British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Issue 49 - Newcastle Moments, Pawel Waloszek, Pride of the East, World Cup launch, Kiwi Tigers

2020 SUMMER EDITION

Welcome to issue 49 of our quarterly magazine . . . 

PAWEL WALOSZEK: Unlucky Nearly Man

ROMAN CHYLA examines the illustrious career of former Polish star Pawel Waloszek and the 1970 World Final runner-up's elusive quest for gold. And especially for Leicester fans, GRAHAM BRODIE reviews Waloszek's one and only British league season with the Hunters in 1961, with the Pole's full meeting scores.

MIND THE GAP

With Coronavirus decimating the 2020 season, DOUG NICOLSON looks at other times when racing was curtailed. From petrol rationing and bus strikes to smallpox scares, Covid-19 is by no means the first to stop the bikes in their tracks.

CHANGING WORLD – launch of the World Team Cup

Almost 60 years on from the launch of the World Team Cup, PHIL CHARD reflects on Sweden's home track victory at Gothenburg and the men who shaped history. Top names featured include Ove Fundin, Olle Nygren, Rune Sormander and Gote Nordin plus, from runners-up Great Britain, Peter Craven, Ron How, Ken McKinlaty, George White and Nigel Boocock.

NEWCASTLE: 50 Memorable Moments
ROB PEASLEY looks back at Diamonds' highs and lows at the Tyneside club where legends Ivan Mauger and Ole Olsen first shone. Others to feature include George Pepper, Jeff Lloyd, Norman Evans, Wilf Jay, Derek Close, Mike Parker (promoter), Brian Craven, Brian Brett, Peter Kelly and Anders Michanek.

BIG NIGHTS: Pride of the East
British speedway's premier individual events, this time PHIL CHARD recalls pre-70s stagings of the Pride of the East. Launched in Norwich (1957-63) and continued at King's Lynn (1966-69), past winners of this annual Norfolk classic include World Champions Ove Fundin, Peter Craven and Bjorn Knutson, plus Colin Pratt, Bengt Larsson, Terry Betts and Howard Cole.

SECOND CHANCE

Name-checking all non-regular team members and others who never made the grade but rode in second-halves, junior matches and trials at four top flight tracks in the first five years of the British League, from 1965 until the end of '69 inclusive. This time Tony Mac revisits Belle Vue, Cradley Heath, Glasgow and Hackney. See how many of them you remember having a skid at the end of the swinging 60s.

YOUNG COLONIAL BOYS

DOUG NICOLSON remembers a couple of Kiwis, Bruce Ovenden and Joe Hicks, who travelled to Scotland in the winter of 1963-64 in search of fame and fortune with Glasgow Tigers.

YESTERDAY'S NEWS & VIEWS

Delving into Retro Speedway's library to find what various publications were writing about. This time we reveal the time editor Basil Storey was at loggerheads with London promoters, how burglars cracked open the Old Meadowbank safe, Bradford's battle to stay afloat, the return of racing to New Cross in 1959, why National League chiefs were branded "selfish" for excluding Ipswich from the Test match schedule, and the emergence of Bengt Jansson as the biggest threat to the Fundin-Briggs dominance of the World Championship.

Plus . . . Len Read and Eric Linden obits, your letters, crossword and a 1963 Wimbledon team photo.

Remember, we no longer sell individual copies, so please subscribe at www.retro-speedway.com

CS 49 _home page.jpg

Looking forward in receiving my copy. Together with "Backtrack" the best reads regarding speedway in my opinion.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 8:50 AM, steve roberts said:

Looking forward in receiving my copy. Together with "Backtrack" the best reads regarding speedway in my opinion.

Damn...I'd forgotten to update my subscription! Put it right today and looking forward in receiveing back dated editions.

• Like 1