British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Eric Linden

Was wondering is Eric still with us-if not when did he pass away?. What about Howard Jacobi, Robin Martakies, Bob Radford, Paul Parish et al

14 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

Was wondering is Eric still with us-if not when did he pass away?. What about Howard Jacobi, Robin Martakies, Bob Radford, Paul Parish et al

I know that Bob Radford passed away in May 2017, at the age of 70. I haven't looked, but I am absolutely positive that we had a thread on here.

Edited by chunky

Yeh there was a thing in the Star that he passed away i'm sure it was only this year. 

Bob Radford sadly went a while back as Chunky said - he had a fair old fight against the big C.

Great servant to Reading and others in the south. Lovely fella.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Doctor... said:

Yeh there was a thing in the Star that he passed away i'm sure it was only this year. 

Bob Radford sadly went a while back as Chunky said - he had a fair old fight against the big C.

Great servant to Reading and others in the south. Lovely fella.  

Fell out with the Promotion at Oxford in 1974 however when he was involved at Cowley after the demise of Reading in 1973.

Extremely sorry to hear about Bob Radford-liked him a lot. If any of you kept the 1964 Speedway Stars a young Bob had a letter published in the Readers Letters column. I think Bob was from Swindon, it referred to a proposal he suggested for the Prov. League-it would be called The Captain's Trophy and would be the captains of each track e.g. Doug Templeton (Edinburgh), Jack Kitchen (Sheffield) etc. racing against each other-it was because supporters  in the southern Prov. League Tracks might only get to see these Northern Captains once a season. Before you ask what's the date of that Star-don't because I don't have it after all these years. The age of 70 is too young to die these days. Anyone know about the other journalists mentioned in my previous post.-anyone know if it was lung cancer.

16 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

There's a tribute to Eric in the latest edition of "Backtrack". He passed away in a Leicestershire care home in April aged 94.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Fell out with the Promotion at Oxford in 1974 however when he was involved at Cowley after the demise of Reading in 1973.

A very good announcer as well.

47 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

A very good announcer as well.

Remember when he stood in at Cowley during 1976 he started off with a war cry as "The Rebels" before realising his mistake and that Oxford were now operating under the name of "The Cheetahs"!

Wasn't the Angus Kix column in the Speedway Star, Eric Linden writing under a nom de plume?

34 minutes ago, Split said:

Wasn't the Angus Kix column in the Speedway Star, Eric Linden writing under a nom de plume?

Yup it was, in my innocence when I first started reading the Star in 1964 I was amazed by the number of journalists they seemed to have.  Does anyone know if Eric also wrote the Danny Carter  "Gossip and Gas" column-was he Danny as well??. Also anyone know who wrote the Exeter reports-surely it wasn't a guy called Frank Drake (I think it was a nom de plume derived from Sir Francis Drake). Also any news on Robin (or Ross) Martakies-think he was a local Newport journalist who used to do the Newport match reports-think he moved up to Cumbria in later years?? Also anyone know if Frank McLean is still alive-he wrote the Belle Vue reports?

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 1:10 AM, BOBBATH said:

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

What about the initial involvement at Speedway Star in 1952 with Bob and Charlie?

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, gustix said:

What about the initial involvement at Speedway Star in 1952 involving Bob and Charlie?

What about it ? I was just pointing something out, not answering every question going. I guess as a proper Charlie you might know :P

1 hour ago, BOBBATH said:

Yup it was, in my innocence when I first started reading the Star in 1964 I was amazed by the number of journalists they seemed to have.  Does anyone know if Eric also wrote the Danny Carter  "Gossip and Gas" column-was he Danny as well??. Also anyone know who wrote the Exeter reports-surely it wasn't a guy called Frank Drake (I think it was a nom de plume derived from Sir Francis Drake). Also any news on Robin (or Ross) Martakies-think he was a local Newport journalist who used to do the Newport match reports-think he moved up to Cumbria in later years?? Also anyone know if Frank McLean is still alive-he wrote the Belle Vue reports?

The Speedway Star tribute to Eric Linden mentioned that Danny Carter was a figment of Eric's imagination - as was Rick Eldon,James Oldfield, Dave Nelson, the aforementioned Angus KIx and many more.

Pretty sure Frank McLean passed away a few years ago, I seem to recall a feature in the Star - apologies if I'm mistaken.

Hopefully, Phillip Rising might see this thread - he's likely to have more info on these writers.

1 hour ago, BOBBATH said:

DANNY Carter was another of Eric Linden's pseudonyms (he had many). Frank Maclean passed away many years ago. Frank Drake was also a pseudonym for a local journalist whose paper didn't want him to use his own name.There was a few of these for a time, something I stamped out when I took over as Editor from Paul Parish in 1979. Paul went on to work for TV Times (with Eric Linden and Dave Lanning) but lost track of him. 

Edited by PHILIPRISING