British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

Ivan Mauger - Blue Plaque?

Apparently there's a discussion about placing a Blue Plaque on the one-time residence of Ivan Mauger when he was based in Cheshire during his time in Britain? Would be great if it came about and a first for speedway!

Don't you have to be dead 20 years ? Be a bit of a wait

29 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Don't you have to be dead 20 years ? Be a bit of a wait

Only in London. Outside London, different Councils have different rules. It depends what Cheshire's rules are.

Edited by norbold
  • Like 2

Nice idea, the area has changed a fair bit since Ivan lived there, right opposite his house was British Aerospace Woodford, then known as AVRO, it's now a housing estate, although there is still a visitor centre/museum of sorts dedicated to the former industry giants.   Ivan's old house is still there, so a plaque would have a home.

• Like 1

Great idea Steve-about how long did Ivan live there??

49 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

Great idea Steve-about how long did Ivan live there??

Not sure but apparently it was on teletext (which I no longer have and haven't for many a long year) but the story was featured in the Manchester Evening News and Stockport Council apparently wish to proceed with it  and have it placed in Chester Road, Woodford where Ivan once lived before moving to Bramhall which is good news indeed.

Story was in the Speedway Star last week.

House is in Bramhall, Cheshire under the control of Stockport Council and it says he moved there in 1971 and it was the family's last home before he left to go back initially to New Zealnd in 1987. Says he is the second rider to be honoured in such manner, after Jack Parker in Rugby. However, Harry Weslake also has a plaque in Exeter.

The article, by Peter Oakes, says it's a done deal, quoting a council spokesman with a planned unveiling in 2021.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, salty said:

Story was in the Speedway Star last week.

House is in Bramhall, Cheshire under the control of Stockport Council and it says he moved there in 1971 and it was the family's last home before he left to go back initially to New Zealnd in 1987. Says he is the second rider to be honoured in such manner, after Jack Parker in Rugby. However, Harry Weslake also has a plaque in Exeter.

The article, by Peter Oakes, says it's a done deal, quoting a council spokesman with a planned unveiling in 2021.

According to everything I've seen, it is most certainly a done deal.

However, according to the Stockport.gov website, it is not his house in Bramhall. As Steve said, it is the one in Chester Rd in Woodford. Looking at different articles, there are some discrepancies - certainly as far as timelines - but the Stockport website lists the exact address.

• Like 1

Address in the Star is quoted as 446, Chester Road, Bramhall.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, salty said:

Address in the Star is quoted as 446, Chester Road, Bramhall.

That's exactly what I mean! 446 Chester Road is the correct address, but it is listed as Woodford. However, I did find one reference to the postcode being "Bramhall South and Woodford". I also found an article stating that Ivan lived in Bramhall for a while, in addition to living in Chester Road.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, andout said:

On the WSRA site....

Fabulous!

Excellent idea.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, norbold said:

Only in London. Outside London, different Councils have different rules. It depends what Cheshire's rules are.

I didn't actually realise that there was an official scheme and other schemes

5 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I didn't actually realise that there was an official scheme and other schemes

Yes, Blue Plaques in London are organised by English Heritage. Outside London, it's every council for itself!