British Speedway Forum

9 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

And now gives someone who could score 9 points in 20  heats- 20 points on the night. It`s does nothing to improve the GP. Previously every race counted, now not so.

I agree, and it led to a close finish last year so why change it?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, racers and royals said:

Because the other disciplines like Moto GP do it :mad: 

Isn't that just one single race though?

So, what is the European Championship scoring system? 

34 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

And now gives someone who could score 9 points in 20  heats- 20 points on the night. It`s does nothing to improve the GP. Previously every race counted, now not so.

That was the whole reason they bought that in originally... how disappointing they’ve felt the need to change that!

The only thing I think they should of changed was either bring back double points for the final or changed the scoring to 4,3,2,1 for the final so as at least to reward the rider who comes 4th for reaching the final. 

• Like 1

Wonder what they will do with qualifying/practice in 2020 ? Is it really necessary  in the present circumstances ? They might as well just draw the numbers out of a hat this season.

We have tickets for Prague booked already - does anyone know what the procedure will be yet? Have seen that currently no more than 1000 people will be allowed at gatherings in Czech, how will they decide who can and can’t go into the stadium if tickets have already been purchased? 

We haven’t yet rebooked flights/hotels etc as it is still so up in the air. 

13 minutes ago, hardtobeat said:

We have tickets for Prague booked already - does anyone know what the procedure will be yet? Have seen that currently no more than 1000 people will be allowed at gatherings in Czech, how will they decide who can and can’t go into the stadium if tickets have already been purchased? 

We haven’t yet rebooked flights/hotels etc as it is still so up in the air. 

It still up in the air id say - things change rapidly here in the UK and Europe I’d be very cautious booking flights at the moment or none refundable hotels . 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Same as the old scoring system- 6 rides max 18 pts

And it made last night's meeting intriguing from the off. I was wondering, for example, if Robert Lamberts had missed an opportunity to stamp his authority over Madsen in his second ride.

Using the new GP scoring it's all down to the final race (which, I guess, is what they want), which would have given the same result but in a less interesting way.

3 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Wonder what they will do with qualifying/practice in 2020 ? Is it really necessary  in the present circumstances ? They might as well just draw the numbers out of a hat this season.

I can answer my own question- no qualifying in 2020 and no full practice, only  a short warm up session on Friday and nothing on Saturday

Edited by racers and royals

2 hours ago, Grachan said:

And it made last night's meeting intriguing from the off. I was wondering, for example, if Robert Lamberts had missed an opportunity to stamp his authority over Madsen in his second ride.

Using the new GP scoring it's all down to the final race (which, I guess, is what they want), which would have given the same result but in a less interesting way.

If the SEC used the new SGP scoring system, I think Madsen would have been crowned champion as soon as he qualified for the Final last night, possibly when he qualified for the semi final.

In the SGP scoring format, his 3 wins, especially the first round where he only scored 9 before the final, make a big difference to his points.

I prefer the old SGP/current SEC scoring format where every point counts.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, HenryW said:

If the SEC used the new SGP scoring system, I think Madsen would have been crowned champion as soon as he qualified for the Final last night, possibly when he qualified for the semi final.

In the SGP scoring format, his 3 wins, especially the first round where he only scored 9 before the final, make a big difference to his points.

I prefer the old SGP/current SEC scoring format where every point counts.

GP scoring

Lambert 18,12,12,20,20 total 82

Madsen 20,20,20,11,18 total 89

• Like 1

I wonder if BT Sport will still honour their contract to televise the revised GP schedule? Speedway no longer appears in the A-Z of sports on their website.