Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Rayleigh

It might be all over for Rye House

the only way i can see speedway returning is IF a multitude of sports pull together, speedway, greyhound racing, football, go karts etc etc.

5 minutes ago, Odds On said:

the only way i can see speedway returning is IF a multitude of sports pull together, speedway, greyhound racing, football, go karts etc etc.

No room for a dog track at Rye, those days are long gone. 

3 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

No room for a dog track at Rye, those days are long gone. 

since when was there no room for the dog track?

1 hour ago, Odds On said:

There is room for a dog track but the old dog track was taken up and it would only be more expense to reinstate it. I believe the raised banks on the bends are on top of where the old track once was too. There’s a dog track in Harlow ten minutes away anyway, too close to make greyhounds viable at Rye. 

4 hours ago, Odds On said:

Since the new Gym was built and the dog kennels demolished, any new circuit would encroach on the speedway track. 

Game over for Speedway. Used to love my trips to Rye House, from the pub nearby, to the unusual camber on the first bend. Tragic.

Greyhound racing is only being kept going by Streamed meetings and there are not enough streamed meetings to go round as it is, so im afraid though RH is a good location for Greyhounds economically it woudnt be viable, just to add Greyhound racing is similar to Speedway not enough spectators but the bookies keep it going, in Speedways case there are only a very few people that like to have a bet on racing, again there could be possibilities in that area, but the powers that be dont seem inclined to investigate them.. £50,000 to £100,000 Greyhound derbys are not unheard of, when have we ever had that kind meeting speedway meeting in the UK ?.

I used to regularly visit the Rye House website and in excellent style it gave up-to-date speedway happenings. But when I logged on today I  had this response - has any other member also had the same response?

https://www.ryehouserockets.co

11 minutes ago, gustix said:

I used to regularly visit the Rye House website and in excellent style it gave up-to-date speedway happenings. But when I logged on today I  had this response - has any other member also had the same response?

The website is www.ryehouse-speedway.com - sometimes it doesn’t hurt to do a google search. 

14 minutes ago, gustix said:

2 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

The website is www.ryehouse-speedway.com - sometimes it doesn’t hurt to do a google search. 

Thank you for the update Ben91. Its over a year since I last tried a website visit to Rye House. Consequently I had no idea - for me at least - there had been a change.

2 minutes ago, gustix said:

Thank you for the update Ben91. Its over a year since I last tried a website visit to Rye House. Consequently I had no idea - for me at least - there had been a change.

The site content hasn’t been updated since Lakeside finished racing at Rye. Would be a shame to lose all that content of course but it will all fall by the wayside when the domain name expires I expect. 

11 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

Yes that Link is OK - sadly contents on there are very much out of date. My first visit to Rye House was in early 1954 - with the meeting rained off after my tedious journey from 'sarf' London.