British Speedway Forum

During this time of lock down I've been listening to a lot of excellent Podcasts, where a number of riders have been telling stories of their careers. It's been great listening to some of their anecdotes at length, as opposed to a mid meeting interview, or a PR friendly interview in the Speedway Star.

I don't know if I'm just naive but a thread that seems to run through a lot of them are the shady people and dealings that go on in the sport that a lot of us have no idea about. The Sean Wilson, Rick Miller and Bobby Schwartz podcasts have been very entertaining.

Anyway the ones I've been listening to are provided by:

Humans of Speedway

Tatum & Peason

Talk Speedway

The Speedway Podcast

Are there any others I wonder?

Edited by iainb

hi Iain

As one of the two hosts of Talk Speedway thanks for listening we have great fun doing them and I’d agree that some of the nefarious stories and goings on behind the scenes the guests tell us about you almost wouldn’t believe haha

From an audio point of view I’m not aware of any others, video wise there is the speedway tavern and the speedway chat show on Facebook 

For me as a speedway fan it’s been a small positive to come out of the current situation the amount of content being created. Especially as an avid podcast listener as well I’m really enjoying having speedway content to listen to as well as produce.

• Thanks 1

We seem to be blessed with many good podcasts at the moment and while some seem to have fallen by the way, others have come to the party. 2 that I have listened recently that are worthy of mention feature 2 riders from opposite ends of the Speedway spectrum but both great characters.

Nigel Crabtree on the Super Seven podcast, no heirs and graces, what a great character, the type of character that Speedway sadly misses, a solid top class club man just happy to have some fun, make some money and no particular desire to become a wold champion.

and...

Ole Olsen, I don't think I ever really appreciated what a charismatic man he is/was. Listening to him reminded me a bit of Tony Rickardsson. The story about the trophy he won at Newcastle had me laughing out loud :rofl:

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9hbmNob3IuZm0vcy8yNDg3MzU2MC9wb2RjYXN0L3Jzcw==

Give em a listen

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, iainb said:

We seem to be blessed with many good podcasts at the moment and while some seem to have fallen by the way, others have come to the party. 2 that I have listened recently that are worthy of mention feature 2 riders from opposite ends of the Speedway spectrum but both great characters.

Nigel Crabtree on the Super Seven podcast, no heirs and graces, what a great character, the type of character that Speedway sadly misses, a solid top class club man just happy to have some fun, make some money and no particular desire to become a wold champion.

and...

Ole Olsen, I don't think I ever really appreciated what a charismatic man he is/was. Listening to him reminded me a bit of Tony Rickardsson. The story about the trophy he won at Newcastle had me laughing out loud :rofl:

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9hbmNob3IuZm0vcy8yNDg3MzU2MC9wb2RjYXN0L3Jzcw==

Give em a listen

A great chat with the O O . i was at the Sheffield meeting ( British Scandinavian World Champ Qualifier) &recall that Ole won his first race against 3 other Scandinavian riders. He finished with 5 points that night but he made an impression with me & i followed his progress via the speedway star when he came over to UK to ride at Newcastle. When he moved to the Midlands i was able to watch him regularly. His move to Brandon was "utopia " for me & the coming together of the C O & Ole was a match made in heaven.He is,as you say very charismatic, & I remember being one of the many recipients of a wave from both him and his wife when they passed us  driving down the M6 to wembley  with my Ole Olsen sticker in the rear window. My two youngsters in the back were "made up" they really were the great days of speedway .

• Like 1

No brakes, no fear.. Dont know much about it, just found it on my podcast app.

On 5/17/2021 at 7:29 PM, StElmo said:

No brakes, no fear.. Dont know much about it, just found it on my podcast app.

It's the "official" BSPL podcast... been going a few weeks now

On 6/13/2020 at 12:44 PM, iainb said:

During this time of lock down I've been listening to a lot of excellent Podcasts, where a number of riders have been telling stories of their careers. It's been great listening to some of their anecdotes at length, as opposed to a mid meeting interview, or a PR friendly interview in the Speedway Star.

I don't know if I'm just naive but a thread that seems to run through a lot of them are the shady people and dealings that go on in the sport that a lot of us have no idea about. The Sean Wilson, Rick Miller and Bobby Schwartz podcasts have been very entertaining.

Anyway the ones I've been listening to are provided by:

Humans of Speedway

Tatum & Peason

Talk Speedway

The Speedway Podcast

Are there any others I wonder?

As the speedway scribe John Chaplin once said if you don't want your illusions spoilt remain your side of the fence! My uncle saw money change hands in the pits during a World Championship meeting (a story confirmed by John Berry) and I'm sure it's been going on since the introduction of the sport. I never quite understood all the furore surrounding the Sunday People allegations except the riders in question were foolish/naive to get cosy with, as it turned, investigatory journalists.

Edited by steve roberts

A new chat show is on it's way this Friday at 7pm over on YouTube.  7 x British Champion Scott Nicholls and the verbal wonder from down under Shane 'Childsy' Childs invite their guests to chat about their 'NEED FOR SPEED', along with many other interesting surprises. :D

Click the link below to go to the Speed Freaks YouTube channel, where you can subscribe and ring the bell for all the upcoming notifications.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdtAYxI0LzUruhYVcKroMhw

Follow the Speed Freaks on Instagram for all your information, episode teasers and chat.

https://www.instagram.com/speedfreaks_chat

Brought to you by ATPI.

https://www.atpi.com

I don't really know what happened to the Speedway Podcasts, we used to be quite well looked after in that respect but a lot of them seem to have stopped producing content at the end of last season and just before this season started.

I've stumbled across a couple of new ones:

The Five-1 Speedway Show has some excellent guests on and there are around 36 episodes to listen to 

and 

The Speedway Tavern, which I haven't listened to yet. I seem to remember this already existing but it's only just appeared on Google Podcasts.

Is the Speed Freaks show available on any Podcast providers as audio, or is it video only? If not are there any plans to make the audio available as a podcast?

Just listened to the Olly Allen Five-1 Speedway Show podcast from around a year ago, and while very interesting as usual, I was shocked to hear the joint Team GB manager effing and jeffing his way through the interview. Perhaps he should go on a media relations seminar, similar to the ones Poultec run where I would hope one of the first things it would say is don't go effing and jeffing your way through a (social) media interview when you are the Team GB manager!

Has anybody else listened to Nigel Pearson's review of the season on this week's British Speedway podcast? It's quite comical! Treat yourselves

Not long ago, I listened to David Howe on the Humans Of Speedway podcast. Long but interesting.