British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ruckerroo

2m rule scrapped from july 4th to 1m

54 minutes ago, HertsRacer said:

Not so easy. Friend of mine who runs a pub showed me the list (46 pages) issued after the announcement of the reduction as to things he will have to do in order to open. Mind boggling.  Cant see any promoter or stadium owner having the cash to make tracks Covid safe for spectators.

Again it has some relevance but a pub is an indoor facility with a single point of reference (the bar) and limited circulation space. Speedway stadia are outdoor spaces - potentially the bars and any behind glass hospitality could be a problem area.

Berwick's Shielfield Park could be limited to 25 per cent of its capacity but that would still allow 1,200 or so into the stadium with 400 plus seats. Problem areas are likely to be the entrances, loos and food outlets. Potential solutions are one-way systems and effective stewarding. It would be nice to see people's commonsense come into the equation but better to plan for a lack of it.

It would not be what people were used to pre-covid but - and supermarkets are an example - hundreds of people can gather in safety within an current environment that can be adapted with relative ease, albeit at some expense and requiring hard work and a will to make it happen. 

• Like 3

On 6/23/2020 at 6:34 PM, Skidder1 said:

Wait for the next announcement. Speedway is aiming for mid-August. See the Stewart Dickson interview on Speedwaygb.co.uk

Not sure how ‘in the know’ or knowledgable Dickson is but I think this is just misleading blustering and wishful thinking. He’s in a dream or should I say a nightmare and talking nonsense.

Live sport, including speedway, with spectators attending is way way off and certainly will not be in the next month or so.

Even when it is allowed, which will not be until a vaccine treating the virus is found or the spread of the pandemic has drastically improved, and considering the age demographic of supporters, many will not attend as they will not feel comfortable in crowds and many will have got out of the habit of going to speedway. 

The economic situation is a complete disaster, the UK is now plunging into a deep recession, just look at the news every day, with lots of businesses collapsing or on the brink of going bust, millions being made redundant and joining the massive list of unemployed, I fear many speedway clubs will go to the wall.

This is not doom and gloom but sadly reality!  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Interesting question as to who is responsible for ensuring social distancing (and its cost) for speedway in stadia owned by other landlords?!

Technically it would by the H&S depts of local authorities, acting in accordance with government policy. 

4 hours ago, George Dodds said:

Again it has some relevance but a pub is an indoor facility with a single point of reference (the bar) and limited circulation space. Speedway stadia are outdoor spaces - potentially the bars and any behind glass hospitality could be a problem area.

Berwick's Shielfield Park could be limited to 25 per cent of its capacity but that would still allow 1,200 or so into the stadium with 400 plus seats. Problem areas are likely to be the entrances, loos and food outlets. Potential solutions are one-way systems and effective stewarding. It would be nice to see people's commonsense come into the equation but better to plan for a lack of it.

It would not be what people were used to pre-covid but - and supermarkets are an example - hundreds of people can gather in safety within an current environment that can be adapted with relative ease, albeit at some expense and requiring hard work and a will to make it happen. 

It seems in all your articles your are the only one with common sense:rolleyes:

Feel for small businesses with little or no income the last 3 months, know a few owners who are seriously worried about becoming bankrupt.  Just hope when people are able to move around a bit more freely they don't decide the play the 'how many peeps can be crammed into a Mini or Smart Car for charidy' type of game like they did the other week when more shops re-opened....

Edited by martinmauger
added cinicism or sarcasm

4 hours ago, Fromafar said:

It seems in all your articles your are the only one with common sense:rolleyes:

a frightening scenario :)

• Haha 2

For me personally, going to my local speedway track is no more of a risk than queuing up at a local supermarket, or going into work. It could happen with the right precautions and restrictions in place. Getting the permission to start up again though, is a different matter entirely.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

We still have a 14 day quarantine for people flying into the country. Rules out any riders living overseas.

I believe elite sports people are exempt from quarantine. So that still rules out Poole.

Bmmm tschhh.

Can you imagine the uproar if speedway clubs are forced to record the contract details of those attending meetings? They have resolutely resisted any kind of marketing for the last twenty years and now it could be introduced via the back door.

Reading the letter my wife received yesterday morning from the Government (She falls into the shielding category), realistically it won't be possible for her to attend speedway in August, which rules me out too.
We can talk about sports stadiums putting in 1-metre guidance rules in place, which on paper isn't a problem, but in practice it is.
In the case of speedway, there are only two stadiums she visits regularly with me, those being Mildenhall & Peterborough.
We've now wouldn’t be able to go to the latter, because of the Blue Badge System, thats now in place.

Mildenhall would still be a good chance for her to see some speedway, but I think we all know from places like supermarkets for example, that once folk are in store, it's a general free for all. So whilst in the case of her going to speedway, to ensure that 1-metre distance was observed by everybody, it would need a lot of stewards to ensure that happened, which of course isn't practical. In my wife's case, for medical reasons, she's not allowed to sit in the sun, and because of mobility issues, that just restricts her to the 1st/2nd bend area, which is our chosen location anyway at this particular venue.

What of sports stadiums with grandstands? I sit in one seat, but the seats either side of me must remain empty, which is easy done, but what when people want to keep coming in an out for various reasons?
What about the row in front of the one you're sitting in, most stadiums in every sport, you're knees are usually touching either the seat or the person in front of you, so to my mind that isn't workable either.

What of the cleanliness and safety of toilets in stadiums?

These are just my own opinions, and I'm sure many will disagree with them, and that of course is your right, but I just don't see how sport can start up with any real degree of safety still, as much as I'd love it to, as like everybody, I'm missing it.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Speedtiger said:

Not sure how ‘in the know’ or knowledgable Dickson is but I think this is just misleading blustering and wishful thinking. He’s in a dream or should I say a nightmare and talking nonsense.

Live sport, including speedway, with spectators attending is way way off and certainly will not be in the next month or so.

Even when it is allowed, which will not be until a vaccine treating the virus is found or the spread of the pandemic has drastically improved, and considering the age demographic of supporters, many will not attend as they will not feel comfortable in crowds and many will have got out of the habit of going to speedway. 

The economic situation is a complete disaster, the UK is now plunging into a deep recession, just look at the news every day, with lots of businesses collapsing or on the brink of going bust, millions being made redundant and joining the massive list of unemployed, I fear many speedway clubs will go to the wall.

This is not doom and gloom but sadly reality!  

Is Stewart Dickson also not on BSPA Committee? If so he surely would be up to speed with progress.

Plenty Doom and Gloom you right but at least we dont have to listen to any now on the daily BBC update thing at 4.30pm

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Catch Me If You Can said:

Is Stewart Dickson also not on BSPA Committee? If so he surely would be up to speed with progress.

Plenty Doom and Gloom you right but at least we dont have to listen to any now on the daily BBC update thing at 4.30pm

TBH I don’t think the BSPA clueless clowns and Mr Dickson know what day of the week it is!

16 hours ago, HertsRacer said:

Not so easy. Friend of mine who runs a pub showed me the list (46 pages) issued after the announcement of the reduction as to things he will have to do in order to open. Mind boggling.  Cant see any promoter or stadium owner having the cash to make tracks Covid safe for spectators.

The spectators shouldn't be on the tracks!!!

Edited by Skodaman
Spelling

Damien Bates BSPL Vice-Chair is speaking in similar vein to Stuart Dickson in his interview with Nigel Pearson on Speedwaygb.co.uk.

Edited by Skidder1

Stadiums will be open from September at the latest, or else leagues 1 and 2 in football wont exist