British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

geoff penniket

Any Prov. League fans remember Geoff, I recall him as a middle order rider for Newport in 1964(was with Long Eaton in 1963 I reckon) and then in the BL in 1965-not sure about 1966, but am pretty sure he was riding in 1967 for Poole-partnering Gote Nordin. Recall him scoring a max for Newport-maybe in 1964, I also think I recall he had an accident and lost part of a finger. Had an armchair style of riding. One of the stalwarts of speedway that we shouldn't forget-anyone know how he is doing these days, I think Vic White was in touch with him for a number of years.

• Like 1

I saw him ride on a number of occasions during my travels with the Hammers. Can’t say I have any memories though.

Geoff rode in 16 of New Cross's 17 matches in the Provincial League in 1963, averaging 5.49.

He was given a brief go at filling a reserve berth for Cradley in 1969, but ended up back at Long Eaton where he got an average of 9 plus. Last I remember him riding was for Workington the following season.

30 minutes ago, salty said:

He was given a brief go at filling a reserve berth for Cradley in 1969, but ended up back at Long Eaton where he got an average of 9 plus. Last I remember him riding was for Workington the following season.

also was a partner in a three way workington co-promotion . i think he was a bit touch and go to work with , so i am told .

I remember him riding briefly for the Romford Bombers in 1970. Finished his career at Workington the following year.

PENNIKET, Geoffrey (Geoff)

Born: May 22, 1936, Merton, London, England,*

Geoff had a career spanning over a decade and was based mainly in the south of the country. He was an armchair stylist and often under rated but could regularly turn in some decent performances against some of the leading riders in the sport. He started out as a rider in 1960 at Rye House and Rayleigh with his league debut coming for the Essex side the following season. He was understandably inconsistent in his debut year but showed what he could do with a paid maximum at home to Middlesbrough in mid-season and an 11 point score at Newcastle towards the end of the term. After spending the majority of the 1962 season without a team place Geoff joined New Cross and, after the mid-term closure of the ‘Rangers’, had a spell at Long Eaton before finally settling at Newport in 1964.

It was at Somerton Park that Geoff really made his name and he was a popular member of the side that won the Provincial League Knock-Out Cup in the club’s first season. He continued that popularity in the British League with the ‘Wasps’ in 1965 and rode at the top level of speedway for the first time. A maximum against Wimbledon proved that he was a respected performer and, although he never made an international appearance or got near to reaching a World Final, he was the kind of rider that opponents knew they had been in a race with and were glad to have beaten. After leaving South Wales at the end of the 1966 season, Geoff’s career went into a gradual slide until he dropped into the Second Division with Long Eaton in 1969. He proved to be a great asset in that division, initially for the Station Road club and then for Romford and Workington, showing the way to the younger element and supplying some first class scoring in the process. Geoff’s career was sadly brought to an end by serious arm injuries suffered in a crash at his home Derwent Park track on May 14, 1971.

Year

Club

Division

M

R

P

BP

TP

CMA

FM

PM

Rayleigh

PL

-

Plymouth

PL

-

-

New Cross

PL

-

-

Long Eaton

PL

-

-

Newport

PL

-

-

Newport

BL

-

Newport

BL

-

-

Poole

BL

-

-

King’s Lynn

BL1

-

-

King’s Lynn

BL1

-

-

Cradley Heath

BL1

-

-

Long Eaton

BL2

-

Romford

BL2

-

-

Workington

BL2

Workington

BL2

-

-

Team Honours: Provincial League Knock-Out Cup winner 1964.

• Like 2

Was my fave Ranger in 1963.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, auntie doris said:

Was my fave Ranger in 1963.

I think I attended all of the New Cross home matches that year so  I saw quite a lot of Geoff Penniket.

I seem to remember him being one of the few riders who rode in a helmet with no peak. Cyril Roger was another. It's funny the things that I can remember from those bygone days when I can't remember what I had for breakfast - LOL.  

Edited by Split
correction
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Split said:

I think I attended all of the New Cross home matches that year so  I saw quite a lot of Geoff Penniket.

I seem to remember him being one of the few riders who rode in a helmet with no peak. Cyril Roger was another. It's funny the things that I can remember from those bygone days when I can't remember what I had for breakfast - LOL.  

Fried eggs, streaky bacon, cornflakes, shredded wheat?:D

11 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Fried eggs, streaky bacon, cornflakes, shredded wheat?:D

Not on the same plate I hope?

• Haha 1

Remember him riding in the Kings Lynn team in 1968. It was when I got my first car (a Ford Prefect) and I started to make the weekly trip from my home in Norwich to Saddlebow Road, after the Norwich Firs Stadium had closed in 1964. I used the same Ford Prefect to go and support Howard Cole in his appearance in the World Final at Wembley, and fortunately it made it there and back without breaking down!

• Like 2

I remember he would come to workington sometimes on the train saw him pushing his bike from the station about 100 yrds to the track, seem to recall taffy owen coming off on the back straight and geoff catching his bike am sure geoff was on a brand new jawa that night !

• Like 1