British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

Wayne Jackson R.I.P.

Just heard the news that former Workington and Oxford rider Wayne Jackson has died. Very sad indeed. Remember him well riding as a "Cheetah" and doubling up with Cradley on occasions.

RIP

Edited by steve roberts
  • Sad 2

I remember Wayne riding at Dudley Wood a few times in 1982. Had looked quite promising in a weak Workington side the previous season, hence his signing (not sure if he was a Cradley or Oxford asset), but he never really kicked on. Just checked and he made a comeback for the ill fated Barrow Blackhawks in 1985, don't know if he rode again after that.

Sad news nonetheless, 58 is no age. RIP.

1 minute ago, salty said:

I remember Wayne riding at Dudley Wood a few times in 1982. Had looked quite promising in a weak Workington side the previous season, hence his signing (not sure if he was a Cradley or Oxford asset), but he never really kicked on. Just checked and he made a comeback for the ill fated Barrow Blackhawks in 1985, don't know if he rode again after that.

Sad news nonetheless, 58 is no age. RIP.

I think he was a Cradley asset and loaned out to sister team at the time Oxford. If I remember he started off quite useful at Cowley but I'm sure that he picked up a cartilage (?) injury which impeded his progress and he drifted away from the sport. He did appear in an interview in "Backtrack" a few years back.

I'll have to dig out the Backtrack feature.

Remember him ridingĀ for Castleford in 1979, before he went to Workington the year after

RIP Wayne

• Like 1