British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

League to run over two seasons

8 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

The dreadful attendances for individual meetings below SGP level in Britain, plus their virtual disappearance from most tracks' fixture lists does rather suggest that they have lost their appeal; far more than team events. There will obviously be those who like individuals but I do sense that they are a very small if highly vocal minority. 

Regarding splitting the season over two years - do we really want to have two seasons fouled-up? One is bad enough.

Even if we only ended up with September and October the option is there to run a six home, six away Premiership and two regionally split Championships, five home and five away, with possibility of play-offs at both levels. That of course is if we can sort out team strengths to cope with rider absences. 

It is an awful situation but there is no point in throwing the baby out with the bathwater to fulfil a misguided attempt to, after 90 years turn speedway back into an individual sport. There are many things wrong with speedway but team racing is far from the problem. 

Let's just wait and see, and have various permutations ready so we can react to whichever date we are given, if at all, to resume. Just giving up and standing in a corner sneering at those determined that we can hgave some speedway this year in a futile attempt to look and sound clever is no help to the sport, and THAT is realism. 

weekly speedway will be way beyond the pocket for a significant number of fans in 2020 and possibly longer.

better to not run in 2020 if Clubs are going to lose a fortune and wait for 2021 when they may see bigger crowds because people feel a lot safer

• Confused 1

44 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Why would you run individual meetings every two weeks rather than team matches every week?

Team matches are far more important to me than individual meetings.

May be one day it will permeate..

COST. Many people by August will have had 5-6 months of reduced, little or no pay, Speedway every week just won't be affordable.

Clubs who run with lower crowds will lose money. Best to wait until everyone feels a lot safer and also everyone back in employment.

14 minutes ago, mikebv said:

1. You would be very lucky to run team speedway every week to anything like a consistent fixture list, at least with any semblance of credibility, given how many riders may not be available at any given night due to the many who DU, and also how many will need to ride in their own leagues abroad as a priority..

But there would be no such problem if we ran one league with riders based in this country.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HGould said:

COST. Many people by August will have had 5-6 months of reduced, little or no pay, Speedway every week just won't be affordable.

Clubs who run with lower crowds will lose money. Best to wait until everyone feels a lot safer and also everyone back in employment.

“Permeate”?

You might be right, but it looks like the BSPA thinks otherwise with today’s update.

This may be a total long shot with contracts and possibly insurance but has anyone considered running the league into the winter? After all winters in the UK we all know are getting milder and milder. In particular meetings could be run in the day, not ideal I know but surely an option worth some consideration.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TB1 said:

This may be a total long shot with contracts and possibly insurance but has anyone considered running the league into the winter? After all winters in the UK we all know are getting milder and milder. In particular meetings could be run in the day, not ideal I know but surely an option worth some consideration.

Milder maybe, but the last one was one of the wettest on record.

21 hours ago, HGould said:

Its possible once we get the go ahead that a cap on the number allowed in the stadiums would be put in place. Those that can afford it will be able to go and those who feel they cant afford it wont. Therefore the cap will be maintained.

I tnink that a booking system will also be in force to allow the number to be maintained.

42 minutes ago, Skodaman said:

Its possible once we get the go ahead that a cap on the number allowed in the stadiums would be put in place. Those that can afford it will be able to go and those who feel they cant afford it wont. Therefore the cap will be maintained.

I tnink that a booking system will also be in force to allow the number to be maintained.

Not forgetting that those who have already paid - sponsors, advertisers and season ticket holders - will rightly get priority to attend.

14 hours ago, TB1 said:

I mentioned on here a while ago that a Winter League was being discussed on the BSPL agenda. Not sure if it was being seriously considered, but the idea didn't get much support on here?

17 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I mentioned on here a while ago that a Winter League was being discussed on the BSPL agenda. Not sure if it was being seriously considered, but the idea didn't get much support on here?

Guessing the winter league was shelved- that's why extending the leagues over 20 and 21 has come to light. In all respects, it would be treated as one season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skodaman said:

An arbitrary attendance cap of 500 might affect speedway, but I doubt that one based on two metre distancing would have any effect as most stadiums should be able to accommodate 2,000 well-spaced people.

Just now, DC2 said:

An arbitrary attendance cap of 500 might affect speedway, but I doubt that one based on two metre distancing would have any effect as most stadiums should be able to accommodate 2,000 well-spaced people.

500 might be OK for NDL but the other two leagues would need more like 1,000

Danish theatres have opened with 500 cap, so I reckon we will see some speedway this year. Clubs that want to run will need to have an online ticketing service, don't want people being turned away at the gate.

9 minutes ago, eric i said:

Danish theatres have opened with 500 cap, so I reckon we will see some speedway this year. Clubs that want to run will need to have an online ticketing service, don't want people being turned away at the gate.

That relies on the public getting over their 'fear' and protesting every relaxation.

Danes are also back at school, but there is a large resistance in the UK towards it.

Well the World Health Organisation are now suggesting that a social distance of only one metre may prove to be acceptable as the number of deaths diminishes.