British Speedway Forum
gustix

Speedway magazines over the years

Posted (edited)

Since 1928 and speedway's start in Britain there have been many magazines dedicated to it. Here are a few of them - but not in chronological order. But it would be excellent if that definition in regard to years of publication could be made.

Here's some titles I recall:

Speedway News,

Speedway World,

Speedway Gazette,

Speedway Reporter,

The Broadsider (or just Broadsider??),

Speedway Echo,

Speedway Star,

Speedway Mail,

Monthly Speedway World,

Monthly Speedway Star,

Monthly Speedway Reporter.

Edited by gustix

Speedway Express.

• Like 1

A few more:
On the Track (1947-49)
Speedway Argus (1967-69)
Speedway Express (newspaper version, 1948)
Speedway Pictorial (magazine late 1940s, newspaper 1965)
Speedway Pix (1969)
Speedway Post (1950 and then 1964-70)
The Speedway (1947)
Track News Weekly Illustrated (1948-49)
Provincial Speedway Illustrated (1962)
Speedway Focus (1965)
Speedway Graphic (1963)
Speedway (late 1930s)
Speedway Mirror (1935)
Midland Speedway Observer (1949)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Speedway Express.

To which I was a regular subscriber........... :t:

4 minutes ago, The White Knight said:

To which I was a regular subscriber........... :t:

Me too...or more precise my Dad! I would avidly read anything connected with the sport during those wonderful years!

Just now, steve roberts said:

Me too...or more precise my Dad! I would avidly read anything connected with the sport during those wonderful years!

It was a great magazine (Speedway Express) - I was very saddened by it's demise at the time.

My favourite magazines these days are Backtrack and Classic Speedway. They bring back so many memories of happier days (the '70's).

Speedway is a very different sport nowadays. :sad:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, The White Knight said:

It was a great magazine (Speedway Express) - I was very saddened by it's demise at the time.

My favourite magazines these days are Backtrack and Classic Speedway. They bring back so many memories of happier days (the '70's).

Speedway is a very different sport nowadays. :sad:

Same here...both very good reads!

• Like 1

Does any member have details in regard to the 'Speedway Gazette' from 1954 until its demise please. Who was its editor and its main contributors? I have an idea that it ceased publication in late 1956.

Edited by gustix

40 minutes ago, gustix said:

Does any member have details in regard to the 'Speedway Gazette' from 1954 until its demise please. Who was its editor and its main contributors? I have an idea that it ceased publication in late 1956.

In 1954 and 1955 the editor appears to have been Doug Falby, with regular contributions from Fred Sutton, 'Pegasus', John Watt, Allan Appleby and John Hyam.  There was at least one article by John Falby.  In 1955 there were also articles provided by Les Clayton and Cyril J. Hart.

4 minutes ago, BL65 said:

In 1954 and 1955 the editor appears to have been Doug Falby, with regular contributions from Fred Sutton, 'Pegasus', John Watt, Allan Appleby and John Hyam.  There was at least one article by John Falby.  In 1955 there were also articles provided by Les Clayton and Cyril J. Hart.

Very interesting. In that case how reliable are previous comments in this thread that Cyril Hart was then editor of 'Speedway World'? Something needs clarification IMO.

I expect many names were Eric Linden-style pseudonyms. 

Here's another title that I remember from the early seventies -Speedway Stop Press. It had editions for each London area track and contained up to date match reports of the week's matches. It was a basic typewritten affair but very valuable for up to date scores. 

4 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

I expect many names were Eric Linden-style pseudonyms. 

Here's another title that I remember from the early seventies -Speedway Stop Press. It had editions for each London area track and contained up to date match reports of the week's matches. It was a basic typewritten affair but very valuable for up to date scores. 

I once met the editor/publisher of Speedway Stop Press when he visited the office of Speedway Star which was then in Walthamstow. I unfortunately forget his name but he was a nice person and I think a keen follower of Hackney.

53 minutes ago, gustix said:

Very interesting. In that case how reliable are previous comments in this thread that Cyril Hart was then editor of 'Speedway World'? Something needs clarification IMO.

I bought Speedway World every week in 1960 and Cyril J Hart is stated as the editor in every issue. I hope that's reliable enough for you.

Edited by norbold
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, gustix said:

I once met the editor/publisher of Speedway Stop Press when he visited the office of Speedway Star which was then in Walthamstow. I unfortunately forget his name but he was a nice person and I think a keen follower of Hackney.

Don Allen   https://www.facebook.com/retro.speedway/photos/who-remembers-the-speedway-stop-press-which-published-between-1969-and-72-it-was/1939204752844699/

• Like 1