British Speedway Forum
Robinh88

Are YOU missing British Speedway?

12 hours ago, hammer1969 said:

Yes, I am missing Speedway and have been hoping since March that there will be Speedway this year.  With the latest rumours that the 2 metre rule may be reduced to 1 metre when the pubs open I see no reason why Speedway meetings can't run, it's an outdoor non contact sport (usually) and supporters can easily social distance on the terraces and can use common sense when using the loos, queuing for chips etc.  Football has started, all be it in empty stadiums and the physio etc were wearing masks and treating injured players on the pitch, my local outdoor food market opened this week and it was packed with shoppers who were certainly were not socially distanced.  It now needs Rob Godfrey etc to put the Speedway case to the appropriate authority and the rest of us who want to see Speedway back to keep our fingers crossed.

In case you haven't read this week's Speedway Star I think you'll find that Rob Godfrey is already ahead with the appropriate lobbying to and by those in Government authority.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Skodaman said:

Leicester have committed to CL on Saturdays and NL on Wednesdays once the racing starts: if it does!

Good news re Leicester although they do have track access options some others sadly don't have.

Not as much as I thought I might. 

Probably only go 5-6 times a season nowadays anyway and find it harder and harder to get that ‘buzz’ each year to want to go. Lucky enough to have in laws in Manchester so go to the NSS when I can but in terms of going to Lynn it all feels a bit flat nowadays which is a great shame. Many reasons for this and I can’t ever see it being much different to be honest. I hope for people like Trees that I’m wrong though. 

• Thanks 1

Yes, seriously missing it and will attend any meetings put on at Newcastle

3 hours ago, Oafski said:

To be honest I would rather go and watch Grass Track now.

I watch both.

The country will soon be back in lockdown restrictions within a few weeks as the ignorant sun chasing beach visitors and now the football fans keep ignoring the advice and turning up on mass with little social distancing  it will have a knock on effect for any form of motorsport that will be judged on peoples actions elsewhere. 

• Like 1

Well its mostly being highlighted down in Bournemouth so at least that's close enough that we can all blame Poole as usual :);)

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

The country will soon be back in lockdown restrictions within a few weeks as the ignorant sun chasing beach visitors and now the football fans keep ignoring the advice and turning up on mass with little social distancing  it will have a knock on effect for any form of motorsport that will be judged on peoples actions elsewhere. 

They've been saying that for weeks though and it hasn't happened as yet, however, Sir Patrick Vallance and the chief medical officer for England Professor Chris Whitty stressed Mr Johnson's plan was not "risk-free" at Tuesday's final briefing. And health leaders added "While the future shape of the pandemic in the UK is hard to predict, the available evidence indicates that local flare-ups are increasingly likely and a second wave a real risk"

To answer the question, yes I'm missing it. Peterborough Speedway is a great place and provides great racing when management are not chasing track records that just serves up follow the leader tripe. Slow the track down, it's not rocket science! I wasn't intending attend much anyway in 2020, if at all, due to the club's treatment of their disabled supporters. I'll certainly not be attending a very unlikely shortened season starting as summer is ending unless Pratt and co reverse that decision, which they will not because they are thick skinned, so hopefully they don't complain about the losses that they happy to be keen to increase.

The next time Liverpool play at Anfield the surrounding areas will be full of idiots thinking its more important to be there than helping to protect lives and everyone nationwide could end up suffering in the long run, those at Bournemouth were all over the news for there actions  but those at Liverpool last night as shown on the news it seems were ok to be there.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

The next time Liverpool play at Anfield the surrounding areas will be full of idiots thinking its more important to be there than helping to protect lives and everyone nationwide could end up suffering in the long run, those at Bournemouth were all over the news for there actions  but those at Liverpool last night as shown on the news it seems were ok to be there.

Ahhhhh, you see that's different...:rolleyes:

Their special..

And it won't be their fault anyway... -_-

a positive way of looking at all these gatherings on beaches etc is that there have been no 2nd peak, and if we don't have it by say august then I very much doubt there will be a 2nd peak meaning we may get back to some kind of normal sooner rather than later 

Yes and No.

Reading the letter my wife received the other day from the Government (She falls into the shielding category), realistically it won't be possible for her to attend speedway in August, if it stats then, which rules me out too.
We can talk about sports stadiums putting in 1-metre guidance rules in place, which on paper isn't a problem, but in practice it is.
In the case of speedway, there are only two stadiums she visits regularly with me, those being Mildenhall & Peterborough.
We've now wouldn’t be able to go to the latter, because of the Blue Badge System, that’s now in place.

Mildenhall would still be a good chance for her to see some speedway, but I think we all know from places like supermarkets for example, that once folk are in store, it's a general free for all. So whilst in the case of her going to speedway, to ensure that 1-metre distance was observed by everybody, it would need a lot of stewards to ensure that happened, which of course isn't practical. In my wife's case, for medical reasons, she's not allowed to sit in the sun, and because of mobility issues, that just restricts her to the 1st/2nd bend area, which is our chosen location anyway at this particular venue.

What of sports stadiums with grandstands? I sit in one seat, but the seats either side of me must remain empty, which is easy done, but what when people want to keep coming in an out for various reasons?
What about the row in front of the one you're sitting in, most stadiums in every sport, you're knees are usually touching either the seat or the person in front of you, so to my mind that isn't workable either.

What of the cleanliness and safety of toilets in stadiums?

These are just my own opinions, and I'm sure many will disagree with them, and that of course is your right, but I just don't see how sport can start up with any real degree of safety still, as much as I'd love it to, as like everybody, I'm missing it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mikebv said:

Ahhhhh, you see that's different...:rolleyes:

Their special..

And it won't be their fault anyway... -_-

As long as they have a banner with BLM no one will bother them !

• Like 3

2 hours ago, geoff100 said:

As long as they have a banner with BLM no one will bother them !

You do know it means Bless Liverpool Man!!!!

• Like 1