British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
martinmauger

Oh Boy It's Speedway Tonite !

.......as probably thought by less than 10% of the local population of the Boulevard area in 1971-81.  Everyone in Hull would at that time have been aware 'something' was happening on Wednesday nites thanks to open-piped JAPs & JAWAs up until about 1976 when silencers were first introduced.  Speaking to people, very few worked out exactly what 'that glorious noise' was, being a wee boy I certainly had no idea.  Ian Thomas did blooming well gaining planning permission at that time, there'd be no chance today, and many people are extremely pleased that he did.  In later years, 1980 or so, many of those houses were demolished, thereby depriving folk of 'that Wednesday nite experience', the Boulevard itself was demolished in 2010 or os....

Boulevard Aerial.jpg

Edited by martinmauger
Increased possible local resdent fanboyism (10%)
  • Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 2:14 AM, martinmauger said:

.......as probably thought by less than 10% of the local population of the Boulevard area in 1971-81.  Everyone in Hull would at that time have been aware 'something' was happening on Wednesday nites thanks to open-piped JAPs & JAWAs up until about 1976 when silencers were first introduced.  Speaking to people, very few worked out exactly what 'that glorious noise' was, being a wee boy I certainly had no idea.  Ian Thomas did blooming well gaining planning permission at that time, there'd be no chance today, and many people are extremely pleased that he did.  In later years, 1980 or so, many of those houses were demolished, thereby depriving folk of 'that Wednesday nite experience', the Boulevard itself was demolished in 2010 or os....

Boulevard Aerial.jpg

I saw Wimbledon there twice. A bit on the narrow side!

10 hours ago, cityrebel said:

That was the first thing that struck me, and when you watch videos on YouTube, you can really see it...

3 hours ago, chunky said:

That was the first thing that struck me, and when you watch videos on YouTube, you can really see it...

Steve, was you on the Wimbledon coach, that went to Hull on royal wedding day in 1981.

9 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Steve, was you on the Wimbledon coach, that went to Hull on royal wedding day in 1981.

We were talking about that on here recently! Yep, I was on that...

23 hours ago, cityrebel said:

The bends were ok but it was defo a tad (a tad?!) skinny on the straights, inevetable when stadium-sharing.  Without being over-defensive what surprised me when I was old enough to be allowed to travel to away fixtures, and saw other tracks on TV or video, was quite a few others weren't a lot wider.  Like Eastbourne, Oxford, Sheffield (though I think it was altered at some point), Peterbrough I couldn't believe how narrow it was when I first went in 1987, it was defo widened in 1996 or so, Poole also pre-1996.   Joe Screen once told me Hull, Craven Park wasn't narrow as such, though it could also have done with a few more feet, but it was relatively narrow for the length of the straights.  But, yeah many tracks tracks could use a few more feet if possible, like Berwick recently did, but have to make the best of what room they have.  'It is what it is'....

Edited by martinmauger
hopefully improved grammar

Hull straights was NOT legal! but a master stroke by Ian Thomas 

1 hour ago, martinmauger said:

The bends were ok but it was defo a tad (a tad?!) skinny on the straights, inevetable when stadium-sharing.  Without being over-defensive what surprised me when I was old enough to be allowed to travel to away fixtures, and saw other tracks on TV or video, was quite a few others weren't a lot wider.  Like Eastbourne, Oxford, Sheffield (though I think it was altered at some point), Peterbrough I couldn't believe how narrow it was when I first went in 1987, it was defo widened in 1996 or so, Poole also pre-1996.   Joe Screen once told me Hull, Craven Park wasn't narrow as such, though it could also have done with a few more feet, but it was relatively narrow for the length of the straights.  But, yeah many tracks tracks could use a few more feet if possible, like Berwick recently did, but have to make the best of what room they have.  'It is what it is'....

Romford, Newport Somerton Park and Glasgow Craighead Park were three more tight tracks that i attended in my younger years!

If you wanted narrow you went to Romford. The handlebars of the all the riders were touching each other at the start!

On 6/23/2020 at 5:08 AM, cityrebel said:

Those were the days when speedway fans went on jolly people outings but not to Margate

7 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

Those were the days when speedway fans went on jolly people outings but not to Margate

Edinburgh bus did when down for Canterbury meeting!

8 hours ago, edmon said:

Edinburgh bus did when down for Canterbury meeting!

Hope the radio on the bus wasnt a Del boy job , fans would travel for miles in the country on a coach to watch there team now they struggle to travel to there local track shows how times have changed, liked my trips to Powderhall, fry up at a greasey spoon corner cafe near the track watching the fag ash fall in your food as its cooked, before spending the meeting smelling the ice cream factory i think it was near the track.

Edited by scoobydoo

Recall one away coach trip, to either 'the' 1979 League Decider at Coventry or 1981 World Final at Wembley, several coaches set off from Hull; 1 broke down all passengers were spread across the other coaches some sitting in the centre aisle (!), another coach, mine, one of the centre roof air vents blew off, meant everyone was absolutely feezing, but it was replaced at the meeting so a bit warmer trip home.  I hated, and still hate, actual coach travel, but had great speedway away days, having a laugh with other team's fans and one occasion a car park football match; Vikings against a Scunny select team.  What fun we had back then....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling

In the late 60's as a kid watchin the falcons  ..school allowing went to a.few.away match's. Poole Swindon ect    My dad had a Morris travelller.  But some of his mates.had  fiats and we'd always went in them and  for the time they  FLEW a ton Plus. For a school boy att it was an added buzz after a.nights racing..