Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

World U 21 team championship ( DMSJ) 2020 Final Outrup Denmark Saturday September 5th

1 minute ago, Fromafar said:

It really puts into perspective where we really are regarding young talent, without  Bewlays 17 points we really were not at the races.The Danes have some talent coming through again though.These foreign youngsters will not even contemplate riding in GB nowadays though.The Brits will struggle to get a decent level if they don't get  the opportunities to ride against these guys abroad.

I think a lot of our talent is in the younger ages ranges.

In four years time, the Danes and Poles might be bemoaning their inability to live with Jordan Palin, the Thompson Twins and Archie Freeman ;)

1 minute ago, lucifer sam said:

I think a lot of our talent is in the younger ages ranges.

In four years time, the Danes and Poles might be bemoaning their inability to live with Jordan Palin, the Thompson Twins and Archie Freeman ;)

Wishful thinking,no disrespect to the GB youngsters but there is only a couple of years between all this talent at U/21 level.Its decent competition our guys need.;)

Just now, Fromafar said:

Wishful thinking,no disrespect to the GB youngsters but there is only a couple of years between all this talent at U/21 level.Its decent competition our guys need.;)

Well, we do seem to be entering all the Under-21 and Under-19 comps.  It would be nice to see a few Under-21 test matches as well. 

The poles do so much racing at junior level, but i bet they would quite happily host a British under 21 touring party. Surely worth the BSPA asking the question, with so many riders sat on thier arses.

• Like 2

One thing to consider is the poles are absolutely  race fit , practice is all well and good but the english lads have had no racing, bewley and a fit brennan can hold their own i feel.

The less said about the track the better.

• Like 1

Typical FIM when it rains, a tendency to get it on regardless. In their defence with travel so hard under Covid 19 Restrictions probably got tight timescales to get 3 away nations away safe on booked transport.

Certainly think we did well and some of the criticism is very unfair.

Lets see what Poles could do in UK, play the game though and don't ride on a big track, give them something technical.

Seems every meeting is going to Scunthorpe though anyway - Godfreys mecca!

11 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

The poles do so much racing at junior level, but i bet they would quite happily host a British under 21 touring party. Surely worth the BSPA asking the question, with so many riders sat on thier arses.

Team GB / Team GB Academy and Young Lions are largely autonomous these days and it is linked closely with ATPI so quite possible some U21 Fixtures will be arranged next season home and away I'd have thought.

Travel in Europe still very difficult, quarantine regulations in UK a nightmare, so likely everyone will have to wait until 2021.

Certainly we have a good crop of talent coming through to get out there and get experience.

With regards to the track. They did say it looks good after the word/ during practice !!! But I remember before one league meeting years ago it looked like a field about 90 minutes before the meeting started and even after work was done Nicki went out and shook his head after inspecting it 

59 minutes ago, The Cheese said:

Anders Rowe not selected or is that down to him being in Poland and quarantine rules etc?

Strange Poles can ride and others in PL have ridden who are not Poles with apparently no quarantine.

So they must have picked what they thought were best 5 available and who have made themselves available in past few months and not declined chances.

1 hour ago, The Cheese said:

Anders Rowe not selected or is that down to him being in Poland and quarantine rules etc?

Anders Rowe was selected but chose his Polish team ahead of GB. I think some people were disappointed with his decision but the days of riders having pride racing for their country seem to be passed. He’s earning decent money in Poland and decided that’s where his loyalties lay. 

17 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

How much?

7 hours ago, Wee Eck said:

Anders Rowe was selected but chose his Polish team ahead of GB. I think some people were disappointed with his decision but the days of riders having pride racing for their country seem to be passed. He’s earning decent money in Poland and decided that’s where his loyalties lay. 

I think he covered this on the speedway tavern, that the journey (without delays) was not possible.

I doubt very much he is earning anything out there as well. Whilst pay per point will be higher, he and his mechanic (his dad) have had to move to a country they don't speak the language and start from scratch. And I bet whilst they are having to fund this investment in Anders long term career, the bills back home in the UK haven't stopped.

In his kent days I spent a lot of time watching Anders and Del, and there isn't many harder working duos out there. And the GB recognition meant so much to anders and his family. So I bet he was as gutted or disappointed as anyone else that he could nt ride.

I may be biased but I feel what Anders has done is what many young brits have needed to do in the past. I cant help think that so many aussies are ahead of our brits because they have to leave home and then its very much sink or swim.  OK the distance is not so great but the jump Anders has made in many ways is bigger. The aussies have the instant advantage when they reach the UK that they speak the lingo. I dare say when anders arrived he didn't even know how to order dinner!.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

I dare say when anders arrived he didn't even know how to order dinner!.

Big Mac is understood in any language :D

• Haha 1