British Speedway Forum
Robinh88

Are YOU missing British Speedway?

As we pace through a Speedway free summer (so far) in Great Britain. Are fans missing their weekly/fortnightly fix of methanol badly? Clubs have certainly done their bit, taking a nostalgic look down memory lane. Poland also started at the weekend.

Will the absence of Speedway make the heart grow fonder / Or conversely will it allow people to think twice about attending the Sport in the UK? Money is going to be tighter and some people will lose/have lost their jobs due to the deadly virus.

I would think Speedway will also need to implement things to meet Health and Safety guidelines, as football is doing now to keep all supporters safe from the deadly virus.

We humans are very adaptive beings. I am sure whatever rules are 'enforced', supporters will return with reinvigorated desire to watch Speedway.

Edited by Robinh88

21 minutes ago, Robinh88 said:

As we pace through a Speedway free summer (so far) in Great Britain. Are fans missing their weekly/fortnightly fix of methanol badly? Clubs have certainly done their bit, taking a nostalgic look down memory lane. Poland also started at the weekend.

Will the absence of Speedway make the heart grow fonder / Or conversely will it allow people to think twice about attending the Sport in the UK? Money is going to be tighter and some people will lose/have lost their jobs due to the deadly virus.

I would think Speedway will also need to implement things to meet Health and Safety guidelines, as football is doing now to keep all supporters safe from the deadly virus.

We humans are very adaptive beings. I am sure whatever rules are 'enforced', supporters will return with reinvigorated desire to watch Speedway.

I'm not.

there may be a renewed appetite after the break, something akin to after ww2, you never know

• Like 1

I am missing it YES

Some of the Polish stuff is OK, most of it is poor.

There is no substitute for live Sport.

Personally, I'd rather they start 2021 properly and safely than try to cobble together a crap 2020 6-8 week schedule that will do nothing for the Sport or Supporters and see most Teams lose money they don't have, in less than ideal Autumn weather.

A few Open Meetings would be fine and best I am hoping for. Not sure what crowd figure Clubs could make pay?

Brummies big problem though will be running against PL / CL Matches on TV on Wednesday nights if behind Closed Doors continues for soccer.

• Like 2

To answer the question posed by the OP: No, not really.

However, I do hope that there can be some Speedway this year for the sake of all those Supporters out there who, like me, in those days years ago, were desperate for some action.

I can't say I am to be honest. Companies have stepped up with so many offers of free this and that during lockdown that there's not enough hours in a day as it is. If I wasn't so busy I'd furlough myself so I could take free guitar lessons, learn a language, complete some technical certifications...

20 minutes ago, MattK said:

I can't say I am to be honest. Companies have stepped up with so many offers of free this and that during lockdown that there's not enough hours in a day as it is. If I wasn't so busy I'd furlough myself so I could take free guitar lessons, learn a language, complete some technical certifications...

The disgraceful stance of Peterborough promoter ignoring  enquiries re refund of season ticket money has confirmed my opinion re those who run our sport.

• Like 2

I'm missing British speedway, yes.  Gave the Ben Fund a miss, just got over the flu, still had a cold in der dose, couldn't be bothered "no real sweat there will be loads of other meetings.........".   After a tough few years (no tiny violins please, it happens B)) I made extensive plans for many leisure & hobby activities this year including taking my parents for days out and a promised treat to self; a visit to the NSS at Belle Vue, but so far all have sadly come to naught.  But there are folk worse off, life goes on and hopefully the awful Covid-19 virus will be under control & lockdown will be eased even more soon and we may get to see at least some live speedway this year :D....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling

Yes missing the Abbey action

Only attend FIM events over here nowadays so, no, not really missing domestic UK Speedway in 'the flesh' as it were, but have/will missed/miss the SON, the World U21 and Cardiff..

Missing watching the domestic TV coverage though, (and Sweden), although the plethora of racing on YouTube have been great to watch and Poland is always worth watching..

I'm missing the social side of the sport and the days out. Good racing is a bonus for me these days.

• Like 3

Yes, I can't wait to get back after re-discovering my mojo for Speedway last year following Leicester. My mojo went missing for a while after Coventry closed in 2016. Also can't wait to get back to Peterborough for some proper Speedway

• Like 1

I would say if you go on a regular basis then surely you are missing it .if you don't go it is easy to say I am not

Missing weekend trips to Glasgow, World cup at the NSS and a trip to Cardiff for the GP.