British Speedway Forum

5 hours ago, HenryW said:

I'm late to this chat and am intrigued by this comment.
Semi-professional leagues? Is that about the UK in the 80s or am I misunderstanding?
If it IS, does this mean that riders like Bruce, Erik and Hans have lesser World Titles than modern riders?

It's an age old argument and I know you can only beat what's put in front of you, but yes I was referring to the UK league of the 80's. The standard across the world was a lot less than it is these days, meaning that if you did have a bit of talent and were a professional you had a distinct advantage, could beat the semi-pro's more often and earn more money to put into your machinery and setup etc.

Is winning a GP series over 11/12 rounds a greater achievement than winning it over 6 rounds? For me it is. Tommy rode across the eras of World Championships crossing from one off to GP's and leagues becoming fully professional and didn't win a world title in either era.

2 hours ago, iainb said:

It's an age old argument and I know you can only beat what's put in front of you, but yes I was referring to the UK league of the 80's. The standard across the world was a lot less than it is these days, meaning that if you did have a bit of talent and were a professional you had a distinct advantage, could beat the semi-pro's more often and earn more money to put into your machinery and setup etc.

Is winning a GP series over 11/12 rounds a greater achievement than winning it over 6 rounds? For me it is. Tommy rode across the eras of World Championships crossing from one off to GP's and leagues becoming fully professional and didn't win a world title in either era.

TOMMY Knudsen was unlucky to be riding in the Gundersen/Nielsen era, followed by Jan O.Pedersen. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

TOMMY Knudsen was unlucky to be riding in the Gundersen/Nielsen era, followed by Jan O.Pedersen. 

Arguably he was at his best before then 1981 world final debut - 3rd

On 8/21/2020 at 12:15 PM, iainb said:

It'll be interesting to see how hard the riders will go in this years GP, with it being a condensed series, rounds being held back to back and a couple of them only a week apart it may pay off to be a steady eddy and not pick up any injuries as if they do they'll virtually have no time to recover

Don’t think many will think that way.

2 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Don’t think many will think that way.

They may do if somebody takes a knock on the first round

41 minutes ago, iainb said:

Arguably he was at his best before then 1981 world final debut - 3rd

TOMMY and I always agreed that his best performance was for Denmark in the 1985 World Team Cup Final in Long Beach, USA. Sensational...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, iainb said:

They may do if somebody takes a knock on the first round

At top level they have to trust their opposition,Steady Eddy won’t be a World Champion.IMO.The only safe place on track is in last place.

16 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

At top level they have to trust their opposition,Steady Eddy won’t be a World Champion.IMO.The only safe place on track is in last place.

Steady Greggy?

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

TOMMY and I always agreed that his best performance was for Denmark in the 1985 World Team Cup Final in Long Beach, USA. Sensational...

Was it '86 when Hans Nielsen "knocked him off"? Seem to remember Tommy being the favourite...

As a matter of interest, a bit of an anorak question, do you know which rider took the most attempts to win thier first title? Gollob must be up there

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 11:24 PM, iris123 said:

See the Czech football league has finished early after only restarting on May 25, due to a Covid outbreak !!! Will this have any influence on other sport in the country I wonder

https://www.web24.news/u/2020/07/the-czech-championship-finally-stopped-because-of-the-coronavirus.html

Well I while ago since I pointed out the problems in CZ, and just seen probably going on the list of countries you have to go into quarantine if you visit

3 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Well I while ago since I pointed out the problems in CZ, and just seen probably going on the list of countries you have to go into quarantine if you visit

Devastating problems they're having.

Since May 22nd, only three times have there been five deaths in a day. A few 4's.. mostly 1 or 2.

418 in total since March 6th... over 6.5 months ago.

What hope have we got when such a small amount is causing this?

Not attacking you Iris.. just again pointing out the sheer nonsense taking place!

• Like 2

No problem. I was just pointing out back then that the numbers were rising. At least of cases and that it seems is all it takes our and other governments to start putting in quarantine restrictions

Edited by iris123

19 minutes ago, iris123 said:

No problem. I was just pointing out back then that the numbers were rising. At least of cases and that it seems is all it takes our and other governments to start putting in quarantine restrictions

Again though, it's another good example.

Cases have risen... but not deaths.. they're down.