British Speedway Forum

Any ideas what is happening with the remainder of the GP series? BSI need to make an announcement soon as some of us have tickets and hotels booked !  

1 hour ago, james1234 said:

Any ideas what is happening with the remainder of the GP series? BSI need to make an announcement soon as some of us have tickets and hotels booked !  

I’m afraid BSI are just going to hang on to ticket money for as long as possible like Cardiff no decision till last minute.Poor show IMO.While I realised this is unprecedented they are not treating the fans well.IMO.

11 hours ago, Fromafar said:

I’m afraid BSI are just going to hang on to ticket money for as long as possible like Cardiff no decision till last minute.Poor show IMO.While I realised this is unprecedented they are not treating the fans well.IMO.

APART from Cardiff, what events are BSI hanging onto money from? IMG, like so many companies (including Pinegen, publishers of SS) have furloughed much of their staff. IMG run about 700 events in a normal year. BSI boss Paul Bellamy along with a skeleton staff is working his socks off to ty and salvage some sort of calendar for both speedway and rallycross while frequently having to battle either the FIM or the FIA. 

It may seem easy but it certainly isn't and the safety of personnel required at events is paramount. Personally, I think there will be a number of SGPs later this year. Whether or not they are behind closed doors or with restricted attendance is still up in the air.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

APART from Cardiff, what events are BSI hanging onto money from? IMG, like so many companies (including Pinegen, publishers of SS) have furloughed much of their staff. IMG run about 700 events in a normal year. BSI boss Paul Bellamy along with a skeleton staff is working his socks off to ty and salvage some sort of calendar for both speedway and rallycross while frequently having to battle either the FIM or the FIA. 

It may seem easy but it certainly isn't and the safety of personnel required at events is paramount. Personally, I think there will be a number of SGPs later this year. Whether or not they are behind closed doors or with restricted attendance is still up in the air.

I realised it is not easy ,but major sporting events have cancelled months in advance not weeks, not much consideration of fans plans taken by Speedway Promoters.

22 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

It may seem easy but it certainly isn't and the safety of personnel required at events is paramount. 

It is easy.

If there's any significant uncertainty about an event scheduled in a couple of months going ahead, then it needs to be cancelled. People will have/will be booking transport and hotels, but can usually get refunds or re-arrange up to a month or so in advance. 

On the other points, regardless of who actually runs individual GPs or collects, IMG/BSI is the championship organiser which should mean ensuring some sort of standards for the customer. It also means that dealing with the FIM and FIA comes with the territory - it's a necessary part of the job.

I think it's also a stretch to claim that IMG 'run about 700 events in a normal year'. Their own website actually says they 'own or represent 800 events' which is different to actually running them. Indeed, as you're happy to point out most of the time, IMG don't run most of the Speedway GPs. 

I don't doubt that IMG have been badly hit by this whole thing, just as the FIM and FIA will have difficulties with loss of income and staff, and having to deal with multiple different jurisdictions in trying to work out how to restart things. But they're hardly in a unique situation, and with respect, the importance of their industry and contribution to the world economy is relatively insignificant. Airlines and tour companies for example, have to deal with refunding huge amounts of money. 

I'm also intrigued to know why Pinegen needs to furlough staff as the Star is still being published as far as I know. Genuine question?

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

It is easy.

If there's any significant uncertainty about an event scheduled in a couple of months going ahead, then it needs to be cancelled. People will have/will be booking transport and hotels, but can usually get refunds or re-arrange up to a month or so in advance. 

On the other points, regardless of who actually runs individual GPs or collects, IMG/BSI is the championship organiser which should mean ensuring some sort of standards for the customer. It also means that dealing with the FIM and FIA comes with the territory - it's a necessary part of the job.

I think it's also a stretch to claim that IMG 'run about 700 events in a normal year'. Their own website actually says they 'own or represent 800 events' which is different to actually running them. Indeed, as you're happy to point out most of the time, IMG don't run most of the Speedway GPs. 

I don't doubt that IMG have been badly hit by this whole thing, just as the FIM and FIA will have difficulties with loss of income and staff, and having to deal with multiple different jurisdictions in trying to work out how to restart things. But they're hardly in a unique situation, and with respect, the importance of their industry and contribution to the world economy is relatively insignificant. Airlines and tour companies for example, have to deal with refunding huge amounts of money. 

I'm also intrigued to know why Pinegen needs to furlough staff as the Star is still being published as far as I know. Genuine question?

BECAUSE without furloughing staff we would go out of business... pronto!

• Like 1

Minimum of 8 GP's is the goal.    It says that in the press release

20 hours ago, Mark said:

Minimum of 8 GP's is the goal.    It says that in the press release

Warsaw now cancelled.

21 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Warsaw now cancelled.

No way that would run without a full crowd becuase of the cost of laying the track.      I'm thinking this.   Similar to the SEC there will be block of GP's in Poland on established tracks toward the end of the season with crowds allowed.    Poland are letting 25% crowds now so that should improve by August, September and October.     Only a guess but it is possible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark said:

No way that would run without a full crowd becuase of the cost of laying the track.      I'm thinking this.   Similar to the SEC there will be block of GP's in Poland on established tracks toward the end of the season with crowds allowed.    Poland are letting 25% crowds now so that should improve by August, September and October.     Only a guess but it is possible.

HOPEFULLY that will be the case.

• Like 1

Will be a press conference on 25.06 where Teterow will most probably be cancelled for this year, after the government basically put a block on crowds larger than 1,000 up until the end of October

New rumours suggest only five GP rounds, with 3 in Poland.