Les Sharpe - Halifax
Peter Williams - Belle Vue
Eric Salmon - Bristol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tracy Bird said:

Tony Lewis poole

geoff swindells weymouth

roger Stratton weymouth

There's two names that remind me of trips to Radipole Lane when holidaying in Weymouth!

8 minutes ago, Tracy Bird said:

Tony Lewis poole

geoff swindells weymouth

roger Stratton weymouth

Geoff also appeared for Poole in 1973, with Tony appearing for West Ham and Exeter in 1965, which was a year when there was a pool of riders made available to turn out short term to cover for injured riders.  He replaced Sverre Harrfeldt at home Cradley Heath, with some sources incorrectly recording this as a guest appearance, also replacing Des Lukehurst for Exeter at Wimbledon. Harrfeldt came back for West Ham and so Tony was no longer required; Exeter called upon Cliff Cox to return to the team instead of continuing with Lewis, who had failed to score in his one meeting for them.

Wot about Norman Storer- I know I know he rode for Long Eaton and then when they closed he went to Leicester (same club-different track)-but it does say club not track-does this count-also maybe Bob Jamieson of Halifax, perhaps Bert Kingston also??

11 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

Wot about Norman Storer- I know I know he rode for Long Eaton and then when they closed he went to Leicester (same club-different track)-but it does say club not track-does this count-also maybe Bob Jamieson of Halifax, perhaps Bert Kingston also??

Bert Kingston is okay, I think, but Bob Jameson rode for Long Eaton, and also spent two years with Middlesbrough.

24 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

The term 'one club servants' does not specify the length of time the rider was attached to the club.  Probably a year or two is too short a career to be worthy of inclusion, but where should the line be drawn?  If Bert Kingston's 3 years at Halifax qualify then so would Bert Rawlinson's 3 years at Yarmouth.

On the matter of whether Long Eaton 1967 and Leicester 1968 should be regarded as the same club, I acknowledge that the promotion moved from one location to the other and only two rider changes initially took place, with John Hart and George Major joining Leicester from Sheffield.  However, having had the pleasure of being amongst the massive re-opening night crowd at Blackbird Road on 9th April 1968 and having attended many meetings there it is my opinion, from what I observed, that the vast majority of support was Leicester based.  The question might be, what comprises the club, is it the management, the riders, the fan base, or all three?  If it counted as the same club, what about the switch from Stoke to Belle Vue II in 1939, Wigan to Fleetwood in 1948, Hull to Swindon in 1949, Neath to St Austell in 1963, Edinburgh to Coatbridge in 1968, West Ham to Barrow in 1973, which all involved changing the name of the team.  This differs to, for example, Glasgow Tigers moving track from White City to Hampden Park in 1969, when the team name was retained.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, chunky said:

Steve mentioned Erik in the original post...

Thing is, there are MANY riders who rode for only one British club, but only had one or two seasons in the UK. They do fit the criteria, but cannot be classed as "servants". Riders like Kafel, Szczepanik, Olkiewicz, Zabik, Grubmuller, Marzotto etc. Even Brad Oxley...

Didn’t Zabik ride for Peterborough and Poole?

15 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Didn’t Zabik ride for Peterborough and Poole?

Jan Zabik spent only the one year at Sheffield.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 10:21 PM, BL65 said:

A few more that, as far as I know, spent their careers with just one club:
Les Owen, Roger Hill and Johnny Reason - Coventry
Freddie Williams - Wembley
Eric Chitty, Bluey Wilkinson and Tiger Stevenson - West Ham
Bernie Leigh - Reading
Goog Hoskin - Exeter
Jimmy Cox - Edinburgh
Louis Lawson - Belle Vue
Phil Clarke - Norwich

Bernie Leigh spent a year at Swindon, although, of course, Reading didn't have a side that year.

George White - Swindon

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

George White - Swindon

George was with Swindon from 1954 to 1961, but rode for Yarmouth in 1953.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BL65 said:

George was with Swindon from 1954 to 1961, but rode for Yarmouth in 1953.

Damn! Caught out again...many thanks! It's very difficult finding riders who fell into that particular category? I'm obviously not looking at riders who did a couple of years (mainly overseas like Roman Jankowski for example) but who remained loyal to one particular club for, say, five years or more.

Yes, I was thinking Terry Mussett. Apparently his career is shrouded in mystery, but I see he did ride for a couple of teams other than Wimbledon

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Damn! Caught out again...many thanks! It's very difficult finding riders who fell into that particular category? I'm obviously not looking at riders who did a couple of years (mainly overseas like Roman Jankowski for example) but who remained loyal to one particular club for, say, five years or more.

Five years minimum would seem to be a good starting point...

• Like 1