British Speedway Forum
Robinh88

Are YOU missing British Speedway?

In a word NO, for the first time since the Heathens returned i did not go to a single meeting last season, and the previous season i watched just 1 meeting when we only competing in the National Trophy with a Team made up of borrowed riders.. there was no particular reason for it except to say i had lost interest for a number of reasons.. this after watching Speedway since 1963/64..

do i miss speedway?what is their to miss?walking to derwent park with my sons and grandkids,saying hi to people who are their early like us,standing by the pits chatting to dez the machine examiner who i went to school with and who rode for the comets ,standing listening to the roar of 14 bikes getting that special smell only they make laughing at others putting their hands over ears as they walk past,walking to our special spot on the first corner near the burger van standing with people who like us have stood their for years,being pestered by the grandkids for some money for a burger which they will never eat because they had tea before coming out,clapping and shouting as 2 teams are announced by michael max or hoggy with the tones of john walch in the box,shouting at a well know referee from scotland who once again had got a decision wrong,going home after a look at the track from the pits gate saying hi to chris the pits marshall, telling my mother how well we did or why we didnt win,taking boys home and looking on the pc how other teams had done that  night,going on the forum to see what other comets fans thought about the team that night.YES i do miss my speedway seeing it live from 3rd april 1970 missing work sometimes to get my fix,remembering the girls i took their some still speak to me now a couple dont but their loss eh ,so again  i do miss my speedway its good to go to glasgow, newcastle, redcar. and even edinburgh but its not the same,so if u can go when this is all over DO go or like me and a few more from comets land u might not have some to go back too.HAPPY DAYS.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, HGould said:

Can I have some of the medication you are on??

Unless Poole have some top secret funding in tens of thousands how are they going to have weekly meetings with no crowds or with maximum a few hundred allowed in?

Do try to keep up.  No club will run meetings if there continues to be a ban on crowds. Thats been stated officially.

As long as the social distancing reduces to 1 metre or below by August and/or fans are required to wear face coverings then there shouldn't be a problem for Poole or any other track with decent viewing options on all sides of their respective stadia.

Edited by Skidder1

Missing Swindon winning the league again.  We’ve got used to it.  :D

9 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Do try to keep up.  No club will run meetings if there continues to be a ban on crowds. Thats been stated officially.

As long as the social distancing reduces to 1 metre or below by August and/or fans are required to wear face coverings then there shouldn't be a problem for Poole or any other track with decent viewing options on all sides of their respective stadia.

It's you that needs to wake up.

Your original comment linked social distancing reduction to 1 metre to the commencement of Speedway.

social distancing at 2 metres or 1 metre or back to normal is not the issue that will define when Speedway can re-start.

It will be capacity limits in stadiums.

500 distanced at 2 metres, 1 metre or hugging each other is 500.

whether social distancing is reduced or not is not the issue.

The issue is how many people can congregate together within that social distancing limit.

15 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Missing Swindon winning the league again.  We’ve got used to it.  :D

...only because Reading & Oxford no longer have speedway! Swindon were always having to play catch up when the "Racers" & the "Cheetahs" were competing! :)

As  Daniel Bryan's fans would chant

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...only because Reading & Oxford no longer have speedway! Swindon were always having to play catch up when the "Racers" & the "Cheetahs" were competing! :)

Glad you put them in the correct order Racers then Cheetahs :D

41 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Glad you put them in the correct order Racers then Cheetahs :D

Yes when I recall all the great local derbies between the three teams it's a shame that the "Budgies" are the only ones now in existence. 

2 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Yes when I recall all the great local derbies between the three teams it's a shame that the "Budgies" are the only ones now in existence. 

The Easter 3 team`s were good as well

38 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

The Easter 3 team`s were good as well

Never liked that one! We never excelled in that competition...the 3TT format was a strange one having to rely on the other two teams taking points off each other whilst the third team sat idly by. If I recall the meeting was run over 18 heats and for 6 of those heats your chosen team didn't take part. 

1 minute ago, steve roberts said:

Never liked that one! We never excelled in that competition...the 3TT format was a strange one having to rely on the other two teams taking points off each other whilst the third team sat idly by. If I recall the meeting was run over 18 heats and for 6 of those heats your chosen team didn't take part. 

Think the respective promoters liked the crowds !!;)

• Like 1

Missing my speedway

however I have severe doubts that there will be British Speedway in 2020.

i have watched three polish league matches..... very disappointed in the quality of the racing

Some good races but nothing to write home about

• Like 2

Definitely missing the visits to the Abbey and the Oaktree. Was looking forward to going to Owlerton to tick another track off our list next week.

18 hours ago, Gunner85 said:

I have watched three polish league matches..... very disappointed in the quality of the racing

Some good races but nothing to write home about

Doesn't that sum up speedway in the whole these days.