Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

Two Legends World Final records. Fundin v Briggs.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I just found a brilliant article and stats from the immortal Brian Seery on the Fundin v Briggs record in World Finals amazing stats.      OVE.      Final appearances 1954- 1969.       World Finals 15          rides 75.       1sts 44.          2nds 17.         3rds. 7.        Unplaced 7       Total Points 173.    Winner 5 times.      Runner up 3 times.  3rd.  3 times                                                            BARRY.        Final appearances 1954- 72 ( missed out 1971)      World Finals 18            rides.87          1sts.47.     2nds 22.       3rds 16.        unplaced 2 ( including 1 fall in 1972.).      Total points 201     Winner 4 times.         Runner up 3 times       3rd.  3 times                                 A great article by Brian both these two riders have to be in the TOP 8 GREATEST riders of alltime with Ove edging it have to be proud of Barry's record as well though only unplaced twice including a fall.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Great records indeed. I saw a fair bit of Briggo (once when he lost his temper at Cowley in 1972) but Fundin I only saw in demonstration races at Coventry during "The Golden Greats" meeting in 1988 but he could still throw the bike about!

Edited by steve roberts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Great records indeed. I saw a fair bit of Briggo (once when he lost his temper at Cowley in 1972) but Fundin I only saw in demonstration races at Coventry during "The Golden Greats" meeting in 1988 but he could still throw the bike about!

Only saw Ove once  1970' Swindon v Wembley  Briggo beat him twice so a massive regret of mine was not seeing Ove at his peak.Also not seeing Craven/ Knutsson was a downer as well but generally been lucky i do think in 1970 Barry came back stronger. He beat Mauger home and away and that took some doing how did you think Briggs went at Cowley Steve.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Only saw Ove once  1970' Swindon v Wembley  Briggo beat him twice so a massive regret of mine was not seeing Ove at his peak.Also not seeing Craven/ Knutsson was a downer as well but generally been lucky i do think in 1970 Barry came back stronger. He beat Mauger home and away and that took some doing how did you think Briggs went at Cowley Steve.?

Remember he took umbrage over a tapes infringement during the Midland Cup tie and the Swindon pair refused to come to the tapes thereby gifting the tie to Oxford. However Swindon won an appeal but Oxford counter-appealed but the season was coming to a close and there wasn't an opportunity for Oxford to complete the fixture against Leicester in the next round I recall. Garry Middleton often had the beating of Briggo but Martin Ashby proved a thorn and more often than not had the beating of "Cassius".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Remember he took umbrage over a tapes infringement during the Midland Cup tie and the Swindon pair refused to come to the tapes thereby gifting the tie to Oxford. However Swindon won an appeal but Oxford counter-appealed but the season was coming to a close and there wasn't an opportunity for Oxford to complete the fixture against Leicester in the next round I recall. Garry Middleton often had the beating of Briggo but Martin Ashby proved a thorn and more often than not had the beating of "Cassius".

 I do think from 1972, Briggo  was not the force of old he was still good and to average well over nine was some feat.The one thing with Briggs  was was he a good gater or not? i could not quite make my mind up to be honest.My uncle who first took me said oh not to worry Briggs will pick them off after a few laps for me his gating seemed pretty good.His son  Tony who was talented again his gating was terrible sure that contributed to him having to override at times.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

I just found a brilliant article and stats from the immortal Brian Seery on the Fundin v Briggs record in World Finals amazing stats.      OVE.      Final appearances 1954- 1969.       World Finals 15          rides 75.       1sts 44.          2nds 17.         3rds. 7.        Unplaced 7       Total Points 173.    Winner 5 times.      Runner up 3 times.  3rd.  3 times                                                            BARRY.        Final appearances 1954- 72 ( missed out 1971)      World Finals 18            rides.87          1sts.47.     2nds 22.       3rds 16.        unplaced 2 ( including 1 fall in 1972.).      Total points 201     Winner 4 times.         Runner up 3 times       3rd.  3 times                                 A great article by Brian both these two riders have to be in the TOP 8 GREATEST riders of alltime with Ove edging it have to be proud of Barry's record as well though only unplaced twice including a fall.

Hi sid

The only thing I would argue within your post is the fact that 'Briggo' did NOT fall in 1972. He was T-Boned by Bernt Persson in what I thought to be a very questionable move.

I was at that Final at Wembley and I may be wrong but it would take a lot to convince me otherwise.

Both great Riders, but I reckon that 'Briggo' would have gone on to win the title in 1972, remember - he had already beaten Mauger the eventual winner, had he been able to continue to ride in the Meeting.

