British Speedway Forum

The problem is that we do not yet know whether the corona restrictions we are subject to until 31 August will also apply after 1 September. The government will not announce this until August, but we have to make a decision before then, says Jacob Olsen to TV SYD. A game of Russian roulette Jacob Olsen bought Vojens Speedway Center a year and a half ago from his father - the four-time individual world champion in speedway, Ole Olsen - who founded the track in 1975.

Until the turn of the millennium, the course was in Vojens Denmark's national course, and this is the status that the new owner of the center has ambitions to recreate. The goal is for Vojens to once again be a center for world-class speedway and for the development of Danish talents for the sport.

But the uncertainty about how many spectators he can lock into the stands when the Grand Prix is scheduled to run on September 12 makes the decision as to whether it should be settled at all a bit of a game of Russian roulette. A wrong decision can threaten the centre's existence, Jacob Olsen admits

The current corona restrictions mean that a maximum of 500 spectators may be allowed in the stands. Last year, the event gathered 15,000 people, as Vojens, for the first time in almost two decades, was once again able to add slag to the running of the Grand Prix, which is the Danish division of the world championships. But Jacob Olsen does not believe that all restrictions will be lifted when we reach 31 August. The question is whether the government sticks to an upper limit on assemblies of 500 people - or whether the limit is raised, and if so, how close people are allowed to stand in the stands.This is crucial for the finances of the project, says Jacob Olsen. Great uncertainty As the Grand Prix will take place in September, Jacob Olsen is excluded from seeking financial assistance in the aid packages that have been in force over the summer. They expire along with the current coronary restrictions on August 31st

Thus, Vojens Speedway Center risks being left with the whole bill if not enough spectators can be admitted to the grand prix. - We are "outside the category", because the event is in September, and these are some things that have helped to frustrate me in this whole situation, says Jacob Olsen.

Jacob Olsen has together with Member of Parliament for the Liberal Party, Hans Chr. Schmidt, held a meeting with Minister of Trade and Industry Simon Kollerup (Social Democrats), hoping to gain an understanding of the challenges of speedway sports. However, he has not been able to get an answer on how many spectators he can expect to be allowed to close in September. - There are no opportunities with standing places, as it is now, and we all know that the assembly ban is 500 people. On those terms, we can not arrange a grand prix, where we had 15,000 people last year. So there are some challenges, to be honest. - We can not wind up if it will cost the survival of my company, and then we have to pull the plug, because we do not have the same facilities as the super league in football with spectator seats, where people can sit down, says Jacob Olsen.

Jacob Olsen expects that during the coming week he will make the final decision on whether the Grand Prix will be run or not, together with the rights holders of the Grand Prix series in England and FIM - the International Motorcycle Federation.

- I hope and continue to fight. We have sold tickets for the event, and I think I owe it to our guests and loyal fans that it can succeed, says Jacob Olsen.

https://www.tvsyd.dk/haderslev/grand-prix-kan-koste-speedwaycenter-livet

Guess that is why nothing has been decided with the league as well. 500 people

Edited by iris123

15 minutes ago, iris123 said:

The problem is that we do not yet know whether the corona restrictions we are subject to until 31 August will also apply after 1 September. The government will not announce this until August, but we have to make a decision before then, says Jacob Olsen to TV SYD. A game of Russian roulette Jacob Olsen bought Vojens Speedway Center a year and a half ago from his father - the four-time individual world champion in speedway, Ole Olsen - who founded the track in 1975.

Until the turn of the millennium, the course was in Vojens Denmark's national course, and this is the status that the new owner of the center has ambitions to recreate. The goal is for Vojens to once again be a center for world-class speedway and for the development of Danish talents for the sport.

But the uncertainty about how many spectators he can lock into the stands when the Grand Prix is scheduled to run on September 12 makes the decision as to whether it should be settled at all a bit of a game of Russian roulette. A wrong decision can threaten the centre's existence, Jacob Olsen admits

The current corona restrictions mean that a maximum of 500 spectators may be allowed in the stands. Last year, the event gathered 15,000 people, as Vojens, for the first time in almost two decades, was once again able to add slag to the running of the Grand Prix, which is the Danish division of the world championships. But Jacob Olsen does not believe that all restrictions will be lifted when we reach 31 August. The question is whether the government sticks to an upper limit on assemblies of 500 people - or whether the limit is raised, and if so, how close people are allowed to stand in the stands.This is crucial for the finances of the project, says Jacob Olsen. Great uncertainty As the Grand Prix will take place in September, Jacob Olsen is excluded from seeking financial assistance in the aid packages that have been in force over the summer. They expire along with the current coronary restrictions on August 31st

Thus, Vojens Speedway Center risks being left with the whole bill if not enough spectators can be admitted to the grand prix. - We are "outside the category", because the event is in September, and these are some things that have helped to frustrate me in this whole situation, says Jacob Olsen.

