British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

One Club Servants

4 hours ago, 25yearfan said:

Graham Jones (the first one by the way not the 1980's/90's Stoke and Wolves rider!) had his first League rides for Boston in the early 70's before going to ride long distance for Berwick for many years so wasn't completely a one club man!

5 meetings for Boston

Ian Cartwright 1974/82 at Halifax he started at Crewe ,        Cyril Maidment ( two spells ) 1951/1961 and 1969/71 Wimbledon he had spells at other clubs to.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Ian Cartwright 1974/82 at Halifax he started at Crewe ,        Cyril Maidment ( two spells ) 1951/1961 and 1969/71 Wimbledon he had spells at other clubs to.

Very nice unassuming person as well. Haven't seen him for a while but whenever I'm over at Kilburn I pop into the "Mouseman Visitor Centre" hoping to catch a chat with him.

Remember the story about Maido when he was Team Manager of the "Dons" and after a meeting when he met up with some fans on the way back home from a meeting they were criticising him for a missed T/C sub move and he dropped his trousers in response and they all had a good laugh!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Robert Henry 1976 /86 Mildenhall i see him ride a few times for Swindon in 1978 to aquitting  himself very well in a pretty tough BL.

Seem to recall Sid that his career was ended by a very serious injury?

7 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Seem to recall Sid that his career was ended by a very serious injury?

Yes it was quite serious Steve, but Robert did say he felt he was very fortunate to come out unscathed generally in his career.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

I recall Maido as one of the heatleaders for Belle Vue-nice bloke-though didn't he get Jim Tebby fired from the Dons.

On 7/5/2020 at 2:47 PM, Normski said:

Rob Grant 1978-1991 Berwick Michael Makovsky 2001 - 2010 Berwick

Norman, Granty rode for Edinburgh in 1984.

11 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

I recall Maido as one of the heatleaders for Belle Vue-nice bloke-though didn't he get Jim Tebby fired from the Dons.

I have never heard that  Jim Tebby story before BOBBATH!!!!  Jim once beat Ivan Mauger in heat 1 a 5.1 with Trevor Hedge at Plough Lane 1970 .Going back to Cyril he was an Ace from 1962/68 .

Edited by Sidney the robin

9 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Norman, Granty rode for Edinburgh in 1984.

rsz_grant_2.jpg

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Yes, we seem to have gone over to riders who almost rode for one team only, but not quite....... As for Tebby, well Maido was manager and dropped him pre-season. Maybe with short notice, and the idea was Jim would be no.8 and have to fight for his place, which he didn't think was right and I think went off to Newport. Personally feel it was a good decision.

3 hours ago, iris123 said:

Yes, we seem to have gone over to riders who almost rode for one team only, but not quite.......

I noticed that also... :blink:

3 hours ago, iris123 said:

As for Tebby, well Maido was manager and dropped him pre-season. Maybe with short notice, and the idea was Jim would be no.8 and have to fight for his place, which he didn't think was right and I think went off to Newport. Personally feel it was a good decision.

It wasn't so much that Maido didn't want him that upset Jim, but the way he did it (including the late notice).

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, chunky said:

It wasn't so much that Maido didn't want him that upset Jim, but the way he did it (including the late notice).

But as it was, he was at Newport for the start of their season, but I guess he was miffed at how it was done

11 minutes ago, iris123 said:

But as it was, he was at Newport for the start of their season, but I guess he was miffed at how it was done

Exactly...

14 hours ago, chunky said:

I noticed that also... :blink:

I  dont  know who replaced Jim Chunky, but i presume it was Luckhurst or Clarke.??