British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
davieb1

leicester lions track hire ?

20 minutes ago, davieb1 said:

how come everyone seems to be hiring Leicester speedway all of a sudden ?

Probably due to the choice of scunthorpe being the only other option available in the current situation , and as far as I know Leicester has been available for hire seven days a week for quite a few years now. Obviously not available if any pre arranged event has filled the date already. 

• Like 2

Middle of the country easier to get to than scunny for many ?

• Like 1

Maybe they have also been proactive in selling it.

Over the last ten seasons they have built up a good network of people who hire it throughout the season, they know what they get,  a well organised day, with a reasonable surface.  Possibly one difference this year is that its received more publicity as there are no competitive meetings.

Scunny was also open for practice yesterday. Bomber was there.

Leicester (or parts of) heading for lockdown, according to today's news. Most positive tests in the north of the city (where speedway track is) and east.

And before anyone puts 2+2 together and makes 5...I am not suggesting the speedway practice days are in any way connected with the rise.

A lockdown, however, would likely affect riders practising at the Leicester track.

The Leicester track is near one of the factory’s that has had an outbreak but the main area where many of the people live is about 4-5 miles away and any further lockdown will be more localised so don’t see any issues with Leicester practice sessions continuing.

Why Leicester has been popular this year is an interesting one but so know the clubs that have hired have been Southern based ones and more to come in July . Not sure why Kings Lynn have not been doing more but have heard Mr Chapman can’t be bothered with private hire any more. Also some young riders have said previously that they get more out of practicing at Leicester than Scunny as you have to ride and turn harder at Leicester so learn more .

I see Len Silver has Leicester booked for his 2 teams' practice.

As I suggested, Leicester now in lockdown. Shops and schools closed again and no non-essential travel to and from city. Restrictions tougher than those suggested on TV earlier

If the Govt are serious about this they will prevent Leicester City playing (@ the Kingpower as a minimum). If they don't do that then I would think it ok for Speedway practices to continue. (I also think that if they allow football to continue it gives anyone in Leicester who chooses to ignore the new restrictions 'an excuse')

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arnieg said:

If the Govt are serious about this they will prevent Leicester City playing (@ the Kingpower as a minimum). If they don't do that then I would think it ok for Speedway practices to continue. (I also think that if they allow football to continue it gives anyone in Leicester who chooses to ignore the new restrictions 'an excuse')

Totally agree, but we we will have wait and see, oas there has not be a lot of logic behind a number of there lockdown decisions.IMO

Premier League football seems to have special 'rights and privileges for whatever reason. Can't see a few lads with motorbikes wanting a skid will be granted any privileges.

This is also throws up the issue of if the BSPL re-starts league racing.

What happens if a club is in a town or city which gets locked down?

I see the government will be giving itself powers to legally enforce this new lockdown and any other.

And further update: PA media reports the health secretary also confirmed that a football match between Leicester City and Crystal Palace would go ahead this weekend...from the Guardian

Edited by Richard Weston
added about football being allowed

As Scunthorpe has had to cease ‘ Private Hire ‘ sessions due to complaints from the noise Leicester is possibly the only track running sessions.

1 hour ago, Richard Weston said:

Premier League football seems to have special 'rights and privileges for whatever reason. Can't see a few lads with motorbikes wanting a skid will be granted any privileges.

Football is multi billion-pound industry, that's why. Speedway isn't close to being a fraction of that.

• Like 1

Looks like Leicester have conceded they cannot run practice sessions.

Stewart Dickson has said on Twitter

"Saddened to see Leicester being put in lockdown for another 2 weeks but health always comes first. Guaranteed we will overcome this and will hear the noise of the bikes soon."

• Like 1