British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Midland Red

Odsal hopes

3 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I went to the last GP at Odsal in 1997. I think Brian Andersen won it.

Certainly did.

Hamil 2nd, Nilsen 3rd, Loram 4th

13 hours ago, ch958 said:

I think this could happen but it needs more than 1000/1500 in that place to keep it there. Also, would this be a cheaper venue for the GP? Prob holds around 40. thousand and its a proper track. Must cost a fortune to hire and adapt the Cardiff stadium.

What track, there isn't one there?  The stadium is a dump and parts of the terracing has been condemned.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ch958 said:

anyway why can't we have a second GP? 

This has been done to death. The Welsh government provide funding for the Cardiff GP on the basis that it's the only GP in Britain. Whilst there is a GP at Cardiff, there won't be a second GP anywhere else.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Noodles said:

This has been done to death. The Welsh government provide funding for the Cardiff GP on the basis that it's the only GP in Britain. Whilst there is a GP at Cardiff, there won't be a second GP anywhere else.

shame, Sweden have 2. However i wasn't aware that Odsal was run down as much as has been said. As national speedway stadiums go it would have been excellent.

10 hours ago, cityrebel said:

I went to the last GP at Odsal in 1997. I think Brian Andersen won it.

Brian Andersen was a rider who I felt could have gone further but was plagued with a troublesome shoulder (?) which unfortunately restricted his progress. I witnessed at close hand his last couple of years at Cowley and despite showing occasional brilliance he was a shadow of his former self.

Another was his namesake Morton Andersen.

Edited by steve roberts

20 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

NO roof or seating for 40,000

Haven't they got that roof on yet? I thought that was the reason why it closed... at least that was the story we were being fed at the time

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Haven't they got that roof on yet? I thought that was the reason why it closed... at least that was the story we were being fed at the time

The super dome!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Brian Andersen was a rider who I felt could have gone further but was plagued with a troublesome shoulder (?) which unfortunately restricted his progress. I witnessed at close hand his last couple of years at Cowley and despite showing occasional brilliance he was a shadow of his former self.

Another was his namesake Morton Andersen.

"The Axeman" as nobody called him... Except for Peter Yorke:t:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, iainb said:

Rather than not having a roof, Cardiff was chosen because they did. Better financial risk for inclement weather.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, iainb said:

"The Axeman" as nobody called him... Except for Peter Yorke:t:

Yes he also referred to Jens Rasmussen as "Rambo" which I disliked. We preferred just plain 'Razzer!"

• Like 1

Whilst it's good to possibly welcome back past iconic venues like Odsal, Oxford, and who knows, eventually Coventry, isn't there a large elephant in the room? And I don't mean Corovavirus, either. I mean the supply of riders of a suitable standard, to create teams the public will be interested in coming along to see.

4 minutes ago, Hamish McRaker said:

Whilst it's good to possibly welcome back past iconic venues like Odsal, Oxford, and who knows, eventually Coventry, isn't there a large elephant in the room? And I don't mean Corovavirus, either. I mean the supply of riders of a suitable standard, to create teams the public will be interested in coming along to see.

The real "elephant in the rooom" must surely be that it would be more fun to burn your money  in an old oil drum or maybe just have a giant firework display than throw it all away in setting up speedway racing at these iconic venues ( which I greatly enjoyed at,  in the past ). No-one can make speedway pay any more without the bulk of the income to run it coming from major sponsors. Speedway has had it's day in the UK I feel.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 1:25 PM, RobMcCaffery said:

BriSCA are in trouble for venues. As you say, having lost Coventry they now face losing Belle Vue and have also lost Stoke. I believe that Belle Vue and Stoke are/were the prospective Bradford promoter, Steve Rees' tracks so he personally needs an other track urgently, hence the efforts to re-open Odsal. 

Steve Rees runs Startrax, thier tracks 3 years ago were Belle Vue,Coventry (for national bangers, the stocks were run in house by Coventry stox ltd),Sheffield,Stoke.

By the time the racing starts up again he will only have Sheffield. 

Think he is quite open his time at promoting speedway wasnt the greatest sucsess story it could of been, but for those anti Steve, I believe all the drainage and track works at Stoke in 17 or 18 came out of his pocket. 

I did post back in the winter when people where being negative, that Steve Rees could well re open the track if he found someone to take on speedway thier, and I was mocked. But looks like it may well come to fruition...

38 minutes ago, teaboy279 said:

Steve Rees runs Startrax, thier tracks 3 years ago were Belle Vue,Coventry (for national bangers, the stocks were run in house by Coventry stox ltd),Sheffield,Stoke.

By the time the racing starts up again he will only have Sheffield. 

Think he is quite open his time at promoting speedway wasnt the greatest sucsess story it could of been, but for those anti Steve, I believe all the drainage and track works at Stoke in 17 or 18 came out of his pocket. 

I did post back in the winter when people where being negative, that Steve Rees could well re open the track if he found someone to take on speedway thier, and I was mocked. But looks like it may well come to fruition...

'Mocked' by whom? I haven't seen a single reply to your January post.

55 minutes ago, foamfence said:

'Mocked' by whom? I haven't seen a single reply to your January post.

May well of been on another topic, or even FB tbf.