Jacob Olsen has together with Member of Parliament for the Liberal Party, Hans Chr. Schmidt, held a meeting with Minister of Trade and Industry Simon Kollerup (Social Democrats), hoping to gain an understanding of the challenges of speedway sports. However, he has not been able to get an answer on how many spectators he can expect to be allowed to close in September. - There are no opportunities with standing places, as it is now, and we all know that the assembly ban is 500 people. On those terms, we can not arrange a grand prix, where we had 15,000 people last year. So there are some challenges, to be honest. - We can not wind up if it will cost the survival of my company, and then we have to pull the plug, because we do not have the same facilities as the super league in football with spectator seats, where people can sit down, says Jacob Olsen.

Jacob Olsen expects that during the coming week he will make the final decision on whether the Grand Prix will be run or not, together with the rights holders of the Grand Prix series in England and FIM - the International Motorcycle Federation.

- I hope and continue to fight. We have sold tickets for the event, and I think I owe it to our guests and loyal fans that it can succeed, says Jacob Olsen.

https://www.tvsyd.dk/haderslev/grand-prix-kan-koste-speedwaycenter-livet

Guess that is why nothing has been decided with the league as well. 500 people

Going by that I think he’s no alternative but to call it off sadly 

With the Challenge being sorted for August in Croatia,surely they have to have a Grand prix series, because the top 3 from there plus the SEC winner into next years series , they are not going to kick 4 riders out.

The line up will not be the best with one rider from 16 countries, could be a few shocks in 2021

I'm hearing rumours about a proposed (double-header) GP schedule like this:

28.08 / 29.08
11.09 / 12.09
18.09 / 19.09
02.10 / 03.10

Edited by DutchGrasstrack

5 minutes ago, DutchGrasstrack said:

I'm hearing rumours about a proposed (double-header) GP schedule like this:

28.09 / 29.09
11.09 / 12.09
18.09 / 19.09
02.10 / 03.10

28.08/29.08, I guess ?

• Thanks 1

One of the major problems which supporters seem not to understand is INSURANCE. Currently no UK Insurance company will cover any individual or company with anything even loosely connected or caused by Covid 19. That means if a hotel suddenly closed..infections ...stadium crowds...buses...Lets say something happens and you have bought tickets/rooms/plane seats..etc...you will not be covered...and nor will any hospitalisation...or treatment.....Everyone with a European medical card will get BASIC cover....and ONLY basic cover. All cancellations we have instigated have been covered by ourselves so no client misses out financially...But All this has cost us a large sum...but it could have been worse....we have full  ATOL/ABTA cover and everything financial is Government guaranteed....worth thinking about.  But above all GOOD HEALTH is not something you can gamble with 

Is it impossible they could move the Friday Ektralague matches to another midweek slot ?     Did I read it right that Poland wanted some big meetings on Monday nights.

3 minutes ago, Mark said:

Is it impossible they could move the Friday Ektralague matches to another midweek slot ?     Did I read it right that Poland wanted some big meetings on Monday nights.

I was just about to post that it`s reported that the Extraleague might give up those Friday nights that clash and go to Thursday`s that week.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, racers and royals said:

I was just about to post that it`s reported that the Extraleague might give up those Friday nights that clash and go to Thursday`s that week.

Blimey! The PZM working with the FIM! :shock:

5 minutes ago, iainb said:

Blimey! The PZM working with the FIM! :shock:

One small point- the PZM have always worked with the FIM- it`s the Extraleague which hasn`t both with the FIM and PZM :)

• Like 3

On 7/21/2020 at 4:11 PM, spiegal said:

One of the major problems which supporters seem not to understand is INSURANCE. Currently no UK Insurance company will cover any individual or company with anything even loosely connected or caused by Covid 19. That means if a hotel suddenly closed..infections ...stadium crowds...buses...Lets say something happens and you have bought tickets/rooms/plane seats..etc...you will not be covered...and nor will any hospitalisation...or treatment.....Everyone with a European medical card will get BASIC cover....and ONLY basic cover. All cancellations we have instigated have been covered by ourselves so no client misses out financially...But All this has cost us a large sum...but it could have been worse....we have full  ATOL/ABTA cover and everything financial is Government guaranteed....worth thinking about.  But above all GOOD HEALTH is not something you can gamble with 

I've just done a quote on my money supermarket and insurance cover is readily available and not very expensive at all it also covers you fully for covid 19 both before you travel and during your stay.