British Speedway Forum
gustix

Speedway magazines over the years

42 minutes ago, gustix said:

Very interesting. In that case how reliable are previous comments in this thread that Cyril Hart was then editor of 'Speedway World'? Something needs clarification IMO.

John Wick was editor of Speedway World in 1955, continuing through to June 1960.  In the 7th July 1960 edition Peter Arnold published an important announcement. Fairfax Publications had decided to terminate the Speedway World publication with immediate effect.  A group of people had got together on hearing this to ensure that the paper could continue, with Mike Parker, Cyril J. Hart, Howard Jacobi, Bert Hearse, Ted Flanaghan, Peter Morrish, Frank MacLean, Ken Sharples, Dennis Michael, Aub Lawson and John Wick being named.

Speedway World was subsequently published by 'New World' Publishing House and the new editor was Cyril J. Hart, continuing into 1961.  The publisher later became The Speedway World Publishing Company Ltd. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, norbold said:

I bought Speedway World every week in 1960 and Cyril J Hart is stated as the editor in every issue. I hope that's reliable enough for you.

My further thoughts re Cyril J Hart is that in the 1940s he joined Speedway World. Then in the interim years moved on to Speedway News. When that magazine closed he had an involvement with Speedway Gazette, then returned to Speedway World?

Edited by gustix

3 minutes ago, BL65 said:

John Wick was editor of Speedway World in 1955, continuing through to June 1960.  In the 7th July 1960 edition Peter Arnold published an important announcement. Fairfax Publications had decided to terminate the Speedway World publication with immediate effect.  A group of people had got together on hearing this to ensure that the paper could continue, with Mike Parker, Cyril J. Hart, Howard Jacobi, Bert Hearse, Ted Flanaghan, Peter Morrish, Frank MacLean, Ken Sharples, Dennis Michael, Aub Lawson and John Wick being named.

Speedway World was subsequently published by 'New World' Publishing House and the new editor was Cyril J. Hart, continuing into 1961.  The publisher later became The Speedway World Publishing Company Ltd. 

Thanks this updates my preceding Post. I guess this matter has been satisfactorily clarified.