck.

I think everyone realises that spectators are necessary!

15 hours ago, The Third Man said:

but that is the same as during a season every year, isn't it?

Edited by IronScorpion

Am I understanding correctly that the UK Govt. yesterday refused to lift the 14 day quarantine rule for so-called incoming 'elite sportsmen'?  If so, unless its lifted later on in say July, then that will have the biggest effect on any on-track action in 2020 - especially for Premiership teams.

Not a fan of the idea of a two year season.

What happens if the division has a couple of clubs close during the winter ( very possible under the current situation )  or do a ' Poole ' and drop down ?

sorry, but it doesn't float my boat.

• Like 2