British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

One Club Servants

1 minute ago, steve roberts said:

Yes I'm not sure why Malc never returned to Cowley in 1978? Perhaps with Milton Keynes coming on board it was felt that they needed some encouragement? We lost both Phil Bass and Harry MacLean to the "Knights" that year. Perhaps it was Oxford being 'taken over' by Cradley being a factor?

Yes never did ask him why , he loved Oxford on his day he could be decent at Cowley once beat Hans in heat 1 there in a three team tournament.

8 hours ago, chunky said:

I was there for his British debut at Custom House in 1970. He looked good then!

Me too. Don't remember seeing you there.

After that I saw him every week at West Ham. Heart stopping stuff week in week out! We used to think Sverre Harrfedt was hair raising, but he had nothing on Christer!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Yes never did ask him why , he loved Oxford on his day he could be decent at Cowley once beat Hans in heat 1 there in a three team tournament.

Great thread this Sid...beats all that pontificating on the Covid-19 thread!

1 minute ago, norbold said:

After that I saw him every week at West Ham. Heart stopping stuff week in week out! We used to think Sverre Harrfedt was hair raising, but he had nothing on Christer!

How good Norbold ?? for me he was an outstanding talent never see loads of him a real regret of mine still have his prized autograph.

24 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I thought that Pete Smith was vastly underrated...always a class act around Cowley. Remember Briggo saying that at Poole there was always a bump going into the third bend and somehow Pete was able to ride thru'/over it without any problems. A well deserved testimonial in 1977 (?)

That is very true. Pete was the only rider to ride very tight into bend 3 and not hit that bump.  One night, Briggo was leading, hit the bump and Pete went through to win. The following laps, Briggo followed Petes line, but still hit that bump!  Pete had his testimonial at Poole in 1976.

Still very highly regarded here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

How good Norbold ?? for me he was an outstanding talent never see loads of him a real regret of mine still have his prized autograph.

Over the two years he was at West Ham he improved and then improved even more the following two years at Poole. In 1970 he was second in the Hammers' averages to Olle Nygren with just under 8 points per match; in his second year he just pipped Olle for top place, averaging something like 8.75 I believe.

As I said above, there is no denying he was the ultimate thrill-merchant with his madcap dives round the fence. Unlike Sverre Harrfeldt though, who knew what he was doing and was on a par with the very best and often beat them at Custom House, Christer didn't always seem to be quite in control - just opening the throttle and going wherever the bike took him - and fell short of the very best. He was very popular though and was voted "Hammer of the Year" in each of his two years.

Edited by norbold
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, norbold said:

Over the two years he was at West Ham he improved and then improved even more the following two years at Poole. In 1970 he was second in the Hammers' averages to Olle Nygren with just under 8 points per match; in his second year he just pipped Olle for top place, averaging something like 8.75 I believe.

As I said above, there is no denying he was the ultimate thrill-merchant with his madcap dives round the fence. Unlike Sverre Harrfeldt though, who knew what he was doing and was on a par with the very best and often beat them at Custom House, Christer didn't always seem to be quite in control - just opening the throttle and going wherever the bike took him - and fell short of the very best. He was very popular though and was voted "Hammer of the Year" in each of his two years.

Was he a bit of a nutter Norbold ???  he was exciting no doubt put bums on seats.For me never got to think was he really  was genuine world class ???? not his fault of  course .I think myself personally he was very  very ,quick a slight fellow worth  the admission money alone think he scored 12 at Swindon in 72 for Poole got his autograph that day looked  a little weak guy great balance though.

7 hours ago, norbold said:

I was next to my dad! You must have seen him! Right where Sverre came off!

Unless your memory is going...

Next thing, you'll say you don't remember seeing me at the Lokeren Trophy either!

2 hours ago, chunky said:

I was next to my dad! You must have seen him! Right where Sverre came off!

Unless your memory is going...

Next thing, you'll say you don't remember seeing me at the Lokeren Trophy either!

Well, of course I remember you at the Lokeren Trophy meeting, it's just the match against Wimbledon I'm having a problem with recalling you - or your dad. I was too upset that your man Pete Murray was to blame for Sverre breaking his arm to think straight I suppose.

3 minutes ago, norbold said:

Well, of course I remember you at the Lokeren Trophy meeting, it's just the match against Wimbledon I'm having a problem with recalling you - or your dad. I was too upset that your man Pete Murray was to blame for Sverre breaking his arm to think straight I suppose.

Ah, okay...

You know, I originally put, "where Pete Murray took Sverre off", then changed it - just to appear nice, and non-accusatory.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, BobC said:

That is very true. Pete was the only rider to ride very tight into bend 3 and not hit that bump.  One night, Briggo was leading, hit the bump and Pete went through to win. The following laps, Briggo followed Petes line, but still hit that bump!  Pete had his testimonial at Poole in 1976.

Still very highly regarded here.

Pete reached the grand old age of 78 yesterday.

Pete Smith that is, not Murray.

Edited by salty
  • Like 1

On 7/12/2020 at 7:58 AM, steve roberts said:

Swindon always had decent second halves (as did Oxford) in those days with an abundant of talent on show. Personally I used to enjoy the old second halves and thought it a good system bringing on riders and enabling them to 'mix it' with established team members.

Great article in the latest "Backtrack" magazine listing the riders who rode in second halves at Cowley during the 70's & 80's. Some fabulous names to conjour with and I, for one, used to enjoy the second halves and the opportunities and experience gained by riders during that era.

What year did the old second halves come to an end-were they abolished all together  or was it a slow decline. They were going strong when I left but by my last ever speedway meeting in UK they'd gone. BTW the last ever meeting I saw was at Berwick on 19th October 2002 v I.O.W-Young Shield Semi Final. Not a success- I of course knew none of the riders, weather was cold, was standing up on terraces , my back was aching and left after Heat 7 to drive back to Edinburgh-got too used to comfort I guess. Following day saw Hearts lose 0-6 to Celtic at home, but a comfortable seat and had a pint in the bar with some friendly and good natured Hearts fans!!

At the Berwick meeting the star seemed to be a guy called Danny Bird for I.O.W.-did he end up having a good career. Score was 17-19 when I left but just couldn't get interested in the racing. Sorry for being off topic here!!