British Speedway Forum
a4poster

Polish Speedway on TV

57 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Dave Goddard does a decent job- he knows his Speedway.

Just wish he would realize that not every viewer wants to know about every Twitter post he has received. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RS50 said:

Just wish he would realize that not every viewer wants to know about every Twitter post he has received. 

What do you suggest he does to fill- silence !!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

I wonder if he can sing.;)

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

The problem ist that Goddard has to do the commentary all alone. He should get a co-commentor, best some rider or ex-rider (like with Pearson & Tatum). This would make it much easier for him and more entertaining for the viewers.

• Like 1

I have watched the same meeting on Polish TV with all the Polish commentators, reporters, re-plays and interviews, and found it highly exciting to watch (even without understanding the Polish language!), and then the same meeting with english commentary on Premier Sports felt so drawn out and rather boring to watch. 

So the problem seems to be the presentation of the Ekstraliga on Premier Sports, rather than the raw product, which is good quality as we get to see on nSport+ and on Eleven Sports each week.

By the way, it is the same problem with speedway on TV here in Germany. Speedway has never caught on with a wider sports audience on TV here in Germany, because speedway on TV has NEVER been presented in a good enough quality to capture the casual viewer. The coverage is more often than not drawn out with lengthy spells of nothign Happening. Our commentators usually lack in-depth knowledge of the Sport, tend to talk non-sense, and never ever reach the level of excitement that we get to experience in Poland. The Polish style of commentary is so full of excitement and enthusiasm. They show us how it should be done.  

Edited by Bavarian
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, racers and royals said:

Mike, Polish Speedway is brilliant. The tracks, the stars, the atmosphere, the professionalism. i could go on and on. There is no tractor racing in Polish speedway just 100% commitment in every race. Dave Goddard does a decent job- he knows his Speedway.

From what I've seen so far (on Premier/FreeSports)... there has been some close racing, no more than British Speedway though IMO, there was a close last heat decider last night but ironically the racing wasn't up to much. It's probably the atmosphere that makes it, when the stadiums are full, I watched the footy last night, the first half with "canned laughter" the second half with actual stadium noise and it really was "a game of 2 halves". You can include in the atmosphere, for a TV broadcast at least, the commentator and as with everything else, that's personal opinion... some people on here even watch it with Polish commentary!!! I do feel he's been given a tough job to do on his own... Tonder and lightening did make me laugh out loud though :D

I think the tractor racing Mike is referring to are the track grade/watering breaks which seem to happen for 6 or 7 minutes after every 3 or 4 heats.

I must admit I can't say I'm too keen on the race format in the Polish league, the riders seem to come out in different pairings for every race. This can't lead to great team riding and I wonder if this had anything to do with the Lambert/Lebedevs clash the other night.

Also, from what I've seen on the UK coverage, the riders don't seem to have much personality, with the exception of Leon Madsen who actually turns to the camera and interacts... we often see the back of a riders helmet as he rushes over to the TV to watch how brilliant he's just been :rofl:

Edited by iainb

I’ve been a little underwhelmed with Poland so far but acknowledge that it’s early days and that there hasn’t been a meeting in a full stadium yet. It’s been like most other speedway, mostly FTG’s with a few good heats thrown in and an occasional very good heat. Those very good heats are so good because the tracks are fast and the riders are top quality, a high speed good race will always trump one on a small track or with lesser riders such as NL in my opinion because if the skill levels and the extra speed which always makes things look much more spectacular but it is very much each to their own. 

One thing which has been lacking so far is a close meeting until last night, there have been far too many one sided contests. 

• Like 3

I expect Czestochowa v Wroclaw tonight to be a real thriller. This really should be THE top match in roudn 3 of the Ekstraliga this weekend.

The professional approach to running speedway coupled with the status that the sport holds in Poland means its light years ahead of the UK. 

It also kind of proves that the way the sport is run and portrayed is more important than the actual racing. 

The people in charge could see the potential the sport had and are forward thinking and have successfully built on the large attendance figures from the communist era. 

Sadly with the exception of one or two promotions the UK weren't looking forward to build on the standing the sport had here in the 70s and early 80s. To coin an old game show catch phrase 'look at what you could have one' 

• Like 1

I'm guessing speedway on premier sports is budget driven and it probably wouldn't extend to a co commentator so on that basis Dave is doing fine.

On 6/28/2020 at 10:57 AM, iainb said:

From what I've seen so far (on Premier/FreeSports)... there has been some close racing, no more than British Speedway though IMO, there was a close last heat decider last night but ironically the racing wasn't up to much. It's probably the atmosphere that makes it, when the stadiums are full, I watched the footy last night, the first half with "canned laughter" the second half with actual stadium noise and it really was "a game of 2 halves". You can include in the atmosphere, for a TV broadcast at least, the commentator and as with everything else, that's personal opinion... some people on here even watch it with Polish commentary!!! I do feel he's been given a tough job to do on his own... Tonder and lightening did make me laugh out loud though :D

I think the tractor racing Mike is referring to are the track grade/watering breaks which seem to happen for 6 or 7 minutes after every 3 or 4 heats.

I must admit I can't say I'm too keen on the race format in the Polish league, the riders seem to come out in different pairings for every race. This can't lead to great team riding and I wonder if this had anything to do with the Lambert/Lebedevs clash the other night.

Also, from what I've seen on the UK coverage, the riders don't seem to have much personality, with the exception of Leon Madsen who actually turns to the camera and interacts... we often see the back of a riders helmet as he rushes over to the TV to watch how brilliant he's just been :rofl:

Enjoyed yesterday’s 2 matches probably better than anything I have watched in GB recently.Tracks are well prepared and kept decent during meeting.Madsen have fastest time in meeting in Ht 15 yesterday!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Enjoyed yesterday’s 2 matches probably better than anything I have watched in GB recently.Tracks are well prepared and kept decent during meeting.Madsen have fastest time in meeting in Ht 15 yesterday!

Madsen  is like Doyle IMO he has developed a little bit late in his career but that not to say he won't be a world champ ,as has been said is very viewer/fan friendly just what the sport needs .

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FAST GATER said:

Madsen  is like Doyle IMO he has developed a little bit late in his career but that not to say he won't be a world champ ,as has been said is very viewer/fan friendly just what the sport needs .

Madsen is box office in Poland, there are a few British fans blaming Poland’s success for the decline in GB which is nonsense.Poland know how to promote the sport in their country.The huge Companies that Sponsor prove the point. We get Joe Bloggs from round the corner.!!!

1 hour ago, FAST GATER said:

I agree, always thought Leon Madsen comes across very well in interviews. It helps he is also an excellent rider and an inevitable world champion.

Live Polish speedway MIGHT be on Freesports at 5 p.m. on Friday 3rd July.

Edited by Gringo
  • Like 1