British Speedway Forum
Robinh88

Are YOU missing British Speedway?

Missing my regular dose of live racing. Much confidence in this week's Speedway Star that mid-August will be a realistic start date - similar to Sweden - to give a 10-11 week season.

Fixture formats for various start dates have already been sorted and agreed.  Can't wait personally.

Have missed one trip to see Gdansk v Bydgoszcz last month.. 

Will now miss Wroclav v Leszno on the 28th too.. 

The freesport's meeting at 5pm tomorrow has heen postponed aswell, I hear.. 

In short, yes I am.. 

13 minutes ago, YerRopes said:

Have missed one trip to see Gdansk v Bydgoszcz last month.. 

Will now miss Wroclav v Leszno on the 28th too.. 

The freesport's meeting at 5pm tomorrow has heen postponed aswell, I hear.. 

In short, yes I am.. 

Why has the freesports meet been postponed?

Weather :(

Edited by topaz325

11 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Missing my regular dose of live racing. Much confidence in this week's Speedway Star that mid-August will be a realistic start date - similar to Sweden - to give a 10-11 week season.

Fixture formats for various start dates have already been sorted and agreed.  Can't wait personally.

Can I have some of the medication you are on??

Unless Poole have some top secret funding in tens of thousands how are they going to have weekly meetings with no crowds or with maximum a few hundred allowed in?

2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

I'm missing the social side of the sport and the days out. Good racing is a bonus for me these days.

That's what kept me going for many years...meeting those on the third bend at Cowley. Great Days!

I haven’t been to a meeting since Lakeside closed . With each passing week I miss it less. I was my intention to go to occasional meetings but there are such a bunch of cowboys in charge I don’t feel motivated and have found plenty of other things to do. There must be thousands like me.

Great memories of the sport, but it’s difficult to avoid the conclusion that the great days are gone and won’t be back. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, E I Addio said:

I haven’t been to a meeting since Lakeside closed . With each passing week I miss it less. I was my intention to go to occasional meetings but there are such a bunch of cowboys in charge I don’t feel motivated and have found plenty of other things to do. There must be thousands like me.

Great memories of the sport, but it’s difficult to avoid the conclusion that the great days are gone and won’t be back. 

I would agree...I've just watched two fabulous meetings (1984) involving Oxford at first Reading and then Wimbledon both in the League Cup (commentary by our friend Rob Mac) both meetings which I attended live. Great memories and I wouldn't have missed it for the world!

14 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Why has the freesports meet been postponed?

Weather :(

Yes, weather.. 

Meetings rearranged for Monday and Tuesday, I believe..

Normally I would say not but I was really looking forward to going to Sheffield to see Nikki P

I'd even been offered a  lift there every week for the season.

Was also looking forward to seeing Crump back in action and going to BV now and again 

but that's how it goes!!!!!

56 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

That's what kept me going for many years...meeting those on the third bend at Cowley. Great Days!

I stood there Steve, plenty of times. In the last few seasons i tended to stand at the top of the steps by the starting gate.

• Like 1

I only got to two meetings last year having only missed one Rye House meeting the previous year. I enjoyed my two days on the Isle of Wight and was looking forward to going two or three times this season. As well as missing Speedway, I am also missing my Superstox meetings, guarding on the Mid Hants Railway and going to Country music concerts. 

So Speedway is one of the four things I am missing due to the damn virus. Stay safe and hope for a better future. 

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

I stood there Steve, plenty of times. In the last few seasons i tended to stand at the top of the steps by the starting gate.

I'm guessing that we would have known some of the same faces/characters without mentioning any names?

If you are missing speedway give Virtual Skid ago.... 15 real races with an unknown result.... more great stuff coming too.... I know you will love it.  Already VS1 - 4 available on Speedway Portals Youtube channel

• Like 1

I haven't watched speedway regularly since 2008. Between then and now, I doubt I've seen one meeting per season (after relocating in 2008, the nearest track is more than an hour's drive). However, during lockdown, I took the opportunity to get my records complete and up to date - and bought a few programmes via eBay. Both fired good memories. Now, I'm looking forward to going to speedway, if and when it resumes. I hope it doesn't disappoint (as the most recent two visits did)!

Edited by Piotr Pyszny
  • Like 1