British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

The Bee Gees and Speedway in Australia

I am just watching this is your life with the 3 Bee Gee`s. it said that one of their first singing jobs in 1959  was singing from the back of a van at the Brisbane Speedway to the speedway crowd. . Is this  a well known story  ?   Speedway promoter Bill Goode(?) has just been named.

Edited by racers and royals

This was the Redcliffe Showgrounds, rather the the better known Brisbane "Ekka". Bill Goode was a speedcar driver who became promoter at Redcliffe.

While there was some bike action at Redcliffe, I think that is more likely to be cars they were talking about.

1 minute ago, chunky said:

This was the Redcliffe Showgrounds, rather the the better known Brisbane "Ekka". Bill Goode was a speedcar driver who became promoter at Redcliffe.

While there was some bike action at Redcliffe, I think that is more likely to be cars they were talking about.

Thanks Chunky- it was such a surprise when they mentioned Speedway. I must try and find Briggo`s this is your life or was it Ivan ?

Briggo was on it. 1974 i think.

1 hour ago, frigbo said:

Briggo was on it. 1974 i think.

Yes he was caught by surprise during a Wimbledon pre-season practice I seem to remember.

17 hours ago, racers and royals said:

I am just watching this is your life with the 3 Bee Gee`s. it said that one of their first singing jobs in 1959  was singing from the back of a van at the Brisbane Speedway to the speedway crowd. . Is this  a well known story  ?   Speedway promoter Bill Goode(?) has just been named.

Did they do "How deep is your track?" and "5-1 Talkin'"?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, chunky said:

Yes, there was even a "Solo" Australia v England International in 1986......

Just now, andout said:

Yes, there was even a "Solo" Australia v England International in 1986......

That was the only major event I could find there.

On 6/13/2020 at 10:07 PM, steve roberts said:

Yes he was caught by surprise during a Wimbledon pre-season practice I seem to remember.

I remember it well. Eamonn Andrews with his overalls on!

• Like 1

On 6/14/2020 at 3:32 AM, racers and royals said:

This reply is a bit late, but the story is quite well known in the Brisbane area at least, and there's a Bee Gees trail in Redcliffe which is a sort of outer coastal suburb of Brisbane. 

I cycle over to Redcliffe occasionally.