British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

One Club Servants

30 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I always remember that he was possibly one ride away from winning the 1972 World Final at Wembley when he scored 11 points from four rides but failed to score a point in one of his heats and eventually finishing equal fourth overal with fellow debutant John Louis.

I did see Christer's son Denis ride a few times quite a useful rider.In 1972 the final was a real eventful one Briggs beating Mauger then crashing out of the meeting in his second ride.Olsen taking a uncharacteristic fall ruining his chances Loftqvist was very entertaining that night would Briggo have won it? my heart says so.

5 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

I did see Christer's son Denis ride a few times quite a useful rider.In 1972 the final was a real eventful one Briggs beating Mauger then crashing out of the meeting in his second ride.Olsen taking a uncharacteristic fall ruining his chances Loftqvist was very entertaining that night would Briggo have won it? my heart says so.

Yes, Sid, the 1972 Final was full of drama and incident. I remember watching Dennis on numerous occasions...showed some promise, I thought, but drifted away from the British scene all too soon.

4 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Yes, Sid, the 1972 Final was full of drama and incident. I remember watching Dennis on numerous occasions...showed some promise, I thought, but drifted away from the British scene all too soon.

Always difficult for a son to follow in there dads footsteps Tony Briggs and Robert Craven come to mind.Chris Louis made a good job of it though a classy rider that period produced Screen, Havvy, Chris, Mark,.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sidney the robin said:

Always difficult for a son to follow in there dads footsteps Tony Briggs and Robert Craven come to mind.Chris Louis made a good job of it though a classy rider that period produced Screen, Havvy, Chris, Mark,.

Remember that Robert rode a number of times during Swindon second halves? Kym Mauger was another who struggled in Britain (apparently he had a trial at Oxford behind closed doors) but went on to win the NZ Longtrack title if I recall?

6 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Remember that Robert rode a number of times during Swindon second halves? Kym Mauger was another who struggled in Britain (apparently he had a trial at Oxford behind closed doors) but went on to win the NZ Longtrack title if I recall?

Yes see quite a bit of Robert he did show promise remember seeing him ride once with a then trialling Steve Regelling.Steve unfortunately broke a leg but he went on to have a terrific career.Swindon at one time always had triallists remember Robert Henry,John Williams,Louis Carr all have numerous spins at the Abbey.That competition really helped in the development of Malcolm Holloway who came through in the Kevin Young, Kevin Pope, Richard Evans era.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Yes see quite a bit of Robert he did show promise remember seeing him ride once with a then trialling Steve Regelling.Steve unfortunately broke a leg but he went on to have a terrific career.Swindon at one time always had triallists remember Robert Henry,John Williams,Louis Carr all have numerous spins at the Abbey.That competition really helped in the development of Malcolm Holloway who came through in the Kevin Young, Kevin Pope, Richard Evans era.

Swindon always had decent second halves (as did Oxford) in those days with an abundant of talent on show. Personally I used to enjoy the old second halves and thought it a good system bringing on riders and enabling them to 'mix it' with established team members.

All this talk of Christer Lofqvist reminds me that he is my ALL TIME favourite rider. Fabulous rider both on and off the track. He finished 4th in the World Final 1972 on Saturday, yet at Poole on the Wednesday, he was our reserve, v Belle Vue! Remember the old system of supplementary reserve, based on the riders last 6 matches?

Pete Smith has been mentioned before on this thread, but surely, 1962 to 1977 unbroken sequence for his one and only one club has to be right up there? Others may have been at their clubs longer,but not particularly their only club? Pete did a few guest bookings for non League Rye House Roosters, but it still remains a remarkable achievement, the likes of which we probably wont ever see again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Swindon always had decent second halves (as did Oxford) in those days with an abundant of talent on show. Personally I used to enjoy the old second halves and thought it a good system bringing on riders and enabling them to 'mix it' with established team members.

Yes the reserves scurry was a real way of pushing a rider on it did work and as you said Oxford/ Swindon did it very well.Swindon, produced Holloway, Rossiter,Smart,( 3) Chessell, ( 2) Broadbank, Hewlett ( bless him never forget that tragic night he was making great strides in his young career (etc).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BobC said:

All this talk of Christer Lofqvist reminds me that he is my ALL TIME favourite rider. Fabulous rider both on and off the track. He finished 4th in the World Final 1972 on Saturday, yet at Poole on the Wednesday, he was our reserve, v Belle Vue! Remember the old system of supplementary reserve, based on the riders last 6 matches?

Pete Smith has been mentioned before on this thread, but surely, 1962 to 1977 unbroken sequence for his one and only one club has to be right up there? Others may have been at their clubs longer,but not particularly their only club? Pete did a few guest bookings for non League Rye House Roosters, but it still remains a remarkable achievement, the likes of which we probably wont ever see again.

Bob yes Smithy is up there with Barry Thomas as one of the most entertaining riders i see over the years.I loved clubs who pushed continuity through that reasoning give me a chance to see the likes of Hitch, Duke, Keen, over a long period. None of them superstars but they are our bread and butter riders of our sport your great club had Smith, Lewis, Middlo senior and son ) as great role models.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BobC said:

20 th September 1972 Bob, unbelievable Christer rode at number seven that night against Belle Vue he scored paid 14, from seven outings.The first occasion that i went to Poole was in 1974 v the classy Exeter side never forget it an exciting evening.Loved the racing the atmosphere and what a week's holiday that was a beautiful part of the country two nights speedway thrown in as well Poole and got back for the Abbey on a Saturday.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BobC said:

I thought that Pete Smith was vastly underrated...always a class act around Cowley. Remember Briggo saying that at Poole there was always a bump going into the third bend and somehow Pete was able to ride thru'/over it without any problems. A well deserved testimonial in 1977 (?)

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I thought Malcolm made a mistake not going back to Oxford in 1978 Steve don't know what happened there.Ended up having a injury ravaged career at Milton Keynes for me Malcolm was never suited to NL speedway so full time BL speedway was his future.Remember Oxford having Caulwell, Ackroyd, Hack, Pip Oxford were great with young riders a good track to learn on always remember seeing the classy David Shields ( reminiscent of the original PC.) 

1 minute ago, Sidney the robin said:

I thought Malcolm made a mistake not going back to Oxford in 1978 Steve don't know what happened there.Ended up having a injury ravaged career at Milton Keynes for me Malcolm was never suited to NL speedway so full time BL speedway was his future.Remember Oxford having Caulwell, Ackroyd, Hack, Pip Oxford were great with young riders a good track to learn on always remember seeing the classy David Shields ( reminiscent of the original PC.) 

Yes I'm not sure why Malc never returned to Cowley in 1978? Perhaps with Milton Keynes coming on board it was felt that they needed some encouragement? We lost both Phil Bass and Harry MacLean to the "Knights" that year. Perhaps it was Oxford being 'taken over' by Cradley being a factor?

3 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I thought that Pete Smith was vastly underrated...always a class act around Cowley. Remember Briggo saying that at Poole there was always a bump going into the third bend and somehow Pete was able to ride thru'/over it without any problems. A well deserved testimonial in 1977 (?)

A unique style Smithy really upright as you said very underrated he showed that in the 1989 Briggo series still had it very competitive.Steve did Pete fall out at Poole once? stopped going hope they resolved there differences a great role model for the sport.

Just now, Sidney the robin said:

A unique style Smithy really upright as you said very underrated he showed that in the 1989 Briggo series still had it very competitive.Steve did Pete fall out at Poole once? stopped going hope they resolved there differences a great role model for the sport.

If I remember he suffered continual bike problems in 1977 (?) and 'retired' for a short while before returning?