British Speedway Forum
Rayleigh

It might be all over for Rye House

1 hour ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Just one track remains in the South East of England...... Sittingbourne....... which hangs by a thread due to the severe planning constraints. Letters supporting the changes to planning have made no difference. 

Whilst the south-east has lost far too many tracks, don’t forget Eastbourne........

2 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Rob,

Regrettably, not sure that any of the points you make carry any weight without having on board a rich prospective speedway promoter or generous benefactor willing to take on the gamble and invest in speedway. 

Letting your land to a sport that operates 6 months of the year maybe once a fortnight just doesn't make good financial sense when you can get a regular income for a gym , a bunch of astro turf pitches for 12 months year ball sports.

There just isn't any money in letting your land to a speedway in the UK compared to the potential £ millions for other options. 

Coventry and Oxford maybe still in existence as sites, but no one is going to stump up the cash to start up a speedway. Protests coninue  but have they had any success ?? No. The sites will  just lay dormant until the respective councils fall over for the  extra income from business rates and award planning consent  and allow the developers to move in. 

In no particular order .....

Rayleigh, Romford , West Ham, Hackney, New Cross, Arena Essex, Crayford, Wimbledon, Wembley, Canterbury. 

All gone. Dont think any of petition signing did any good at all. ..... they all closed. 

Just one track remains in the South East of England...... Sittingbourne....... which hangs by a thread due to the severe planning constraints. Letters supporting the changes to planning have made no difference. 

It's fine Bob, we just sit on our hands and forget it. Why bother trying, eh?

The story is confirmed as true from a primary source. 

I will bow to your wishes and the other relentless negative posters on here. 

It's not worth trying anything is it. 

Thanks, it's much easier to be a useless cynic. 

• Like 1

Just to follow-up my posting to Old Bob It's Not Worth Doing Anything Ever from Herne Bay, 

The story is true. I was up for the battle to fight it but coming in here and just seeing relentless negativity you just get sickened by it all.

Let's not do anything, try anything because it's never worth trying. 

It's like giving up on a match when you lose a 5-1 in the first heat, but hey that's modern speedway. Not worth helping anyone. Just let it all die. 

I have better things to do than have to fight with people here even before the main fight starts. I came in here to inform but of course the BSF prefer gossip and negativity to facts. Don't ever complain why speedway supporters don't get told what's going on when you have to go through this crap when you do. 

Edited by RobMcCaffery

11 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Just to follow-up my posting to Old Bob It's Not Worth Doing Anything Ever from Herne Bay, 

The story is true. I was up for the battle to fight it but coming in here and just seeing relentless negativity you just get sickened by it all.

It's like giving up on a match when you lose a 5-1 in the first heat, but hey that's modern speedway. Not worth helping anyone. Just let it all die. 

I have better things to do than have to fight with people here even before the main fight starts. I came in here to inform but of course the BSF prefer gossip and negativity to facts. Don't ever complain why speedway supporters don't get told what's going on when you have to go through this crap when you do. 

Don't over react. You know what it is like here. You've said goodbye often enough. Just get on with doing your bit in private without telling anyone about it. If Rye House is saved, we will know who is responsible. Thanks for your effort in advance

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Rob mcdrama queen at it again. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Bloody hell it's literally you picking the fights here!

Old bob and one other person replied from what i can see, and both of those posters aren't even close to Rye so what relevance is that ?

You were only giving suggestions at angles for people to lobby anyway, you weren't exactly offering to run a campaign.

If several Rye regulars were admitting defeat then i'd say you have a point, but christ almighty, this thread has only been up half a day!

Edited by The Doctor...
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Doctor... said:

Bloody hell it's literally you picking the fights here!

Old bob and one other person replied from what i can see, and both of those posters aren't even close to Rye so what relevance is that ?

You were only giving suggestions at angles for people to lobby anyway, you weren't exactly offering to run a campaign.

If several Rye regulars were admitting defeat then i'd say you have a point, but christ almighty, this thread has only been up half a day!

He just loves a whinge . Always has on here. 

its sad old men like him that give the sport such a bad rep .

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

It's fine Bob, we just sit on our hands and forget it. Why bother trying, eh?

The story is confirmed as true from a primary source. 

I will bow to your wishes and the other relentless negative posters on here. 

It's not worth trying anything is it. 

Thanks, it's much easier to be a useless cynic. 

Dont think Bob is being cynical..

Just being quite realistic based on the clear evidence of past experiences of other clubs within the 'local ish' vicinity..

There has been success stories over the years around the country which should inspire some belief, (Birmingham and the NSS two that spring to mind, as well as of course Kent in the South East), however, the odds are heavily stacked against Speedway clubs coming back from 'the dead' and it would be wrong to ignore that starting point..

