British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
davieb1

leicester lions track hire ?

It makes it harder to see any chance of League Speedway starting in August as they have been positively and optimistically talking up. which is a shame.

Hopefully everyone in Leicester will stay safe and the Track will be able to start practice sessions by the end of July or early August.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HGould said:

It makes it harder to see any chance of League Speedway starting in August as they have been positively and optimistically talking up. which is a shame.

Hopefully everyone in Leicester will stay safe and the Track will be able to start practice sessions by the end of July or early August.

Any form of racing will be a bonus this year. Fingers crossed we all get the chance to see something.

2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Any form of racing will be a bonus this year. Fingers crossed we all get the chance to see something.

Only racing I can see this year are challenge type matches with a home and away for an aggregate win. Won't be like a league, but having had no matches all year , hopefully would be well enough supported over the last few couple of months of the season. 

Edited by gazzac
  • Like 1

Along with a great many other businesses in Leicester that were ready to resume, it is grossly unfair that a problem rooted in one area of the city should have such an overall impact. There needs to be some balls to make decisions and put in place measures that would cause offense and produce a strong vocal reaction, but I can't see any local or national politicians growing a pair anytime soon.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Big Al said:

Along with a great many other businesses in Leicester that were ready to resume, it is grossly unfair that a problem rooted in one area of the city should have such an overall impact. There needs to be some balls to make decisions and put in place measures that would cause offense and produce a strong vocal reaction, but I can't see any local or national politicians growing a pair anytime soon.

But with something like speedway, it’s spectators will likely not only come from all areas of Leicester but from areas 20-30 miles or more beyond. I still don’t think there will be any speedway in the uk where spectators will be allowed, so no paying punters equals no speedway.  Of course speedway could be streamed but do British speedway promotors have the vision to do that?

6 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

But with something like speedway, it’s spectators will likely not only come from all areas of Leicester but from areas 20-30 miles or more beyond. I still don’t think there will be any speedway in the uk where spectators will be allowed, so no paying punters equals no speedway.  Of course speedway could be streamed but do British speedway promotors have the vision to do that?

Vision has little to do with it. Most of the clubs do not currently have the capability to do such a thing. It would need considerable investment from some and that is not going to happen in the current climate.

As I said it needs someone with the vision to go where they not been before, either that of speedway in the uk stays stagnant and rots away.

16 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

As I said it needs someone with the vision to go where they not been before, either that of speedway in the uk stays stagnant and rots away.

Key question is stopping people hijacking stream and viewing for free. The big TV companies spend a fortune to shut down illegal streams. It would not take many people watching without paying to completely ruin any hope of breaking even, letting alone making a profit.

19 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Key question is stopping people hijacking stream and viewing for free. The big TV companies spend a fortune to shut down illegal streams. It would not take many people watching without paying to completely ruin any hope of breaking even, letting alone making a profit.

Funny you mentioned that, as I was reading about this on local newspaper online

44 minutes ago, Badge said:

Funny you mentioned that, as I was reading about this on local newspaper online

Good one...streaming to 100,000 people. If he did speedway, with 100,000 viewers, no-one would pay

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Any thoughts as to how speedway might combat piracy, in the light of today's comments? 

I would value any ideas as to how to block illegal streams.

If they are valid and workable, let's tell speedway clubs how to do it. 

Personally, I have no idea but I am all in favour of crowd-sharing great ideas for the benefit of all.

There was a thread couple months ago, maybe less, where some contributors on here seemed knowledgable on streaming, maybe they would know about stream and blocking. If, not, there is likely to be someone out there in the uk speedway world that would provide info.

10 hours ago, lucky lee said:

iwade is running practice sessions

Hopefully a few amateur meetings will be on the horizon.

Latvia resume action next week, and Russia the week after. At that point GB will be the only nation not to have staged a single meeting since covid stopped play.