British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

Two Legends World Final records. Fundin v Briggs.

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

There the two  that i missed out on to Steve and Knutsson often gets forgotten a real class act. Craven often gets forgotten as well and he is still my no 1 English rider mainly because of the era he rode in very strong one he also died when approaching his peak.

Had his rosette on my bedroom wall from 1963 final. Was sad news when my Dad woke me that night to say he had been killed. We followed Bjorn at West Am.Didnt like Ove or Bazza as they were his main rivals.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Some goods name there Sid! I remember Cliff Andersen (RIP) doing some second halves at Cowley and, of course, at Swindon before ending up at Milton Keynes in 1978. Ole Olsen's mechanic for a while also.

Whatever happened to Garry Flood?

A real shame Flood was also  a top class motocross rider  apparently the dogs B.......,  with engines as well.

Edited by Sidney the robin

I remember The Duke saying he was called up for England v New Zealand in 1970 at Swindon, had a chance to ride in one race but didnt want to risk damaging his mate's bike, Sean Murtough i think, so was non-starter. Was at the meeting, England 70 Kiwis 37. Ashby, Kilby, the Boocock Bros, Wilson, against Briggo, max, and Mauger. Kilbs beat Mauger in last heat. Betts, Haley, Hedge featured. Was a 4-0 whitewash for England, although the Kiwis had won the series 2-1 the previous year,  Moore was riding, Gifford, Andrews, Timmo, Cribb, and they beat England at Swindon.

Edited by auntie doris

52 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

I remember The Duke saying he was called up for England v New Zealand in 1970 at Swindon, had a chance to ride in one race but didnt want to risk damaging his mate's bike, Sean Murtough i think, so was non-scorer. Was at the meeting, England 70 Kiwis 37. Ashby, Kilby, the Boocock Bros, Wilson, against Briggo, max, and Mauger. Kilbs beat Mauger in last heat. Betts, Haley, Hedge featured. Was a whitewash for England, although the Kiwis had won the series 2-1 the previous year,  Moore was riding, Gifford, Andrew, and they beat England at Swindon.

One of my favourire "Kiwis" was Rick Timmo for obvious reasons!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

One of my favourire "Kiwis" was Rick Timmo for obvious reasons!

"Spencer`s " still selling cars in Sandford -on -Thames, Farmoor and Oxford.  :)

21 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

"Spencer`s " still selling cars in Sandford -on -Thames, Farmoor and Oxford.  :)

Yes I called in on him a few years back as I was passing thru' Sandford. Hadn't realised that he had branched out however? Rick married the daughter of Oxford's Starting Marshall Tom Prickett if I remember.

6 hours ago, auntie doris said:

I remember The Duke saying he was called up for England v New Zealand in 1970 at Swindon, had a chance to ride in one race but didnt want to risk damaging his mate's bike, Sean Murtough i think, so was non-scorer. Was at the meeting, England 70 Kiwis 37. Ashby, Kilby, the Boocock Bros, Wilson, against Briggo, max, and Mauger. Kilbs beat Mauger in last heat. Betts, Haley, Hedge featured. Was a 4-0 whitewash for England, although the Kiwis had won the series 2-1 the previous year,  Moore was riding, Gifford, Andrews, Timmo, Cribb, and they beat England at Swindon.

Briggs got a 18 max Ivan hit and miss  got 10 that was it  England Kilb  16, Wilson/ Betts 13 each E.Boocock 9 plus 5 bonus points.

7 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Whatever happened to Garry Flood?

In the Christmas issue of Speedway Star there was a lengthy "Where Are They Now?" feature on the 1972 Crewe Kings. 8 pages with detailed updates on the likes of John Jackson, Dave Morton, Dai Evans and Phil Crump. Only a small update on Gary Flood, says he went back to motocross Down Under and won numerous championships and awards as well as being inducted into the Australian Motor Sport Hall of Fame. Also says he's an introvert who shuns the limelight. In the Phil Crump piece he says he keeps in regular touch with Garry and talks about his expertise with motors.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, salty said:

In the Christmas issue of Speedway Star there was a lengthy "Where Are They Now?" feature on the 1972 Crewe Kings. 8 pages with detailed updates on the likes of John Jackson, Dave Morton, Dai Evans and Phil Crump. Only a small update on Gary Flood, says he went back to motocross Down Under and won numerous championships and awards as well as being inducted into the Australian Motor Sport Hall of Fame. Also says he's an introvert who shuns the limelight. In the Phil Crump piece he says he keeps in regular touch with Garry and talks about his expertise with motors.

Thanks for this...much appreciated!