British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

League to run over two seasons

The idea of having a league 'season' covering 2020 and 2021 seems to make a lot of sense, at least to me.

King's Lynn co-promoter Dale Allit is the first I have seen to suggest the idea but it may have been floated elsewhere.

He is talking about six home and six away this year and then another 12 home and away in 2021 to come up with the league table.

Strange times call for some creative thinking.

Obviously, you couldn't allow teams to make wholesale changes in the winter.

Dale is talking about the Premiership but it would work for the Championship too.

Here is the report on the King's Lynn Speedway website

http://www.kingslynn-speedway.com/news.php?extend.30976

Not allowing any team changes during the winter would depend greatly on what other European leagues do and what rules/contracts/restrictions they are using?

yeah just do what we can this season, if anything, and start afresh next year. If we can start July/ Aug there'll be time for a mini league in the CL, perhaps regionalised.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MattK said:

I don't see what is gained from splitting the season over two years with a long gap during the winter.

Why not simply run a short 2020 season, even if it means riding each team only once at home and once away? Then start afresh with a full season in 2021.

As said, there are too many variables over a winter break. What if a rider retires or decides to give Britain a miss? Similar, I assume that if travel restrictions are in place for the remainder of 2020 then the likes of Doyle, Batchelor, Lambert, Fricke etc. won't be eligible to ride in 2021 either?

It seems to cause more problems that it solves.

Yep. The proposal seems to suggest they want to run six home and six away this year. Highly unlikely to be possible imo. But if that is the case then that is enough meetings to count it as a season, no play offs. It doesn’t need to be stretched into a three home, three away over eighteen months affair. 

Maybe the refunding of season ticket money is behind the Kings Lynn thinking, personally i cant see any merit in running the season over 2 years, just a short 2020 season would create far less problems..

• Like 2

I can see some value in the idea on the basis that I personally wouldn’t consider twelve fixtures each enough to determine a league champion but I accept these are exceptional circumstances.

I guess if travel, quarantine and foreign league restrictions aren’t lifted before a re-start is allowed we’ll be left only with a finite number of British riders to make anything of the season.

Some clubs might be willing to run and others not.

We might be left with a completely unique, one season league of just 10 clubs and a team building average of CL 32!

We’d need 70 riders and we have about 85 British riders, including NL ones.

Three of Swindon’s top five might be Ellis, Perks and Rowe, and if we could get Jordan Stewart over and have say Kinsley, Luke Harris and Stoneman, I’d be happy to watch that type of team.

Edited by DC2

19 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I can see some value in the idea on the basis that I personally wouldn’t consider twelve fixtures each enough to determine a league champion but I accept these are exceptional circumstances.

I’d say it’s less flawed than the current system where 24 meetings are raced and then over half the league qualify for the play offs personally. 

• Like 1

Not for it personally, 

Speedway is doing well at the moment to remain relevant to a limited audience with decent social media content, that will wear thin soon though, having to then revert back to that so soon would disengage a few. 

The release of team news is generally what keeps most engaged with the sport during the winter. 

Edited by Hacksaw Jim Duggan

3 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

The idea of having a league 'season' covering 2020 and 2021 seems to make a lot of sense, at least to me.

King's Lynn co-promoter Dale Allit is the first I have seen to suggest the idea but it may have been floated elsewhere.

He is talking about six home and six away this year and then another 12 home and away in 2021 to come up with the league table.

Strange times call for some creative thinking.

Obviously, you couldn't allow teams to make wholesale changes in the winter.

Dale is talking about the Premiership but it would work for the Championship too.

Here is the report on the King's Lynn Speedway website

http://www.kingslynn-speedway.com/news.php?extend.30976

Seems look a good idea to me.

Soccer does it; Rugby does it; other Sports do it.

Better to have same teams for 2 years (1 season) than possibly see a team ride 5-6 times and then split up

Gives riders sure contract for 2021 and guaranteed rides.

Rare to see something so sensible 

I would think the most we are likely to get this year is the Supporters Cup and a few Challenges.

I don't see the point of splitting the season, and clubs are without key riders this year so it would be unfair on those sides.

Just make the most of what we have this year and start again next year with the same 1-7s as much as possible.

• Like 3

Just now, HGould said:

Better to have same teams for 2 years (1 season) than possibly see a team ride 5-6 times and then split up

If we can, by any means, get some sort of league going this year then just have it at that. If it is possible then we need to at least see a winner this year, in my opinion.

2 hours ago, HGould said:

That's because their season starts at the end of the year and finishes the fo[[owing year, they don't have a six month break in between.

• Like 2