British Speedway Forum
a4poster

Polish Speedway on TV

2 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Of course everything in UK is run with military precision.:rolleyes:

What do you do  normally do when the tractor racing is on in UK.

Speak to friends. That's why, for me, nothing compares to live speedway. Watching it on TV doesn't really appeal. Watched a couple of the Polish matches on freesports and can't get excited about it. For me, its all about the social aspect.

• Like 3

Consider an alternative - In track and field sprints, the sport's governing body, the IAAF, has a rule that if the athlete moves within 0.1 seconds AFTER the gun has fired the athlete has false-started. ... The race is stopped and the offending athletes are immediately disqualified.

Why not adapt the starting blocks that athletes use into something that could be used on a speedway track, and have the Start Marshall or his assistants wedge them behind the back wheels of the bikes, and synchronise them with the tape activation. No doubts then, no arguments and no second chances. Mess around and you are out. As Rob McCaffrey says, the exclusion will hit a rider hard in the pocket, making for a pretty good incentive to behave at the tapes.

2 hours ago, uk_martin said:

Consider an alternative - In track and field sprints, the sport's governing body, the IAAF, has a rule that if the athlete moves within 0.1 seconds AFTER the gun has fired the athlete has false-started. ... The race is stopped and the offending athletes are immediately disqualified.

Why not adapt the starting blocks that athletes use into something that could be used on a speedway track, and have the Start Marshall or his assistants wedge them behind the back wheels of the bikes, and synchronise them with the tape activation. No doubts then, no arguments and no second chances. Mess around and you are out. As Rob McCaffrey says, the exclusion will hit a rider hard in the pocket, making for a pretty good incentive to behave at the tapes.

Or if you just see the movement chuck them out, no 15m handicap in Britain. I've watched over 100 meetings online during lockdown and we didn't have the current problems once the tape touching rule was created. It seems to have steadily grown in Britain to the point where it is becoming a major disruption to meetings. You look forward to a race, off they go, on go the red lights and you find something to do for five minutes. Eventually you just want the race over. This wasn't the problem when the first rule was created, so why now? This is one aspect of the sport that the Poles have exactly right. No need for hi-tech, just use the eyes of the ref. Works in Poland.

Edited by RobMcCaffery
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, topsoil said:

Speak to friends. That's why, for me, nothing compares to live speedway. Watching it on TV doesn't really appeal. Watched a couple of the Polish matches on freesports and can't get excited about it. For me, its all about the social aspect.

Nothing beats  Watching live speedway.

• Like 2

I don't really follow Polish speedway, but watch it if it's on Freesports or Box Nation.

Can someone explain Robert Lambert's position in his team for me. He seems to be the equivalent of a number 8, but is by far the best rider in the side. Are they using rider replacement or is this a tactical position?

33 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I don't really follow Polish speedway, but watch it if it's on Freesports or Box Nation.

Can someone explain Robert Lambert's position in his team for me. He seems to be the equivalent of a number 8, but is by far the best rider in the side. Are they using rider replacement or is this a tactical position?

To the best of my knowledge it’s a tactical position. He can be used at any time. While the team’s reserves have to be Polish Under-21s, a number 8 can be a rider of any nationality under the age of 23. So it makes more sense for Rybnik to use him as their number 8 as he is one of their best riders. 

34 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

To the best of my knowledge it’s a tactical position. He can be used at any time. While the team’s reserves have to be Polish Under-21s, a number 8 can be a rider of any nationality under the age of 23. So it makes more sense for Rybnik to use him as their number 8 as he is one of their best riders. 

Thanks.

11 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Thanks.

They are using R/R(ZZ) as well for Lebedevs- but even if they weren’t Lambert would still be at 8. Rybnik have also a problem that there must be 2 Polish riders in the top 5, so that’s another reason for his position.

• Like 1