British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

British Based Riders Who Travelled The Furthest Distance For Home Meetings

I would imagine that the clear winner would be Chris Julian - Cornwall to Glasgow. However other worthy entries would include:-

Mike Sampson & Bob Coles - Devon to Barrow

Michael Coles - Devon to Edinburgh

Bert Harkins - Herts to Edinburgh

Robert Hollingworth - Lincs to Edinburgh

Graham Jones - Suffolk to Berwick

George Hunter - Midlands to Edinburgh

Edited by steve roberts

Was Brian Collins still living in Scotland when he was at Wembley and/or Poole?

I think Andy Campbell was still in Surrey when he rode for Berwick.

• Like 1

Other long distance travellers:
Maury Mattingley - Hampshire to Glasgow
Brian Brett - Hertfordshire to Newcastle
Maury McDermott - London to St Austell
Pat Flanagan - London to Newcastle (beating his London to Exeter journey by some distance)

• Like 1

What about the Luckhurst brothers when they rode for Edinburgh ? Were they based in Kent ?

In the early 1950s Bruce Semmens rode for Ashfield (Glasgow) for three seasons, but I don't know if he still resided in Cornwall at the time.  He was a qualified pilot and used to fly to some speedway and grass track meetings from wherever he was based.  

Richard Knight & Jimmy Nielsen must have both had long journeys getting to Berwick in 1991

14 minutes ago, prodons said:

Richard Knight & Jimmy Nielsen must have both had long journeys getting to Berwick in 1991

Kelvin Tatum was at Berwick too in 1991, was he based in southern England at the time?

Perhaps not the furthest to travel but just read in the latest "Backtrack" magazine that Steve McDermott and his great buddy Jack "The Villain" Millen would both catch the train from Crewe to Edinburgh and make the return trip on the sleeper after the meeting.

Edited by steve roberts

Chris Julian had two seasons I believe at Glasgow - resident in deepest Cornwall

• Like 1

Didn't some of the Wimbledon riders and possibly others also ride for Shelbourne in Dublin ?

Just read in the latest edition of "Classic Speedway" that Len Read would take in a 700 mile round trip from Norwich to Plymouth for home meetings taking him 9 hours to get there! He did this for four years before transferring to Liverpool where he 'only' did a 500 mile round trip!

On 6/4/2020 at 10:20 AM, iris123 said:

Didn't some of the Wimbledon riders and possibly others also ride for Shelbourne in Dublin ?

I think  Ronnie Moore did.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 9:20 AM, Midland Red said:

Chris Julian had two seasons I believe at Glasgow - resident in deepest Cornwall

ALLEGEDLY he broke the journey, in both directions, sleeping overnight in his car at the Cradley Heath stadium ...

• Like 1