British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Issue 98 - Terry Betts, Oxford v Swindon rivalry, Steve McDermott, Superama, World Finals by Numbers, etc

Issue 98 of Backtrack is out now and here's a small taste of the feast of nostalgia inside. To subscribe (remember, it's subscription only, no single copy sales), please go to www.retro-speedway.com

TERRY BETTS: Life & Times
In our opening seven-page special, ROB PEASLEY recalls the many highs and occasional lows in the illustrious career of the universally popular 'Mr King's Lynn Speedway', who outshone every Star that ever graced Saddlebow Road and won World Team Cup and World Pairs gold medals.

STEVE McDERMOTT exclusive interview

In a new four-page interview, ANDREW SKEELS catches up with the long-serving former Berwick star and NLRC winner who pays tribute to Jack Millen, the man who laid the foundations for his racing career.

BACKCHAT

MARTIN ROGERS answers readers' questions on . . . his best and worst moments as a promoter, the defunct track he most wishes he could visit, and could National League promoters have done more to block the 'foreign invasion' that began in 1988?

WORLD FINALS by NUMBERS

DOUG NICOLSON gets his calculator out again to look back at what factors, if any, contributed to victory beyond pure rider skill and the odd slice of good fortune. His in-depth analysis of all 46 individual World Finals from 1949 to 1994 reveals, among other things, the most and least successful riding numbers on the big night (one number failed to provide any winners)

TRACK RIVALRIES: Oxford v Swindon
ROB PEASLEY recalls classic derbies between southern rivals. SWINDON and Oxford had been local rivals right from the very first meeting at Blunsdon in 1949, when Cheetahs had won 45-39. Most of the 13 matches featured here were contested in the late 80s, when the rivalry between the clubs arguably reached new heights. A time when Robins savoured every victory over their all-conquering neighbours.

BIG NIGHTS: Superama
PHIL CHARD continues to review British speedway's most prestigious individual meetings. This time he's in east London for the Hackney classic that no home star ever had the chance to contest. Past winners (1967-81): Barry Briggs, Anders Michanek, Ronnie Moore, Ray Wilson, Ivan Mauger, John Louis, Martin Ashby, Dave Jessup, Malcolm Simmons, Peter Collins, Ole Olsen and Phil Crump.

SHUTDOWN!

DOUG NICOLSON gets all misty-eyed looking at how supporters had to try and cope with the loss of their local track during the 1970-89 Backtrack era.

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO . . . Warren Hawkins?

The Australian newcomer finished his debut British season for Crewe with an impressive 6.1 average from 23 official second division and KO Cup appearances. But, as MARTIN NEAL explains in this new interview with the Sydneysider, Hawkins never raced in Britain again.

THAT NAME RINGS A BELL: Wolverhampton

Whatever became of them, all the ex-riders who had second-half races, junior matches or interval spins in the 70s and 80s at . . . WOLVERHAMPTON? In this memory-jogger, MARK SAWBRIDGE lists all those budding one-time Monmore Green hopefuls, who can at least look back and proclaim: "I had a go!"

LOST IN TIME

How our social media followers on Facebook and Twitter voted when asked to name the one defunct track, above all others, they most wished they had visited but never did.

IN THE ZONE

A recent Facebook post by former American No.1 Scott Autrey raised the rarely aired subject of pre-race preparations and, specifically, what goes through a rider's head in those private moments from the time he leaves the pit gate to reaching the starting gate. We invited other ex-racers to share their thoughts on their mindset, habits and possible superstitions, and how they treated track staff on the way to tapes. Respondents include: John Davis, Phil Collins, Graham Tattersall, Karl Fiala, Mike Fullerton, Dave Johnson, Vic Cross, Roger Lambert, Colin Mckee, Mike Caroline, Dag Lovaas, Doug Wyer, Bobby Duncan, Peter Prinsloo.

Plus . . . full-page Belle Vue Hyde Road stadium pic, Notebook, readers' letters, plus obits on George Graham, Eric Linden, Steve Brennan and Gordon Day.

BT 98_edit page.jpg

Another great read! I found the interview with Steve McDermott particularly enlightening especially his friendship with Jack Millen.

As usual this is compulsive reading!  I locked myself away for a few hours on Friday when it arrived and still keep dipping back into it.

Although I've always been a Belle Vue supporter, I've always regarded Terry Betts  as a real gentleman and a true club legend. I don't see any riders having such an affinity to their clubs for so long ever again - the season at the end of his career at Reading almost felt 'wrong' to me, a bit like Steven Gerrard having a year in Los Angeles at the end of his career.

The Steve McDermott interview was also eye opening, Jack Millen must have been a real headache to work with, but what a character!

Edited by Garry1603
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Garry1603 said:

As usual this is compulsive reading!  I locked myself away for a few hours on Friday when it arrived and still keep dipping back into it.

Although I've always been a Belle Vue supporter, I've always regarded Terry Betts  as a real gentleman and a true club legend. I don't see any riders having such an affinity to their clubs for so long ever again - the season at the end of his career at Reading almost felt 'wrong' to me, a bit like Steven Gerrard having a year in Los Angeles at the end of his career.

The Steve McDermott interview was also eye opening, Jack Millen must have been a real headache to work with, but what a character!

I agree and it was more accustomed back then for riders to spend a large chunk of their careers connected to a particular club.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

I agree and it was more accustomed back then for riders to spend a large chunk of their careers connected to a particular club.

Surely it would help build up local sponsors as well?

I own a business and I'd preferably want a long term relationship with a rider than 'this year's model'.

• Like 1

Liked the Steve McDermott interview, he had a very laid back attitude and knew what he was doing regarding earning a living from the sport while still working at the same time planning his future( a few today need to adopt that way of life).He was a class act with a great style and  very underrated.IMO.

Friendly and a great servant  loyal to Berwick and certainly seemed to enjoy his speedway.Obviously enjoying life which is great to see.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

Still waiting on my copy! That's the drawback of living out in the sticks in Northern Ireland. Hoping it pops through the letterbox tomorrow.

Edit: And it did! Happy days!

Edited by salty