British Speedway Forum

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 10:51 AM, Shockster said:

All the riders in the GP with the exception of Martin Smolinski (no offence to anyone but MS isn't going to win it) ride and are based there.  They all know the Ekstraliga tracks and it seems a pretty level playing field to me. 

I think the first sentence contradicts the second somewhat. If one rider is at a disadvantage then how can it be a level playing field.........

10 minutes ago, andout said:

And then there were four!!!!

MOST likely there will be eight SGPs this year, maybe all double-headers (over two nights). Prague still a possibility. 

• Like 2

On 6/25/2020 at 1:56 PM, SPEEDY69 said:

More rounds in Poland simply means the likelihood of a Polish champion increase.  Let's have a round at Eastbourne and see how they do :D

Would need all the rounds at Eastbourne:D 

4 hours ago, iris123 said:

I think the first sentence contradicts the second somewhat. If one rider is at a disadvantage then how can it be a level playing field.........

I was referring to the riders with the exception of Smolinski (currently injured anyway).  All the others ride in the Ekstraliga. It would keep expenses and travelling down and just a 1 year fix. It's just how I'd look to do it, if I were in charge.  Probably not allowed to do it anyway due to contracts with BSI etc?

5 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

Due to ongoing global health concerns and crowd restrictions in Russia and Germany in light of COVID-19, we regret to announce that the 2020 Russian FIM Speedway Grand Prix and 2020 Aztorin German FIM Speedway Grand Prix have been cancelled. 

Paul Bellamy, Managing Director & SVP of Motorsports at IMG said: “We are disappointed to be cancelling two of our most popular events, but we look forward to sharing more detail in the coming weeks about the 2020 World Championship contingency plan we’re developing with the FIM, involving a minimum of eight FIM Speedway Grand Prix events. In the meantime, we thank our fans for their continued support of the series, and we look forward to returning to Russia and Germany in 2021.”

How can a GP that's never been staged (Russia) be one of the most popular?

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

MOST likely there will be eight SGPs this year, maybe all double-headers (over two nights). Prague still a possibility. 

What about Denmark in September? 

3 minutes ago, mark.1 said:

What about Denmark in September? 

NOT sure. Think they (Jacob Olsen) still want it but more problematic than Prague.

• Thanks 1

Nicki P is going home between Polish meetings, he gets scanned for the lurgy each time he returns and that's that 

13 hours ago, Shockster said:

I was referring to the riders with the exception of Smolinski (currently injured anyway).  All the others ride in the Ekstraliga. It would keep expenses and travelling down and just a 1 year fix. It's just how I'd look to do it, if I were in charge.  Probably not allowed to do it anyway due to contracts with BSI etc?

The thing is, when it was a level playing field, down in NZ, Smoli actually won a GP !!!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, stevehone said:

Nicki P is going home between Polish meetings, he gets scanned for the lurgy each time he returns and that's that 

Thing is though for foreigners you aren’t allowed into the country unless you can prove you have booked into a hotel etc for 6 nights, which might be difficult for the rest of the riders and officials ? You can always do what it seems a lot are doing. Show your booking at the border and once in the country cancel !! But as so many have done that already they are trying to stop it. Plus there is still the crowd problem....

19 minutes ago, iris123 said:

The thing is, when it was a level playing field, down in NZ, Smoli actually won a GP !!!

Apart from the gismo he had on his bike which was then banned. :)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Maybe they should start fully scrutineering bikes and then put them in a parc ferme, that could really level the field

2 hours ago, racers and royals said:

The gismo might have been subsequently banned, but unlike other riders with dodgy bikes, nothing happened to Smoli, which I would say is important in the level playing field thingmy

2 hours ago, racers and royals said:

True it was banned but he didn't do much wrong if memory serves me right.   He saw a loophole, used it and told people what he had done.    I had a feeling other riders got that banned.

• Like 2

I like Smolinski as he tries, but this is a 1 off year (hopefully) and Poland staging 8 including Torun seems very fair to me as the riders know all the tracks. Doubt it'll happen anyway.

• Like 1