British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Midland Red

Odsal hopes

I think this could happen but it needs more than 1000/1500 in that place to keep it there. Also, would this be a cheaper venue for the GP? Prob holds around 40. thousand and its a proper track. Must cost a fortune to hire and adapt the Cardiff stadium.

• Haha 1

It's a dump of a stadium compared to Cardiff. 

Given the level of debt WRU has I would question if it actually does cost that much to hire the Principality, chuck in the hospitality options and bespoke packages that can be offered there (Cardiff) that wouldn't be as appealing as Bradford I would seriously doubt the GP will be moved there if this ever even happens. 

It's a stadium I can literally walk to.

It is not in a good state currently and if you think a GP could be held anytime soon there, I would think again.

Still think it will be while before we see bikes around the track competatively , never mind the thoughts of holding a GP there. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, tyke said:

It's a stadium I can literally walk to.

It is not in a good state currently and if you think a GP could be held anytime soon there, I would think again.

Still think it will be while before we see bikes around the track competatively , never mind the thoughts of holding a GP there. 

I live quite near as well, I agree with you. You have also to consider how it died before, despite having the best team in the country, lots of British international riders and lots of space. I suppose if it's run on similar lines to Scunthorpe, where the Stockcars subsidise the bikes, it might be viable but I imagine we can forget Bradford Council pouring shedloads of money into the place (which is what used to happen).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ch958 said:

I think this could happen but it needs more than 1000/1500 in that place to keep it there. Also, would this be a cheaper venue for the GP? Prob holds around 40. thousand and its a proper track. Must cost a fortune to hire and adapt the Cardiff stadium.

NO roof or seating for 40,000

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Midland Red said:

Interesting read.

It seems ridiculous the hospitality areas have been stripped.

Bit worrying, though, that in 1997 Bradford could track a championship-winning team yet struggled at times to attract four-figure crowds. And speedway's profile has slipped a long way during the intervening 23 years.

How good a job did Rees do of promoting speedway at Stoke?

Edited by Piotr Pyszny

38 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

NO roof or seating for 40,000

no but proper speedway and £££ to the sport and not the stadium. I'd rather stand anyway. Saw 2 world finals there, both excellent

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

Interesting read.

It seems ridiculous the hospitality areas have been stripped.

Bit worrying, though, that in 1997 Bradford could track a championship-winning team yet struggled at times to attract four-figure crowds. And speedway's profile has slipped a long way during the intervening 23 years.

How good a job did Rees do of promoting speedway at Stoke?

They had some genuine World Class riders too and still crowds didnt come...

Stox I can see being viable there, as they have lost Cov and will lose BV so makes sense for them to have a track not too far from Manchester and the Midlands..

If Speedway needs to be a part of the venture to be profitable then I am not so sure of it's likely success..

Especially at top division level.. 

Hope, as always though, springs eternal..

8 minutes ago, ch958 said:

anyway why can't we have a second GP? 

We could have an English GP but it would likely be at BV.

6 minutes ago, foamfence said:

We could have an English GP but it would likely be at BV.

thats correct, except Odsal can hold 3 times the crowd

13 minutes ago, mikebv said:

They had some genuine World Class riders too and still crowds didnt come...

Stox I can see being viable there, as they have lost Cov and will lose BV so makes sense for them to have a track not too far from Manchester and the Midlands..

If Speedway needs to be a part of the venture to be profitable then I am not so sure of it's likely success..

Especially at top division level.. 

Hope, as always though, springs eternal..

BriSCA are in trouble for venues. As you say, having lost Coventry they now face losing Belle Vue and have also lost Stoke. I believe that Belle Vue and Stoke are/were the prospective Bradford promoter, Steve Rees' tracks so he personally needs an other track urgently, hence the efforts to re-open Odsal. 

5 minutes ago, ch958 said:

thats correct, except Odsal can hold 3 times the crowd

You wouldn't get it, most people wouldn't go to two.