British Speedway Forum
Robinh88

Are YOU missing British Speedway?

How soon before the topic changes from "when will speedway restart" (as the Chairman seems very bullish about August in The Star this week) to which Clubs will restart (as they seem to have an "opt in/out).

Surely the PL can't afford any absentees.

We already know that Glasgow are sitting 2020 out, will any others follow in CL and if so who?

With majority of NL Clubs being "double up" will they have space to run NL too (Newcastle already out on NL) and what about the 3 standalone clubs, will they bother?

Going to be a very interesting few weeks.

I'll nail my colours now and say IF Brummies run I will be there as often as I can, but I'm not sure many can afford or would risk the 10 matches in 3 months scenario that seems to be the intention. Colder/wetter weather and depleted disposable income will be a problem for many Supporters.

I don't want my Club to risk everything on a short season, rather they come to tapes in 2021 with a full 1-7 (which we don't currently have).  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HGould said:

How soon before the topic changes from "when will speedway restart" (as the Chairman seems very bullish about August in The Star this week) to which Clubs will restart (as they seem to have an "opt in/out).

We already know that Glasgow are sitting 2020 out, will any others follow in CL and if so who?

With majority of NL Clubs being "double up" will they have space to run NL too (Newcastle already out on NL) and what about the 3 standalone clubs, will they bother?

I'll nail my colours now and say IF Brummies run I will be there as often as I can, but I'm not sure many can afford or would risk the 10 matches in 3 months scenario that seems to be the intention. Colder/wetter weather and depleted disposable income will be a problem for many Supporters.

I don't want my Club to risk everything on a short season, rather they come to tapes in 2021 with a full 1-7 (which we don't currently have).  

Don't worry, with luck there'll be no speedway and you can reflect in the glory of being 'right'. Shame about everybody else. 

21 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Never liked that one! We never excelled in that competition...the 3TT format was a strange one having to rely on the other two teams taking points off each other whilst the third team sat idly by. If I recall the meeting was run over 18 heats and for 6 of those heats your chosen team didn't take part. 

I used to love the 3TT. I used to watch all 3 clubs regularly though, so maybe that helped.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Never liked that one! We never excelled in that competition...the 3TT format was a strange one having to rely on the other two teams taking points off each other whilst the third team sat idly by. If I recall the meeting was run over 18 heats and for 6 of those heats your chosen team didn't take part. 

Didn't mind the 3TT over an Easter weekend, although the format was a bit incongruous. 

But if you thought that was strange, you should see the 3TT they've devised for cricket in South Africa - where three teams takes turns to bat and bowl against each other for 6 overs at a time; much like the speedway version. :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Don't worry, with luck there'll be no speedway and you can reflect in the glory of being 'right'. Shame about everybody else. 

You forget most people aren't self centred drama queens like you.

It's not a post about being right or wrong it's about what may or may not happen.

I'll be there as often as I can be, will you be at your track?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Just watched a League Cup match between Wimbledon and Oxford (1984) that you commentated on Rob where the "Cheetahs" scored three 5-1's in the last three heats to steal the match! Great stuff! I was there live also at the time.

Edited by steve roberts

4 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Just watched a League Cup match between Wimbledon and Oxford (1984) that you commentated on Rob where the "Cheetahs" scored three 5-1's in the last three heats to steal the match! Great stuff! I was there live also at the time.

So was i, although the Dons turned the table the following night Steve!

10 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Me too! This is what was so great about speedway back then; there were so many of us who would go several nights a week, and you never know who you would see - or where you would see them!

My wife thinks it's crazy that I watch so many different speedway vids on YouTube - and I can say, "I was there!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

Thanks to a match winnig performance by "Rebel" Gordon Kennett I recall!

6 hours ago, steve roberts said:

...and Oxford repeated the feat at King's Lynn later in the same season much to Martin Rogers' "disappointment!!"

Yes, I am missing Speedway and have been hoping since March that there will be Speedway this year.  With the latest rumours that the 2 metre rule may be reduced to 1 metre when the pubs open I see no reason why Speedway meetings can't run, it's an outdoor non contact sport (usually) and supporters can easily social distance on the terraces and can use common sense when using the loos, queuing for chips etc.  Football has started, all be it in empty stadiums and the physio etc were wearing masks and treating injured players on the pitch, my local outdoor food market opened this week and it was packed with shoppers who were certainly were not socially distanced.  It now needs Rob Godfrey etc to put the Speedway case to the appropriate authority and the rest of us who want to see Speedway back to keep our fingers crossed.

Edited by hammer1969
spelling
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, hammer1969 said:

Yes, I am missing Speedway and have been hoping since March that there will be Speedway this year.  With the latest rumours that the 2 metre rule may be reduced to 1 metre when the pubs open I see no reason why Speedway meetings can't run, it's an outdoor non contact sport (usually) and supporters can easily social distance on the terraces and can use common sense when using the loos, queuing for chips etc.  Football has started, all be it in empty stadiums and the physio etc were wearing masks and treating injured players on the pitch, my local outdoor food market opened this week and it was packed with shoppers who were certainly were not socially distanced.  It now needs Rob Godfrey etc to put the Speedway case to the appropriate authority and the rest of us who want to see Speedway back to keep our fingers crossed.

Absolutely. If thousands of people can demonstrate in city centres, go to the beach and visit shops, then surely speedway with it's meagre attendances can prepare to get going again. Social distancing should be easily enforced at most venues.

• Like 1

I admit to missing going to Eastbourne, I liked the side a lot this yr and hope to see them in action worst way at the start of august

On 6/20/2020 at 9:49 AM, HGould said:

Leicester have committed to CL on Saturdays and NL on Wednesdays once the racing starts: if it does!

• Like 1