Of course, none of this can be proved and is mere conjecture - but in all the years since 1972 I have believed 'Briggo' was robbed of a fifth World Title.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The White Knight said:

Hi sid

The only thing I would argue within your post is the fact that 'Briggo' did NOT fall in 1972. He was T-Boned by Bernt Persson in what I thought to be a very questionable move.

I was at that Final at Wembley and I may be wrong but it would take a lot to convince me otherwise.

Both great Riders, but I reckon that 'Briggo' would have gone on to win the title in 1972, remember - he had already beaten Mauger the eventual winner, had he been able to continue to ride in the Meeting.

Of course, none of this can be proved and is mere conjecture - but in all the years since 1972 I have believed 'Briggo' was robbed of a fifth World Title.

I remember watching the highlights later that evening on ITV (main stream TV...imagine that now?) and thought that the meeting had everything and couldn't have been more dramatic in its content and conclusion. Strange that Briggo's ride against Ivan was not featured however?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, The White Knight said:

Hi sid

The only thing I would argue within your post is the fact that 'Briggo' did NOT fall in 1972. He was T-Boned by Bernt Persson in what I thought to be a very questionable move.

I was at that Final at Wembley and I may be wrong but it would take a lot to convince me otherwise.

Both great Riders, but I reckon that 'Briggo' would have gone on to win the title in 1972, remember - he had already beaten Mauger the eventual winner, had he been able to continue to ride in the Meeting.

Of course, none of this can be proved and is mere conjecture - but in all the years since 1972 I have believed 'Briggo' was robbed of a fifth World Title.

Hope you are well WK, yes my take on things were that Barry would of scored 14 points and maybe Ole would of beaten him.Persson was a rider I liked so never hated him Briggoe's biggest mistake was leaving that hole on the inside Persson was way over zealous though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, The White Knight said:

Hi sid

The only thing I would argue within your post is the fact that 'Briggo' did NOT fall in 1972. He was T-Boned by Bernt Persson in what I thought to be a very questionable move.

I was at that Final at Wembley and I may be wrong but it would take a lot to convince me otherwise.

Both great Riders, but I reckon that 'Briggo' would have gone on to win the title in 1972, remember - he had already beaten Mauger the eventual winner, had he been able to continue to ride in the Meeting.

Of course, none of this can be proved and is mere conjecture - but in all the years since 1972 I have believed 'Briggo' was robbed of a fifth World Title.

I was there too and can't disagree with anything you have stated.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Hope you are well WK, yes my take on things were that Barry would of scored 14 points and maybe Ole would of beaten him.Persson was a rider I liked so never hated him Briggoe's biggest mistake was leaving that hole on the inside Persson was way over zealous though.

I'm afraid I have never forgiven Persson for that. As I said earlier, I may be wrong about his move but I don't believe I am.

Sorry to disagree with you on this sid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Hope you are well WK, yes my take on things were that Barry would of scored 14 points and maybe Ole would of beaten him.Persson was a rider I liked so never hated him Briggoe's biggest mistake was leaving that hole on the inside Persson was way over zealous though.

Briggo admitted that he had left a gap and strayed from the white line but Persson's move was ruthless but speedway is littered with such incidents...Nielsen and Penhall for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, The White Knight said:

I'm afraid I have never forgiven Persson for that. As I said earlier, I may be wrong about his move but I don't believe I am.

Sorry to disagree with you on this sid.

No don't disagree WK , this night has wrangled me for years he should of won a fifth world title.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bernie has always been my favourite rider however he should have gone for that move, I've watched it time and time again and altho there might have been a small gap it was out of order. Briggo could well have gone on then to be world champ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Only saw Ove once  1970' Swindon v Wembley  Briggo beat him twice so a massive regret of mine was not seeing Ove at his peak.Also not seeing Craven/ Knutsson was a downer as well but generally been lucky i do think in 1970 Barry came back stronger. He beat Mauger home and away and that took some doing how did you think Briggs went at Cowley Steve.?

Was chatting to Barry Duke last year in Mns cafe in north Swindon, he said he couldn't believe that his two heroes Barry and Ove were in same heat as him as Dukey came third for Robins 4-2.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, auntie doris said:

Was chatting to Barry Duke last year in Mns cafe in north Swindon, he said he couldn't believe that his two heroes Barry and Ove were in same heat as him as Dukey came third for Robins 4-2.

Yes that was at Wembley Doris heat 11 , Dukey  did well paid 8 from the ultra tough number 2 position Briggs scored 14. In the home match Dukey rode at number 6 so didn't meet Ove, Briggs got a max Pete Monday ( RIP)beat Ove in heat three as well. Wembley included Fundin, Eide, Wayne Briggs, Harkins have you read the Kilb book Doris ?? a great read still pick it up now and then and read again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy