British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

One Club Servants

There was a time when riders remained with one club and served their whole careers riding for same.

Some that instantly come to mind are Peter Collins, Erik Gundersen, Tommy Knudsen, Tony Davey, Rick Timmo, Mike Keen...plus many others.

Edited by steve roberts

Think we have done this one before Steve. Internationally from memory was it Swist in Poland ? Matten Kröger was over 25 years i think with Brokstedt 

• Like 1

Peter Collins didn't.

12 minutes ago, frigbo said:

Peter Collins didn't.

Neither did Mike Keen...

In fact, when we did this before, the majority of riders who were claimed to be one-track riders weren't!

17 minutes ago, frigbo said:

Peter Collins didn't.

Yes I was forgetting that PC rode for Rochdale!

6 minutes ago, chunky said:

Neither did Mike Keen...

In fact, when we did this before, the majority of riders who were claimed to be one-track riders weren't!

...and Mike Keen for California (?) and/or St. Austell (had to check that one!) but, hey, my memory's not what it was...although I'm sure I'm correct with Tony Davey and definately Rick Timmo!

Edited by steve roberts

6 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...and Mike Keen for California (?) and/or St. Austell (had to check that one!) but, hey, my memory's not what it was...although I'm sure I'm correct with Tony Davey and definately Rick Timmo!

Davey and Timmo are fine, but I'm shocked that, in addition to the two teams you named, you didn't know that Mike Keen had an outing for Oxford at Southampton in 1963!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, iris123 said:

Internationally from memory was it Swist in Poland ?

first time Piotr Swist came to the UK i looked after him for a couple of days, he couldn't speak English, i can't speak Polish, but he went to Australia having learnt how to play pool and drink beer :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rudy Muts, started his racing career in second halves at Wimbledon in 1976 and retired from British speedway in 1982. He only ever rode for Wimbledon although he did ride on the continental Europe and Australia. He was prevented from riding in the National League due to his nationality.

Two major issues may prevent  any rider solely riding for just one team. Firstly, if they start riding in a lower league they may improve and want test themselves against better riders, thus causing them to move teams. Secondly, the track they started racing for may sadly close down. These two points would have affected most iders during their careers. for example Peter Collins who started riding for Rochdale Hornets, not only did he move upto riding for Belle Vue but also Rochdale who were basically a disguised Belle Vue Colts team closed down.

Edited by Robbie B
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Robbie B said:

Rudy Muts, started his racing career in second halves at Wimbledon in 1976 and retired from British speedway in 1982. He only ever rode for Wimbledon although he did ride on the continental Europe and Australia. He was prevented from riding in the National League due to his nationality.

Two major issues may prevent  any rider solely riding for just one team. Firstly, if they start riding in a lower league they may improve and want test themselves against better riders, thus causing them to move teams. Secondly, the track they started racing for may sadly close down. These two points would have affected most iders during their careers. for example Peter Collins who started riding for Rochdale Hornets, not only did he move upto riding for Belle Vue but also Rochdale who were basically a disguised Belle Vue Colts team closed down.

Plus of course the old Rider Control system and later the points limit that forced riders to move on...often against their wish.

Ronnie Moore ride for Coventry in 1974 too.

These are harder to find than it first seems.

Edited by frigbo
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Split said:

Ronnie Moore and Cyril Brine. A formidable 1-2.

Ronnie supposedly rode a couple of meetings for Coventry, although I really don’t remember it

Pete Reading Teesside/ Middlesbrough except for 1 single meeting guesting for Swindon

58 minutes ago, Split said:

Ronnie Moore and Cyril Brine. A formidable 1-2.

Cyril Brine rode for Smallford Stags, based in St Albans, in 1938, making a number of appearances in the Sunday Dirt Track League (also known as the Inter Club League), as well as several challenge matches.