Bottom line is the local population around Rye House didnt come out to support the sport in enough numbers, be that because of the quality of the product, the price charged to watch, or the 'opening hours'...

Therefore. No point taking personally someone else's opinion of a situation, especially given that (a lot of) previous similar situations shows that their opinion of the likely outcome is probably the way things will unfortunately turn out..

Best of luck to those who will try and fight to save Speedway at Rye House, it will though be a huge fight to overcome, and there's nothing negative about being realistic about that..

Indeed, for some it might prove as an inspirational challenge for them to succeed where many can only see failure...

Bottom line is that if enough of the population of Rye House desperately want Speedway it may get saved, if not enough show that they are bothered, it definitely wont..

As I say, best of luck to those willing to fight, but let's be brutally honest, another Speedway track closed for good will hardly send a ripple around the UK sporting world will it?

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Rayleigh said:

I have just heard some very sad news that the plans for the Rye House stadium does NOT include ANY speedway.

Like at Coventry and Oxford I think it is important to contact the owners of the Kart Track to politely demonstrate that there is a big demand for Speedway and could they please reconsider their decision.

I doubt there is big demand for speedway anywhere.  If there was such big demand at Rye House where were they all on race nights & why did it close?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Noodles said:

I doubt there is big demand for speedway anywhere.  If there was such big demand at Rye House where were they all on race nights & why did it close?

Early in the 2017 season, top flight racing at Rye just about held its own on saturday nights. Once the midweek fixtures kicked in, the crowds dropped off alarmingly. The fixed race nights of 2018 all but finished the track off. Lakeside did move in to Rye at the end of the season, but it proved to be a disaster for the future of both clubs.

• Like 1

Top flight Speedway at Rye was always going to fail. The Saturday crowds would have tailed off once the novelty wore off, the fixed race nights were the death knell that accelerated things.

Could BMR have stepped back to the second tier once fixed race nights were floated? Maybe. Did they know what they were doing? I doubt it. The way they built their teams was testament to what I always saw as their naivety when it came to running a speedway team. It appeared to me they wanted to run at the highest level even though it wasn’t sustainable. 

Speedway at Rye House was a big part of my life, I would never have met my best friend if it wasn’t for Rye House and I’d be sad if the door to Speedway was shut forever, however it looks increasingly likely. Someone could run the track and make it a sustainable enterprise in the second or third tier I’m sure but it would take deep pockets in the short term to do so and you’d be stupid to walk into speedway these days. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

Top flight Speedway at Rye was always going to fail. The Saturday crowds would have tailed off once the novelty wore off, the fixed race nights were the death knell that accelerated things.

Could BMR have stepped back to the second tier once fixed race nights were floated? Maybe. Did they know what they were doing? I doubt it. The way they built their teams was testament to what I always saw as their naivety when it came to running a speedway team. It appeared to me they wanted to run at the highest level even though it wasn’t sustainable. 

Speedway at Rye House was a big part of my life, I would never have met my best friend if it wasn’t for Rye House and I’d be sad if the door to Speedway was shut forever, however it looks increasingly likely. Someone could run the track and make it a sustainable enterprise in the second or third tier I’m sure but it would take deep pockets in the short term to do so and you’d be stupid to walk into speedway these days. 

Speedway at Rye was losing money before BMR got involved. Len knew this and sold them a dead duck. The crowds were down and the stadium needed major investment. Len never hangs around once a track starts to go into the red, he's no mug when it comes to business.

Please gentlemen stop bickering, this is a very serious time for the team and the sport.

I hope people can focus on trying to avert this disaster.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ben91 said:

Think there's a real element of truth about this.  I went to Rye House's first top flight match, and lots of fans I spoke to said it was the best crowd they'd seen down there.  Once the initial buzz wore off, it was always likely that crowds would level out (by all accounts they were dropping in the latter years of Len Silver's time).  Once they lost Saturday nights, I think the writing was on the wall.

Hopefully it can be salvaged.  We've lost far too many tracks in recent years.

League speedway is finished at Rye House. Anyone thinking it can be revived by lobbying the owners needs to have their bumps felt. The new leaseholders have no interest in Speedway and are fully aware that the sport is on its knees everywhere in the UK. 

Any potential promoter would have to come up with a staggering (and I mean Euro millions lottery winning staggering)  amount of money to tempt the new owners into giving them a lease and then have another staggering (maybe a rollover Lotto win) amount of money to get the stadium fit for Speedway.

Treasure your memories but don't let anyone give you any false hopes that the Rockets can be revived, they can't, they're history.

• Like 1