British Speedway Forum

Has anyone visited recently, I believe the big bottom bar under the main grandstand is all open now and in general people are entering daily to have a look around?

I am told this is a reference to motorsport/speedway at Brandon Stadium, Coventry. On my part I cannot seem to trace it. Can anyone please find and explain what it is all about? Thank you: === 'Lawrence v Coventry (No. 3) [2015] Supreme Court judgment'

1 hour ago, JohnHyam said:

I am told this is a reference to motorsport/speedway at Brandon Stadium, Coventry. On my part I cannot seem to trace it. Can anyone please find and explain what it is all about? Thank you: === 'Lawrence v Coventry (No. 3) [2015] Supreme Court judgment'

I think you will find that this is, in fact, the case regarding Mildenhall Speedway & two local residents. 

Nothing to do with Brandon Stadium whatsoever

Quick Update - Nothing's changed at Coventry but they have beefed up security to make it harder to access the site unless you really wanted to get in.

• Like 2

On 10/22/2020 at 9:55 AM, JohnHyam said:

John

The point I was making in my post and another part of this forum is that the judgment in Coventry v Lawrence [2015]  UKSC 50 following on from the previous cases in relation to issue. Coventry (t/a RDC Promotions) v Lawrence [2014] UKSC 146; [2015] AC 106 and the significant judgment in Coventry v Lawrence [2014] UKSC 13.; Coventry (t/a RDC Promotions Ltd) v Lawrence [212] EWCA Civ 216; Lawrence v Fen Tigers Ltd [2011] EWHC 360 (QB) N.B. This case is also known as Lawrence v Mildenhall Fen Tigers, with the judgments in the 2011 and 2012 no longer followed.. Is that after the Supreme Court [2015[ is that private nuisance for noise will be an issue and impact upon all motor sport venues in the future. This is clear too see when reading these judgements.

4 hours ago, ChrisSimpson said:

Also had a quick look at the old Stoke Speedway last week here's a link to the video...…

All very depressing.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2020 at 9:55 AM, JohnHyam said:

1 hour ago, Robbie B said:

John

The point I was making in my post and another part of this forum is that the judgment in Coventry v Lawrence [2015]  UKSC 50 following on from the previous cases in relation to issue. Coventry (t/a RDC Promotions) v Lawrence [2014] UKSC 146; [2015] AC 106 and the significant judgment in Coventry v Lawrence [2014] UKSC 13.; Coventry (t/a RDC Promotions Ltd) v Lawrence [212] EWCA Civ 216; Lawrence v Fen Tigers Ltd [2011] EWHC 360 (QB) N.B. This case is also known as Lawrence v Mildenhall Fen Tigers, with the judgments in the 2011 and 2012 no longer followed.. Is that after the Supreme Court [2015[ is that private nuisance for noise will be an issue and impact upon all motor sport venues in the future. This is clear too see when reading these judgements.

John, your confusion may be because one of the key parties in the Mildenhall noise saga is a gentleman by the name of Dave Coventry. This explains the references to ‘Coventry’ which have no relation to the speedway Club, formerly of Brandon Stadium.

• Like 1

Dave and Ron Coventry are RDC promotions Ltd that can lead to some confusion regarding the names of the cases.

For John below is the last 2014 significant case. Strange that this case in on the legal databases such as Westlaw, LawTel etc and LexisNexis etc but not listed in full on the Supreme Court. website from the BAILLI website

https://www.bailii.org/uk/cases/UKSC/2014/13.html

cost from the Supreme Court website.

https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/uksc-2012-0076.html

The Lawrence's in these cases used 'Conditional Fee Arrangement' lawyers also known as no-win-no-fee. Their lawyers received a big uplift in fees upon winning their case. The overall court cost had its own hearing due to the uplifted fees, well in the hundreds of thousands, of pounds.

Edited by Robbie B

16 hours ago, steve roberts said:

All very depressing.

Tidiest I've ever seen it though...

• Like 1

Stoke looks no different now to what it did 20 years ago :D

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 12:29 PM, ChrisSimpson said:

Also had a quick look at the old Stoke Speedway last week here's a link to the video...…

What, Stoke as in Loomer Road? :sad:

Edited by ancient mariner