British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ruckerroo

2m rule scrapped from july 4th to 1m

On reading a tweet from hove greyhound stadiums it looks like all stadia are licenced via the sports ground safety authority. It looks like possibly owners of greyhounds and horses may be able to attend from july 4 and some sort of crowd allowed around a month or so after .

Its a bit demoralising to see the public 40 deep at bournemouth beach flouting SD rules mind you

• Like 2

All Stadiums are Licensed and those that share Speedway with Greyhounds (like Brummies) may have a bit of an advantage in seeing what's being planned for the Dogs.

It is a big step though from letting in a few Dog Owners in a carefully managed environment and may be the few dozen who attend BAGS and few hundred who may enjoy the fine Dining experience at Perry Barr Dogs/ Monmore Green Dogs on an Evening as an example, as these are smaller numbers and in the case of Dining subject to social distancing at Tables etc, that is easier to police than on the terraces.

I think that any easing for general spectators may come just that bit too late for Speedway in 2020 which is a shame. I hope as always that I'm wrong but it just feels to me time will beat us.

At least those shared Dog / Speedway venues have no excuse for not being on the ball and ready though for 2020 or more likely 2021.

2 hours ago, Catch Me If You Can said:

Is Stewart Dickson also not on BSPA Committee? If so he surely would be up to speed with progress.

Plenty Doom and Gloom you right but at least we dont have to listen to any now on the daily BBC update thing at 4.30pm

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Damien Bates BSPL Vice-Chair is speaking in similar vein to Stuart Dickson in his interview with Nigel Pearson on Speedwaygb.co.uk.

Or are they just "toeing the party line"? 

Glasgow are the only club (so far) to put their heads above the parapet and say how it really is (for them) and I still reckon there could be more to follow.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Speedtiger said:

TBH I don’t think the BSPA clueless clowns and Mr Dickson know what day of the week it is!

I rather think they know a good bit more than you, mate... 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

I rather think they know a good bit more than you, mate... 

...maybe but I’m being realistic, so we will see....!

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

Or are they just "toeing the party line"? 

Glasgow are the only club (so far) to put their heads above the parapet and say how it really is (for them) and I still reckon there could be more to follow.

Glasgow correctly identified their double problem of having almost the whole team living overseas and their stadium (while very well-appointed) being very compact, meaning social distancing would make it impossible to admit a paying audience. 

This may also be true at other stadia, while others again might, indeed will, be able to run to a worthwhile, socially-distanced crowd. 

11 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

Glasgow correctly identified their double problem of having almost the whole team living overseas and their stadium (while very well-appointed) being very compact, meaning social distancing would make it impossible to admit a paying audience. 

This may also be true at other stadia, while others again might, indeed will, be able to run to a worthwhile, socially-distanced crowd. 

This maybe true, but based on attendances at most tracks they need their normal crowds to turn out just to be financially viable, depend what kind of meetings they are running and what riders will be available for some clubs .I can think of a few tracks that have the same problem as Glasgow regarding paying audience .Interesting to see if a short season can return decent attendances.

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

This maybe true, but based on attendances at most tracks they need their normal crowds to turn out just to be financially viable, depend what kind of meetings they are running and what riders will be available for some clubs .I can think of a few tracks that have the same problem as Glasgow regarding paying audience .Interesting to see if a short season can return decent attendances.

and at most stadiums the normal crowd is a relatively small proportion of the potential capacity. One thing that has to be accepted is that there may have to be different mindsets from promoters and spectators to make things happen. And there may be some who cannot attend or a fearful of finding themselves among crowds. That's a real shame ... but not necessarily a reason not to try.  

4 hours ago, The Third Man said:

Stadiums will be open from September at the latest, or else leagues 1 and 2 in football wont exist

Absolutely. My mate at the FA told me, September is the date they are looking at for having fans inside the stadiums. Fingers crossed that the infections have reduced enough for it to happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Some tracks will try to run a few meetings, others will pull the plug on this year. It's going to be horses for courses, if it gets going.

1 hour ago, George Dodds said:

and at most stadiums the normal crowd is a relatively small proportion of the potential capacity. One thing that has to be accepted is that there may have to be different mindsets from promoters and spectators to make things happen. And there may be some who cannot attend or a fearful of finding themselves among crowds. That's a real shame ... but not necessarily a reason not to try.  

Once the social distancing is reduced I would agree ,but there are a number of Stadiums with relatively small capacity but like you say their normal crowds are in the hundreds(how many do they need to be financially viable). I think your last sentence sums up what might be the case though.Will they risk watching Speedway in detriment too their health and mental state, their financial situation might have changed in this situation.

Every club will have its own challenges to overcome should speedway be allowed to start with crowds in August.  Similarly each club will be working to its own budget and bottom line, so should know how many paying customers would be required to make it viable.  If a club has covered all its match-day costs by sponsorship and advertising then only a small number of fans would be sufficient.

Sadly nothing I have seen from the UK speedway "management" amounts to anything but HOPE to run  UK speedway in 2020 .  They also appear to exhibit a great deal of FAITH, what is missing is CHARITY.

Not one proposal about how they intend to operate a safe environment for spectators has been seen by me ......it certainly CANNOT be business as usual by the "hoped for" start date of August. No idea what sort of meaningful league programme they intend to run starting in August when they struggle to complete fixtures when they start in March.

Would be interesting if Speedway Star could run some interviews with track promoters asking them some direct questions about the provisions they will be making to support spectator safety in their stadia for their hoped for start date in August  ???

4 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Sadly nothing I have seen from the UK speedway "management" amounts to anything but HOPE to run  UK speedway in 2020 .  They also appear to exhibit a great deal of FAITH, what is missing is CHARITY.

Not one proposal about how they intend to operate a safe environment for spectators has been seen by me ......it certainly CANNOT be business as usual by the "hoped for" start date of August. No idea what sort of meaningful league programme they intend to run starting in August when they struggle to complete fixtures when they start in March.

Would be interesting if Speedway Star could run some interviews with track promoters asking them some direct questions about the provisions they will be making to support spectator safety in their stadia for their hoped for start date in August  ???

but how can they have anything but hope? At the moment it would be illegal to stage a speedway meeting in front of a paying public. For that to be possible it needs a number of decisions to be made by politicians at a high level. Once those decisions are made stadium owners and promoters will know what has to be in place before the public can be admitted to the stadiums. Then they can tell those planning to turn up at the meetings what they have to do to make that happen.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, George Dodds said:

but how can they have anything but hope? At the moment it would be illegal to stage a speedway meeting in front of a paying public. For that to be possible it needs a number of decisions to be made by politicians at a high level. Once those decisions are made stadium owners and promoters will know what has to be in place before the public can be admitted to the stadiums. Then they can tell those planning to turn up at the meetings what they have to do to make that happen. 

Maybe some proactive promotion of the sport to politiicians to indicate what specific measures could be taken at their stadia  to comply with safe distancing ......I am sure the average politician has no idea what speedway is,  and probably thinks it attracts crowds of 60,000 people crammed together in seated grandstands.

Seems you can have a  riot, sorry a demonstration to smash up some statues and kick seven bells out of policeman just by handing out gloves and face masks to riotors, sorry demonstrators, so it cannot be that difficult to propose aprropriate safty measures specific to each track in the leagues??

I apologise to anyone offended by the use of the word  "promotion" in my post.